Why I dip everything….

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s good to! I know I’m not the only one that’s meticulous about dipping and hates them/they aren’t welcome in my tanks.
Why do you hate them so much? They usually mind their own buisness! In my opinion, they are kind of cool to watch.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why do you hate them so much? They usually mind their own buisness! In my opinion, they are kind of cool to watch.
Because they creep me out I’m not a worm or creepy crawly person. They remind me too much of a centipede. Everyone has their own fears some people don’t like spiders, some don’t like heights, mine is worms and worm shaped things. I have aiptasia and I’m okay with that because it’s isolated and doesn’t move and hasn’t spread I’ve had a single aiptasia or two for years actually.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And to add because I’ve seen tanks overwhelmed by bristleworms which no one wants either and if I let just a few in that would happen to me because I’m guilty of over feeding and over stocking my tank and I have high nutrients. Since I know it would happen to me so I don’t give them the opportunity to be added. And I’m not the only one who really hates them either.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because they creep me out I’m not a worm or creepy crawly person. They remind me too much of a centipede. Everyone has their own fears some people don’t like spiders, some don’t like heights, mine is worms and worm shaped things. I have aiptasia and I’m okay with that because it’s isolated and doesn’t move and hasn’t spread I’ve had a single aiptasia or two for years actually.
I completely understand. I was just wondering if there was a specific reason as to why. I know many people who don't like creepy crawlies, so no worries.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I completely understand. I was just wondering if there was a specific reason as to why. I know many people who don't like creepy crawlies, so no worries.
Mainly just a me thing but I did have a childhood horror where I found a black worm that looked like a leech and probably was a leech in my hair so I do attribute it to some childhood trauma which is a longer story. And because I work in the seafood industry I see and know too many things about parasites in the food/fish we eat among other things which I try not to think about.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a very good article written by a well renowned scientist and marine aficionado... ANY of the things we usually call bristleworms can be considered fireworms since their "bristles" will irritate most predators (and most humans if we touch them). Some do actually have venom in the bristles but are still harmless to tank inhabitants since they only "smell" or detect dead matter, not live organisms and are not at all predatory.

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably have hundreds in my tank and the only time I see them peek out of the rock work is at night or during feeding time. It's pretty much impossible to overfeed my tank with how well they eat every last bit.

smitten with ocean life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
watch out! thats how mine started:disappointed-face:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back