I think I broke my bulb...

shananigans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night when I was feeding my fish some water dripped down my arm right on to my MH bulb! It started sparking and went out! I unplugged the ballast immediately but the bulb was out before I got a chance. Should I try putting it back in tonight and firing it up or is it best to just buy a new one... I just don't want to get electricuted or break anything else... this sux. I had a firework show for the fish :sad:

Cuda

Hunter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was on and hot , water hitting the bulb could crack or shatter the bulb. I would make sure power is unplugged and make sure water did not get in the contacts. If it did it could have arch welded them and trashed um so no bulb will work safe. Sounds more like water in contacts than on bulb itself from your discription. Take bulb out and clean everything dry before you do any bulb checking.

Be safe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
shananigans

shananigans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes is was on and hot... sparked like a sparkler for a couple seconds before I got the ballast unplugged. I took it out of the reflector and it is sitting out to dry. I am afraid to plug it back in because I don't want it to shatter if it is damaged and get a bunch of glass in my tank or hurt myself. I am trying to learn but am still not knowledgeable in electricity. I am thinking about just buying a new bulb and not testing this one because I'm afraid. I don't know what to do...

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh, wow...

so, um, where exactly did the water go? as stated above, if the glass gets water on it, it can shatter. other than that, if it didn't break it wouldn't spark. now if the contacts got water, especially saltwater, there's your sparking. your bulbs also have glass shields. how'd this happen? your lights are up and away from your tank opening when the canopy is open. metal halides really aren't that different from other fixtures, just different components and a ballast. you definitely don't want any fixture wet though :)

if it makes you feel better i had water run down an extension cord to one of my koralias when i switched everything over and it sparked and smoked like crazy when the water hit the end of the plug. happens to a lot of people at some point. be careful.

let me know and i can look at your fixture if you'd like...

OP
OP
shananigans

shananigans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the saga continues... fireball shot out of ballast last night... looks like a bulb is the least of my worries now :tongue:

OP
OP
shananigans

shananigans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
500 .. I was actually borrowing it from Jhildebrand until I could save up for my own.. so now I have no ballast and broke someone elses.. the bulb seems to be fine though so there's a plus!

tc269

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when it rains it pours i know that feeling also..

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 45 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 27.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 53 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.2%

Back