I think I have Lyngbya - Best way to get rid of it, please share your experience?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
pennecillin ?
Scrubbing with toothbrush and peroxide solution in a bucket of tank water is best method. After scrubbing, agitate and then return rock to tank. Add cleaners such as carribean blue leg hermits, pitho crabs, pin cushion urchin, lg astrea snails and chiton snails

Reefrats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having somewhat luck after running flucazonal twice and chemi clean. It’s super weak now and I’m hitting it with 35% peroxide every other day as well as cleaning and scraping what comes up.
Thanks good to know. I am questioning my source for the Azithromycin and fluconozole I ran. I am going to run fluconozole again and then Azithromycin again from different sources. So frustrating. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Reefrats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps try a penicillin?

I guess at this point it can’t hurt. Any idea what dosage for lyngbya? I recently found some articles which I believe confirm species and identified two sea hares that apparently eat it but not readily available in the aquarium trade.

Reefrats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having somewhat luck after running flucazonal twice and chemi clean. It’s super weak now and I’m hitting it with 35% peroxide every other day as well as cleaning and scraping what comes up.
That’s great! I’m questioning the source I used for fluconozole and Azithromycin. Running reef flux now and have Azithromycin ready to go - from a different source. I’ve heard that chemi clean used to be erythromycin but is something else now. So frustrating.

juarec0201

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I found during my battle is meds usually give rise to other nuisance algae’s to take over. Correcting very low or high nutrients is key. Consistent Manuel removal and avoid drastic techniques. Dosing beneficial bacteria not in bottle but something like AF life force for diversity to compete with the uglies. Also dosing pods and phyto help. If nutrients aren’t corrected something else will just take over. When I beat back lyngbia a very aggressive wirey algae took over followed by dinos. Very long battle and once I corrected my nutrients and stopped dosing meds with what I mentioned above. My tank started growing crazy coraline and back to normal.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 32.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back