I think I know the answer…

College_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, so I got this 90 gallon with sump and stand for free from a buddy. Leak testing it currently and it definitely needs a good clean but it is holding water so far. It looks like the seals could be bad and I was looking for opinions. Tried to get good pics to illustrate what I’m talking about

IMG_2978.jpeg IMG_2979.jpeg IMG_2981.jpeg

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd clean it up with vinegar and leak test it

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend muriatic acid for tough calcium deposits.

Seals. The silicone in the gaps between the glass panes is what holds the tank together. The only way to reseal and increase the seam holding strength is to take the tank completely apart, remove the old silicone and then reconstruct it. Silicone put on top of the old seal adds about zero strength. If it holds, it's gold.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend muriatic acid for tough calcium deposits.

Seals. The silicone in the gaps between the glass panes is what holds the tank together. The only way to reseal and increase the seam holding strength is to take the tank completely apart, remove the old silicone and then reconstruct it. Silicone put on top of the old seal adds about zero strength. If it holds, it's gold.
absolutely correct (if rimless)
…. but if it’s. one of the older tanks they were manufactured differently… does it. have rim/ frame or not? (suspect rimless cause of the black silicone)
anyway…
If it is an older design perhaps clean and run a new bead?

Fossilman06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't trust those seams, especially if rimless. Those air pockets between the silicone and glass will be the weak point. I just tore a cube apart. Surprisingly the silicone was very hard to separate from each pane. I had to cut with razor blades and even used a thin sharp putty knife to wedge in between the joints to break the seal.

Attachments

• 20240111_140224.jpg
    20240111_140224.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 20240111_153108.jpg
    20240111_153108.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 20240111_154909.jpg
    20240111_154909.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 12

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The silicone in the corners does not do anything for strength or seal. Over time, urchins and other critters will tear this up anyway. If the silicone between the panels is good, then the tank is good.

You can run a new bead if makes it appeal to your eye better or makes you more confident, but it is not necessary.

KandAReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, so I got this 90 gallon with sump and stand for free from a buddy. Leak testing it currently and it definitely needs a good clean but it is holding water so far. It looks like the seals could be bad and I was looking for opinions. Tried to get good pics to illustrate what I’m talking about

IMG_2978.jpeg IMG_2979.jpeg IMG_2981.jpeg
I would get the tank all cleaned up then go back and take a good look at everything. The tank itself is the one think I never want to take a chance with. ( It is the one part of the setup that if it fails it is truly catastrophic. ) from what I see it doesn't look to bad but it's hard to tell for sure. Clean it leak test it and way the risk. ( hell even brand new tanks with no visible issues fail I also have a friend with an old slate bottom tank that has been set up for 50 years and has not leaked)

OP
OP
College_Reefer

College_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
absolutely correct (if rimless)
…. but if it’s. one of the older tanks they were manufactured differently… does it. have rim/ frame or not? (suspect rimless cause of the black silicone)
anyway…
If it is an older design perhaps clean and run a new bead?
It’s a Deep Blue I think and has a rim and brace in the middle. I filled it and it’s held for the last 8 hours. Honestly torn between using it and just saying screw it and buying an IM 100 Int since I have the nuvo 20 and love it but if I can save ~3,000 I definitely will

OP
OP
College_Reefer

College_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get the tank all cleaned up then go back and take a good look at everything. The tank itself is the one think I never want to take a chance with. ( It is the one part of the setup that if it fails it is truly catastrophic. ) from what I see it doesn't look to bad but it's hard to tell for sure. Clean it leak test it and way the risk. ( hell even brand new tanks with no visible issues fail I also have a friend with an old slate bottom tank that has been set up for 50 years and has not leaked)
May just clean it up and flip it on facebook because the thought of 90 gallons on my floor is nauseating haha

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a Deep Blue I think and has a rim and brace in the middle. I filled it and it’s held for the last 8 hours. Honestly torn between using it and just saying screw it and buying an IM 100 Int since I have the nuvo 20 and love it but if I can save ~3,000 I definitely will
If it’s gonna be bare bottom, no sand, easy tear down, et et then perhaps go for it and if it leaks, then perhaps cop the new tank … could go years” as is “

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you clean it and it holds water, then go for it. Might suggest putting it on the floor. Taking 2x4s and building a trough around the tank. Line it with shower liner as a precaution if the tank were to fail. See photo below for my old setup.

1705320974854.png

OP
OP
College_Reefer

College_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s gonna be bare bottom, no sand, easy tear down, et et then perhaps go for it and if it leaks, then perhaps cop the new tank … could go years” as is “
That’s a looot of ifs I think I’m just going to sell it. Everyone I’ve asked in person or on here have all had the same response. “It may be good but it may not”

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.1%
Back