Why I dip everything….

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got coral from someone local and when I saw the mushroom on this rock I knew for a fact that it wouldn’t be going in my tank for multiple reasons including the hair algae. But just look at these massive fireworms and bristleworms. YIKES! The seller was so shocked and disappointed to know they were both in their tank they were tearing down to upgrade. So I yanked the mushroom off the rock and it split but I’m not worried as those things are virtually indestructible he’s not happy but he’s very much alive. And everyone will tank me later when they aren’t eaten or stung by these atrocities.:) Because there was so many of them on this little rock and they are massive.
IMG_7195.jpeg

IMG_7194.jpeg

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got coral from someone local and when I saw the mushroom on this rock I knew for a fact that it wouldn’t be going in my tank. Look at these massive fireworms and bristleworms. YIKES! The seller was so shocked and disappointed to know they were both in their tank they were tearing down to upgrade. So I yanked the mushroom off the rock and it split but I’m not worried as those things are virtually indestructible he’s not happy but he’s very much alive. And everyone will tank me later when they aren’t eaten or stung by these atrocities.:) Because there was so many of them on this little rock and they are massive.
IMG_7195.jpeg

IMG_7194.jpeg
I’d bet my paycheck they’re already in your tank!

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’d bet my paycheck they’re already in your tank!
I actually look at night and am very meticulous about turning over my rocks and looking and then dipping everything and dipping them again if I do see something. And the one tank I can confidently say they aren’t in is my pufferfish tank. My pufferfish tank has nothing in it but pods and mysis shrimp. If you don’t introduce them they won’t be in the tank it’s as simple as that.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got coral from someone local and when I saw the mushroom on this rock I knew for a fact that it wouldn’t be going in my tank for multiple reasons including the hair algae. But just look at these massive fireworms and bristleworms. YIKES! The seller was so shocked and disappointed to know they were both in their tank they were tearing down to upgrade. So I yanked the mushroom off the rock and it split but I’m not worried as those things are virtually indestructible he’s not happy but he’s very much alive. And everyone will tank me later when they aren’t eaten or stung by these atrocities.:) Because there was so many of them on this little rock and they are massive.
IMG_7195.jpeg

IMG_7194.jpeg
So you're mad you got some free cuc with your coral?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually look at night and am very meticulous about turning over my rocks and looking and then dipping everything and dipping them again if I do see something. And the one tank I can confidently say they aren’t in is my pufferfish tank. My pufferfish tank has nothing in it but pods and mysis shrimp. If you don’t introduce them they won’t be in the tank it’s as simple as that.
One egg makes it in your tank then game over… I’ll never figure out why people are so scared of them. I welcome them.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yikes...fireworms are bad. Makes me think I should start dipping my corals... but ugh... another expense, lol.
See fireworms are indeed bad bad bad. I personally don’t like any bristleworms but to each their own.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One egg makes it in your tank then game over… I’ll never figure out why people are so scared of them. I welcome them.
You welcome fireworms? Lol, I assume you mean bristle worms, and so do I.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You welcome fireworms? Lol, I assume you mean bristle worms, and so do I.
A lot of it is semantics... There is one type of fireworm, not very common in the hobby, that will eat your coral... All the rest - bristle, fire, whatever - are detritivores and harmless to your little piece of the ocean.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah but in OP's post she mentioned fireworms, so I thought maybe they weren't pictured. My bad.
It is pictured! The fireworm is under the top bristleworm. Maybe you can’t tell but it is in fact a fireworm.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the only one that's a problem:
Hermodice carunculata, the bearded fireworm, is a type of marine bristleworm belonging to the Amphinomidae family, native to the tropical Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back