i think i have palytoxin poisoning

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JUST KIDDING!!! :hammer:

but i got the great idea last night to scrub some of this annoying algae off my rocks. and i woke up this morning and my thumb is throbing, and i can see a small puncture wound.

i'm pretty sure i got stabbed by one of these forminiferan (sp?) things i have all over my live rock.

they are dark maroon, with pointy tips. they dont move around, and you cant get them off the rock.

they are just kinda *there* like coraline algae. but man they are sharp. probably should have been wearing my big rubber gloves.

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i punctured my finger on one of the snail/tube worm things yesterday, i just got it out today

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah those too! those can be just as sharp as those other things. they also suck. it could have been one of those also.

they account for at least 75% of the times i've bled when messing with the tank, they are hard and hollow, and slice into me like an apple corer

rackyrane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, y'all are scaring the life out of me. I'm beginning to not want to put my hand back in my tank. (Yeah, like that's going to happen.)

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank goodness I never any tank related reactions! I wear Nitrile gloves! I have had anxiety attacks thinking I was going to have a reaction!!!

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those little hard worm tubes that are like needles would cut right through a thin blue nitrile glove.

i wear blue nitrile gloves at work all of the time and defnitely aren't meant for handling rough objects. i routinely bust mine open.

btw...acetone eats them up pretty badly. lol

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much as I wash my hands after fragging palys (I don't wear gloves) I really have to be really careful about rubbing my eyes the rest of the day! 2x now, they've blown up & gotten crusted shut.

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much as I wash my hands after fragging palys (I don't wear gloves) I really have to be really careful about rubbing my eyes the rest of the day! 2x now, they've blown up & gotten crusted shut.

ive had the same thing happen to me, my vision gets hazy, light is refracted into a rainbow around bright lights, my eyes get bloodshot and burn. it lasted a few days one time, i'm guessing it is just some marine bacteria that does well in our salty eyes.

i also use nitrile gloves in work, and they wouldnt' last two minutes in the tank before being torn.

anomie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those little hard worm tubes that are like needles would cut right through a thin blue nitrile glove.

i wear blue nitrile gloves at work all of the time and defnitely aren't meant for handling rough objects. i routinely bust mine open.

btw...acetone eats them up pretty badly. lol

Could you tell me a little more about how you use the acetone? I've got tons of these guys. Its the one thing I seem to grow really, really well in my tank.:smile:

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you tell me a little more about how you use the acetone? I've got tons of these guys. Its the one thing I seem to grow really, really well in my tank.:smile:

i believe he meant it eats up the nitrile gloves.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol yeah, acetone eats up the nitrile gloves i wear at work. i dont recomend using acetone for anything in the fish tank. ;)

yeah, i rubbed my eye with a wet finger that had just put a rock back in the fish tank. my eye has been itching and been red the past 2 days. putting out all kinds of crusty stuff and gunk.

could be bacteria in the water of course. i wasn't handling any zoas or other corals, so no reason to suspect a poisoning.

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should really be cautious when doing anything with zoas/palys. I got shot in the eye once when I touched a polyp out of water. I washed my eye out immediately but it didn't help. By the end of the week my eyeball was red, around my eye was swollen and I had the feeling of pressure around me eye.

The doctor had never heard of such a thing so there was no help there. I got a prescription for pink-eye which may have helped, but by that time the swelling and redness was going away on it's own. It took about 2.5-3 weeks for all the symptoms to go away. Not fun. I know have a set of safety goggles that I keep near my tank.

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should really be cautious when doing anything with zoas/palys. I got shot in the eye once when I touched a polyp out of water. I washed my eye out immediately but it didn't help. By the end of the week my eyeball was red, around my eye was swollen and I had the feeling of pressure around me eye.

The doctor had never heard of such a thing so there was no help there. I got a prescription for pink-eye which may have helped, but by that time the swelling and redness was going away on it's own. It took about 2.5-3 weeks for all the symptoms to go away. Not fun. I know have a set of safety goggles that I keep near my tank.

i got a diagnosis of conjuctivitis, which is pink eye, and he said it could be viral, bacterial or allergic, though he ruled out viral. ive had it happen three times, the second was the worst and lasted 3-5 days; the other times it;s been gone within 24 hours

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back