I started my first Saltwater tank... And I know nothing...

Jon Snow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi you can call me Jon,

I kept a freshwater tank for a few years but was always really drawn to saltwater fish. After rehoming my fish to a friend so I didn't kill them in a long move I decided it was time to start over and take the dive into my first saltwater tank.

It's been an interesting journey so far. The first Biocube I tried to by the seller accidentally broke taking the overflow off. Accidents happen and the guy was really kind and ended up giving me the tank, a custom stand with a ReefKeeper Lite Plus(only thing missing was the SID V2), a build in sump, and the overflow box, and boxes and buckets of supplies.

So I sought out another Biocube found another 29g Biocube with one of the new 32g LED hoods that also came with all the pumps and heaters and all that stuff. Plus the tank wasn't broken and was super clean, so that was a plus.

I pulled out and cleaned the sump storing it for later.

20 pounds of live sand a bit of dry rock I really fell in love with and some saltwater later.
The tank has been cycling for a month now.

I put two heaters in one set to come on only if the first one fails.
Put some Filter Floss, Cheato, and a bag of activated carbon in the back with a light.

I'm just starting to get my first brown algae bloom and I think I noticed few amphipods floating around the tank after I added the Cheato. Whenever the water gets right then we can look at stocking.

I'd love to start with 2 clowns and a goby (plus the cuc).

Looking forward to getting know and learn for everyone here.

Ammonia .02 ppm
Nitrite 2 ppm
Nitrate 50 ppm
Salinity 1.025
Ph 8
Alk 162 ppm

Tank9.14.18.jpg

Last edited:

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to r2r!!!Ya know what they say"things happen for a reason".Sounds like your reason was a better tank.We look forward to some pictures in the future.Good luck my friend.
edit: instant ocean is a great salt and the biggest names in the business like Jason fox use it exclusively and we all know what he does.No sense in buying expensive salt especially sense you are just starting out.I can't stand when someone says io. is a cheap way to go.Check out my 200 gal build thread.It's all instant ocean and always will be!
CHECK OUT THIS THREAD Salt Mix Of The SPS Keepers

Last edited:

Reefinmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! It looks like your cycle is nearly finished out!

I'm getting back in the hobby full swing again and the best piece of advice I can give to someone new is DO NOT SKIMP ON TEST KITS and test every new bucket of salt. In the past I always used cheap API test kits, instant ocean and a hydrometer so that is what I bought initially. The API kits are all horribly inaccurate. Get two accurate ways to measure each parameter you need to monitor. Nyos, red sea and salifert makes good kits. The hanna alk checker is a wonderful investment but the rest of their checkers have mixed reviews and accuracy. A refractometer and 35ppt calibration solution is a MUST as well. Once your cycle finishes I wouldn't worry much about testing or buying multiple kits for nitrIte or ammonia. I haven't bought one the past ten years I've had tanks running.

OP
OP
Jon Snow

Jon Snow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! It looks like your cycle is nearly finished out!

I'm getting back in the hobby full swing again and the best piece of advice I can give to someone new is DO NOT SKIMP ON TEST KITS and test every new bucket of salt. In the past I always used cheap API test kits, instant ocean and a hydrometer so that is what I bought initially. The API kits are all horribly inaccurate. Get two accurate ways to measure each parameter you need to monitor. Nyos, red sea and salifert makes good kits. The hanna alk checker is a wonderful investment but the rest of their checkers have mixed reviews and accuracy. A refractometer and 35ppt calibration solution is a MUST as well. Once your cycle finishes I wouldn't worry much about testing or buying multiple kits for nitrIte or ammonia. I haven't bought one the past ten years I've had tanks running.

Very cool. I plan to start testing at home once I've gotten past the first cycle. My LFSs have been very helpful so far which has been great.

OP
OP
Jon Snow

Jon Snow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to r2r!!!Ya know what they say"things happen for a reason".Sounds like your reason was a better tank.We look forward to some pictures in the future.Good luck my friend.
edit: instant ocean is a great salt and the biggest names in the business like Jason fox use it exclusively and we all know what he does.No sense in buying expensive salt especially sense you are just starting out.I can't stand when someone says io. is a cheap way to go.Check out my 200 gal build thread.It's all instant ocean and always will be!
CHECK OUT THIS THREAD Salt Mix Of The SPS Keepers

The salt I got with my first set up is Red Sea pro something or another. I don’t even really how or when I’m going to start mixing my own saltwater. Not counting the first time.

I’m still trying to figure out why my tanks temp is hanging out around 78F when I have one heater set to 76.5F and the other set to 75F on my RKL and both have been off for a couple of hours. Lol. Will investigate more tomorrow.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back