I Think im over my head.

Snaizel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I dont post here often nor do I really keep up with my build thread and part of that is because, unfortunately, I think I may have to scrap my 120gal build.

I live in a rental in a big city and all the things necessary that I would really like to do for this tank (plumbed rodi into sink, mixing station, etc) are quickly becoming impossible as i realize what I can actually do. For reference I have a 120 4x2x2 tank with stand and a diy sump set up in our living room
20210129_101249.jpg

(Ignore the a80 its there temporarily)

Its a wonderful old oceanic tank. I think its double paned because it was unreasonably heavy. I have a skimz protein skimmer setup, its got a mix of dry and live rock as well as dry sand. Its been running wirh pretty much nothing in it for 3 months or so now. I got some hydor WaveMakers for free and I jist recently snagged a couple a360we lights for it. But now im thinking its going to be to big for me to do proper maintenance on it in the long run.

I have to hook my rodi unit to our hose spicket outside our house on the patio and run it to my 30g brute or to some 5 gal buckets (I do the buckets for my nano 24g cube reef in my bedroom). It's a 100gph brs rodi which I like a lot but even at that speed it still takes some time to even fill up the brute and even longer to mix and heat the saltwater. We don't have any other sinks in the home that work for hooking the rodi up and I cannot mess with the plumbing in the home since I'm just renting. If there's a crash, fish disease, or any other reason why I would have to do a 50% or more water change it would take me atleast a day or 2 to even do that.

I also only have the lease for another year and a half before I probably pack up and move again so I dont even know if its worth it to establish a nice mixed reef. I dont have the money to really buy everything quickly and its suddenly becoming apparent that this might just be a step too far. I may have bitten off more than I could chew.

Im considering moving all the saltwater stuff to a spare 55gal or get something around a 75gal but no higher to make it more reasonable to handle. Or im considering just sticking with my 24gal cube which I love dearly.

Im probably over thinking it and im this post has gone on long enough, but if anyone has advice, I'd love to have some haha.

Thanks everyone happy reefing

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya sw tanks are great but really best for those with an actual house. Too many limitations when one rents. Fish only systems are much better suited for rental living.

rubertoe93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything in this hobby takes time, most of witch is actually establishing the tank, if you were to get rid of it, Chances are you will kick your self! Fish tanks can move and still be established as long as it’s not far enough away for anything to die off,
It’s a choice only you can make, and a Fowlr would be a great start to establish your rock, and minimal stress moving!

Augus7us

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in your boat. I was renting, I had a successful 30g aio tank going (my first reef) and bought a 75. I was going to try to hook it up and do what you are doing but in the end some life issues and reality set in. I'm glad I didn't do it. Now around 8 years later, here I am again and am much better positioned to setup a larger tank. My own place and room for a fish room. Plus I'm reinvigorated where I was getting kind of burnt out with the last tank.

Use the time to save your pennies and make sure your next place allows for exactly what you want. I think it will be easier in the long run in my opinion. Good luck!

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Store the tank and downsize to something you can manage. Then when you move to a permanent or better place for the 120, get the tank setup prior to moving, then transfer whatever small systems you have into the big tank.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could just hook up the rodi system to your shower, use it, then take it down again. Don't need to do any plumbing, only unscrew the shower hose. And if something goes wrong or you forget to turn it off, there's no mess, it just goes down the drain

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Did this throughout college and for a couple years after in my apartment.

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As long as your sinks have traditional plumbing, you can use this simple hook up. No permanent changes. Disconnect the line under sink and place this between the two. Hook up RODI into this under sink.

This is what I use in my home.

My family owns rentals, also. We would never be able to tell if someone had this hooked up. (Not that I would care anyway).

As for your other struggles, I can't help much. I hope you figure it out and get to enjoy the hobby. One way or another. Nothing wrong with medium and small tanks. My main is just a 65g display and love it.

InvaderJim

Chillin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run one of these under the sink in my spare bathroom and it's been great so far until I figure out a more permanent solution.

Like someone suggested you could always hang on to the 120 until you move then set it up.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back