I started my first Saltwater tank... And I know nothing...

OP
OP
Jon Snow

Jon Snow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just an update. I talked to some folks from the local reefing community and they offered to help my drill and plumb the tank. So I could use that sump sitting in my garage.

So I might order a Eshopps Eclipse I think the Small would work but maybe the Medium?

I also saw a very cool thread from another forum where a guy cut the back wall out of his Biocube since he was drilling it anyways. Gave him a lot of extra room to play with and drilling it mostly made the back channels useless anyways. I'm really considering it now.

Will update later if I decide to pull the trigger or not. I would have to find a way to paint the fuge window in the back of the tank is the only real hurdle I see there.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The truly best part of this hobby/addiction is the willingness of people to experiment and try new or different approaches. Awesome! I have an Eclipse L on my DT. Nice unit. Works well.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just an update. I talked to some folks from the local reefing community and they offered to help my drill and plumb the tank. So I could use that sump sitting in my garage.

So I might order a Eshopps Eclipse I think the Small would work but maybe the Medium?

I also saw a very cool thread from another forum where a guy cut the back wall out of his Biocube since he was drilling it anyways. Gave him a lot of extra room to play with and drilling it mostly made the back channels useless anyways. I'm really considering it now.

Will update later if I decide to pull the trigger or not. I would have to find a way to paint the fuge window in the back of the tank is the only real hurdle I see there.
Welcome To R2R Jon !!! The Eshopps Eclipse S would be enough for a 29g. I have one on my 40G and is enough for the water volume.

OP
OP
Jon Snow

Jon Snow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome To R2R Jon !!! The Eshopps Eclipse S would be enough for a 29g. I have one on my 40G and is enough for the water volume.

Awesome. Good to know!

Your name is "Jon Snow" though. That means it will take many, many years until you find out what happens next! ;)

And that’s the truth. I’m trying to start from a place of. I know nothing. At least I get to avoid pride based mistakes.

OP
OP
Jon Snow

Jon Snow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update!

I ordered all the plumbing to run a new overflow and returns and I'm waiting for that to come in. Should be in by the end of this week.
I also drained the tank and moved everything over to the back up tank just to try and keep the bacteria on the rocks and sand alive(that might not make any since but I know nothing remember).

I did this so I could remove the back false wall and now that is done I need to find some sort of paint to cover up the fuge window.

I picked up the Eshopps Eclipse S Overflow and a Used(for 3 months) Eshopps S-120 Protein Skimmer for $150.
I ordered all the pipe and fittings in Schedule 80 just because I like the grey look.
I'll post more pictures once it's drilled and set up. Probably this weekend if I'm luck.

IMG_0275.jpg

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do I keep getting recommend the Ocellaris because according to my LFS they are one of the smaller breeds and are pretty hardy. Plus being so common if I have a big fail I'm not out $100 a fish.

Sounds like a plan. The tank is only 2 inches off the wall so I might have to do a pretty heavy water change so I can move the tank and stand off the wall enough to scrape the paint off.
I'm still really fighting between the ideas of drilling it and installing the sump or getting the Intank systems and keeping it AIO.
I currently have a 29 gallon cube with sump in cabinet. I'm upgrading to a 120 but had to do some minor renovation to the house before having a good spot for the bigger tank. After the renovation (removing fireplace) we needed new carpet before the tank could be put in place. I didn't remove any water, just turned off the pumps so water would drain some into the sump. Tilted the tank slightly and placed those moving discs under each corner of the tank and slowly scooted it to a new location to allow for carpet instal. Maybe that could work for you also? Being only 30 gallons makes it easier to move than the big tanks. I wouldn't have tried it with anything bigger.
Welcome to R2R!! You'll love it here!
IMG_1830.JPG

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update!

I ordered all the plumbing to run a new overflow and returns and I'm waiting for that to come in. Should be in by the end of this week.
I also drained the tank and moved everything over to the back up tank just to try and keep the bacteria on the rocks and sand alive(that might not make any since but I know nothing remember).

I did this so I could remove the back false wall and now that is done I need to find some sort of paint to cover up the fuge window.

I picked up the Eshopps Eclipse S Overflow and a Used(for 3 months) Eshopps S-120 Protein Skimmer for $150.
I ordered all the pipe and fittings in Schedule 80 just because I like the grey look.
I'll post more pictures once it's drilled and set up. Probably this weekend if I'm luck.

IMG_0275.jpg
Acrylic paint works well for painting the glass. Just requires numerous coats to completely black out.

OP
OP
Jon Snow

Jon Snow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic paint works well for painting the glass. Just requires numerous coats to completely black out.

I was thinking about using a matte black spray paint but was going to do some research before I did anything.

I filled the tank up half way for a leak test and everything seems to be good. So I’m going to drain it so I can take it outside to paint and drill. I can’t wait for these karts to come in. Ugh. Lol

Arcticfirefighter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used acrylic black paint from Hobby Lobby and rolled it on. Took about 4 coats and its completely blacked out. If you go with acrylic, just make sure you really let it dry in between coats or it will pull up. I used a small 4 inch solid foam roller from Home Depot, and it worked great, came out really smooth.

Welcome to R2R!!

OP
OP
Jon Snow

Jon Snow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the drilling myself. Was not perfect at all and last min I decided to add a second dedicated return pump and line so I’m off to pick up and a couple more fittings and a second pump. Maybe a second Sicce 1.0 but maybe I should go for a 1.5 I’m not sure. I’d love some thoughts there.

601A70F7-2331-4B91-B17D-B41F798FB0BF.jpeg

8FC1FADB-71AC-46C5-A583-FB347FA30FE8.jpeg

4173271E-3947-4D81-888B-D4BB1F11818C.jpeg

OP
OP
Jon Snow

Jon Snow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a second pump plumed in so now it’s just getting the water ready and on to phase two.

Currently have two Sicce pumps 1.5 & 1.0
Eshoppes S-120 Gen 4 Protien Skimmer
Two heaters one Cobalt and one Eheim
One Hydor Koralina 425
Sump is made by Building An Obsession

Got some really great plumbing advice and ideas from a local reefer and @Bulk Reef Supply
Really glad to have good resources for help.

89431F69-F62C-460B-BFCE-E20EB80E66E6.jpeg

1BE04783-8B1E-4DDB-BB3C-889A30B21406.jpeg

7E033C19-095E-401F-BDCE-CB946C546947.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back