I think I have scared myself. Please advise

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I have some pink (when more blue lights are on) zoa's, that are encroaching on another coral. I took some hemostats and tried to take them off the rock, so that I could thin them out, away from this thing...No idea what coral it is, It's been a while. I did it all under water, no cuts or scrapes on myself, and now I am almost panicked about palytoxin. I did have on glasses, and I put them in a dish of water from my tank, and then threw them in the trash.
I am to the point, I do not want any zoa's at all now. how do I know what is toxic and what's not? some are completley taking over my tank, and I want to thin them, but I am terrified now.
Can someone please help me relax?
sorry if this is ridiculous, but I am seriously scared. attached is the picture of the ones I removed some heads from. it did have brown goo coming from it...but I'd expect that, as I had to get ahold of them, and tear off. I am running Purit now also.

Thanks ;Shy

IMG_5395.jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I have some pink (when more blue lights are on) zoa's, that are encroaching on another coral. I took some hemostats and tried to take them off the rock, so that I could thin them out, away from this thing...No idea what coral it is, It's been a while. I did it all under water, no cuts or scrapes on myself, and now I am almost panicked about palytoxin. I did have on glasses, and I put them in a dish of water from my tank, and then threw them in the trash.
I am to the point, I do not want any zoa's at all now. how do I know what is toxic and what's not? some are completley taking over my tank, and I want to thin them, but I am terrified now.
sorry if this is ridiculous, but I am seriously scared. attached is the picture of the ones I removed some heads from. it did have brown goo coming from it...but I'd expect that, as I had to get ahold of them, and tear off. I am running Purit now also.

Thanks ;Shy

IMG_5395.jpg
If you washed your hands with soap afterwards, then you are probably fine.

If you think you are having an allergic reaction, then take Benadryl or other anti-allergy steps. If you are super concerned about palytoxin, next time wear gloves in addition to glasses.

The "attractive" yellow dish gloves from supermarket come to mind because they are everywhere, but the thinner types of gloves used in healthcare but many individuals bought because of COVID have more flexibility (though likely 1x use each pair, but they come a lot of pairs to a box of gloves)

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you washed your hands with soap afterwards, then you are probably fine.

If you think you are having an allergic reaction, then take Benadryl or other anti-allergy steps. If you are super concerned about palytoxin, next time wear gloves in addition to glasses.

The "attractive" yellow dish gloves from supermarket come to mind because they are everywhere, but the thinner types of gloves used in healthcare but many individuals bought because of COVID have more flexibility (though likely 1x use each pair, but they come a lot of pairs to a box of gloves)
no, I dont think I'm having a reaction, I just think I read too much about it and freaked myself out. I have a rock covered in them, not these...and want them out. I'm scared to even remove them from my tank at this point.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Relax.

I've cut 10's of thousands of zoas over the years bare handed, often without eye protection, in an enclosed space while at varying degrees of drunkenness. I'm not suggesting other people do this. But, they pose almost no risk to you especially if you are using gloves and glasses. If you have a particularly sensitive immune system maybe corals aren't for you.

If you search there's probably a dozen threads on this topic from this year alone about which ones are potentially more harmful than others and the behaviors of aquarists that lead to them getting sick (here's an tip, people don't get sick from trimming them in an aquarium).

Ultimately if you want to remove these from your tank its in your best interest to pull the rock they're growing on and either sell or trade it. The fact that they're overgrowing everything is to be expected. I'd say that's all part of setting goals for your aquarium and approaching coral additions with a plan. With zoas and palys in particular its easy enough to isolate a colony on the sand bed but anything that goes on your main rockwork is gonna spread eventually.

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Relax.

I've cut 10's of thousands of zoas over the years bare handed, often without eye protection, in an enclosed space while at varying degrees of drunkenness. I'm not suggesting other people do this. But, they pose almost no risk to you especially if you are using gloves and glasses. If you have a particularly sensitive immune system maybe corals aren't for you.

If you search there's probably a dozen threads on this topic from this year alone about which ones are potentially more harmful than others and the behaviors of aquarists that lead to them getting sick (here's an tip, people don't get sick from trimming them in an aquarium).

Ultimately if you want to remove these from your tank its in your best interest to pull the rock they're growing on and either sell or trade it. The fact that they're overgrowing everything is to be expected. I'd say that's all part of setting goals for your aquarium and approaching coral additions with a plan. With zoas and palys in particular its easy enough to isolate a colony on the sand bed but anything that goes on your main rockwork is gonna spread eventually.
Thank You for your reply. I did do it in the tank. I dont know, maybe the coffee jitters got to me a bit.
I've had my tank going about 16 years, but only in the last 2 yrs introduced paly's and zoa's.

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Underwater it shouldn’t be a risk. Use protection if doing it outside of water - gloves, long sleeves, goggles. Try to isolate zoa rocks if you don’t want them spreading
Well yeah. I like them to spread, but this one is kicking the snot out of my other coral, that’s all. I really can’t move it either, as it’s encrusted on the rock

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well yeah. I like them to spread, but this one is kicking the snot out of my other coral, that’s all. I really can’t move it either, as it’s encrusted on the rock
I zoomed in on the picture and they really do look like Pandora's. They will overtake that rock pretty quickly. I put mine next to a galaxea and figured he could keep them in line LOL

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I zoomed in on the picture and they really do look like Pandora's. They will overtake that rock pretty quickly. I put mine next to a galaxea and figured he could keep them in line LOL
Thanks, it’s nice to know what name they have. Sure are pretty too, but I like the other one just a bit more. As you can see, it’s ticked pretty badly

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks ;Shy

IMG_5395.jpg
You are working yourself up.

To harm yourself you have to inhale them, eat them, squirt them purposely in your eye or such…0or be super sensitive and have an allergy.

I frag mine without gloves even but I don’t recommend that… just saying even though it is touted as being the most deadly poison… it’s not going to easily kill you without trying or without doing something stupid like boiling your rock. People don’t get sick from fragging them.

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are working yourself up.

To harm yourself you have to inhale them, eat them, squirt them purposely in your eye or such…0or be super sensitive and have an allergy.

I frag mine without gloves even but I don’t recommend that… just saying even though it is touted as being the most deadly poison… it’s not going to easily kill you without trying or without doing something stupid like boiling your rock. People don’t get sick from fragging them.
Oh ok! Good to know. I think that’s exactly what I did. Feeling pretty dumb now, but… at least I know.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back