I suddenly need a 50% higher alk than Ca dose, any ideas?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fritz05
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Fritz05

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 4, 2021
Messages
215
Reaction score
197
Location
Orange County
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 65g mixed reef and use Randy’s 2-part dosing:

380 g of soda ash in 1 gallon of water
450g of CaCl in 1 gallon of water
90g of Balling Part C with 100 g of Seachem Reef Advantage Magnesium

For a long time my daily doses were

100 ml of the soda ash solution
95 ml of the CaCl solution
200 ml of the Part C plus Mg solution

Alk was stable at around 8 and Ca at 450ppm.

Over the last two months I had to increase the soda ash dose to 130ml per day to maintain stable alk.
My Ca-levels increased to 520 without an increase in the dosing of CaCl.

I have not changed any livestock (only last week I removed two larger SPS colonies).

I use the same bag of soda ash. It has not clumped and its pH is strongly alkaline, so it has not turned to sodium bicarbonate.

I tested Mg, and while I know Mg tests are not very accurate, it showed 1400ppm, so appears fine.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new