I think i beat dino twice!

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if anyone has seen my previous posts, I have been talking alot about my tanks having ostreopsis dino and what I can do to fix it. I followed the advice of a bunch of fellow reefers and i think i have successfully beaten the dino in both of my tanks!
10g:
The dino in this tank was horrendous. It consumed all the live rock and killed almost all my hermit crabs (no snail death somehow) it was an unbelievable amount of dino. Luckily the tank now looks better than it ever has and my coral has never looked better
1) out of panic I ordered dinox and used it for a few days. During the first 4 treatments the dino seemed to just get worse at an exponential rate which made me discontinue the use of it
2) after wising up a little bit I added a uv steralizer and started to dose 1ml peroxide to the tank every night for 7 days with no success
3) I was starting to lose my mind so I decided to encase the entire tank in cardboard for 72 hours. After the 72 hour blackout the dino population was greatly weakened.... I was making progress
4) I at this point took all of my rocks and corals out of the tank, scrubbed them in a bucket and filtered all the tank water through a 5 micron filter sock.
5) I continued peroxide and uv for another few days until the sand and rocks were clean as can be
6) it's been some time now and I have not seen a shed of dino yet! My nutrience is at a good level and I am confident it is beaten

20g:
The process for curing the dino was much easier in my 20g than the 10g and I was able to clear it out in way less steps.
1) I added uv steralizer and 2ml peroxide nightly for a week
2) I added a better wavemaker to keep the dink from settling
3) I started to dose phyto and increased feedings
The dino is completely gone from this tank as well. However I'm going to continue peroxide and uv until I am certain it will not come back.

To end this horribly long post I just want to say I was suprised beating dino in nano tanks could be so easy, it was indeed trying and required insane persistence but it was not an experience that could ever mess up my view on the hobby. If anyone is wanting before and after pics I will be happy to Supply some in the morning. Thank you for taking the time to read about my experience!

dking271

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have beaten Dino on multiple occasions and have had to use multiple solutions. The same solution didn’t always work each time and on most occasions it was ostreopsis I was fighting. I Am winning my current battle after my nutrients crashed, but it hasn’t been easy. I am hopeful that I can declare victory in the next few weeks. Congrats on winning your battle! It takes persistence.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad too hear you beat it ...I have also beaten it twice now ..the last time for me I did almost quit a couple of times ...but with good advice from here and perseverance I won through ...happy reefing ..!!

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I beat them over a year ago and they never came back because I maintain nutrients now. Much easier to prevent them than fight them.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats and sorry I missed the initial post.

I would highly recommend anyone who has gone through this to research Oxydators. They slow release O2 and H2O2 continuously and can possibly help stave off a reinfestation.

I've taken two tanks through startup with Oxydators since coming back to the hobby last year. I have not had a single issue with dinoflagellates in either one...

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So if anyone has seen my previous posts, I have been talking alot about my tanks having ostreopsis dino and what I can do to fix it. I followed the advice of a bunch of fellow reefers and i think i have successfully beaten the dino in both of my tanks!
10g:
The dino in this tank was horrendous. It consumed all the live rock and killed almost all my hermit crabs (no snail death somehow) it was an unbelievable amount of dino. Luckily the tank now looks better than it ever has and my coral has never looked better
1) out of panic I ordered dinox and used it for a few days. During the first 4 treatments the dino seemed to just get worse at an exponential rate which made me discontinue the use of it
2) after wising up a little bit I added a uv steralizer and started to dose 1ml peroxide to the tank every night for 7 days with no success
3) I was starting to lose my mind so I decided to encase the entire tank in cardboard for 72 hours. After the 72 hour blackout the dino population was greatly weakened.... I was making progress
4) I at this point took all of my rocks and corals out of the tank, scrubbed them in a bucket and filtered all the tank water through a 5 micron filter sock.
5) I continued peroxide and uv for another few days until the sand and rocks were clean as can be
6) it's been some time now and I have not seen a shed of dino yet! My nutrience is at a good level and I am confident it is beaten

20g:
The process for curing the dino was much easier in my 20g than the 10g and I was able to clear it out in way less steps.
1) I added uv steralizer and 2ml peroxide nightly for a week
2) I added a better wavemaker to keep the dink from settling
3) I started to dose phyto and increased feedings
The dino is completely gone from this tank as well. However I'm going to continue peroxide and uv until I am certain it will not come back.

To end this horribly long post I just want to say I was suprised beating dino in nano tanks could be so easy, it was indeed trying and required insane persistence but it was not an experience that could ever mess up my view on the hobby. If anyone is wanting before and after pics I will be happy to Supply some in the morning. Thank you for taking the time to read about my experience!

Congrats on beating them! What kind of uv sterilizer did you use during the process?

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on your victory! The wonderful issues we deal with as reef tank owners..

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back