I think its dead!!!! Purple and gold torch

StephyC09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its dying. Which is really weird bc it was looking so much better the other day ( Jan 12)! Its coming off its base First photo is today other two from 1/12

0114210823.jpg 0112210933_HDR.jpg 0112211445_HDR.jpg

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water parameters?
Lighting?

Anybody is only going to be offering guesses unless you give us some specific info on water and lighting.

Saying that, if that is a purple and gold torch, then its is severely bleached. how long has it been this way? What light do you have over this tank? please give specifics as far as type, brand, wattage, etc...

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like there are 3 heads. The one on the front looks dead, the one in the back looks like its about to die, and the other one looks ok.

Please post water parameters, any recent changes or issues to the tank, any dosing, lighting, etc...

OP
OP
StephyC09

StephyC09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been bleached for quite a while now (posted back on Dec 29 about it)but was getting color back. I have been target feeding it mysis for the past 2 wks, didnt know i was supposed to, also doing nano reef roids. Water is as follows PH 7.8-8.0 (couldnt tell between the colors) ammonia .25 nitrite 0, nitrate 80, calcium was high and took 40 drops to get it dark which would mean 800?, phosphate 5 carb. Hardness 196.9. Lighting is a Viparspecta T300 300W LED. It is set to cool white on the lowest setting during the day and then blues come on with cool then all blues. Sorry I dont know the intensities.. We are waiting on a new filter for our canister to change it out to help nitrate levels as instructed by our fish store. We have a 2.5g top off tank that we dose with some reef roids, eight.four, fushion 1&2. We add that as needed to top tank off (RODI water)

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest a large water change 50 percent. How do you make your water donyou mix it how do you test salinity? What test are you using? This is clearly water chemistry gone real wrong. The ammonia suggest the tank is not fully cycled. I would get some bacteria asap like bio Spira. I don't think you can save that torch seeing as things are pretty out of wack in my opinion.

OP
OP
StephyC09

StephyC09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest a large water change 50 percent. How do you make your water donyou mix it how do you test salinity? What test are you using? This is clearly water chemistry gone real wrong. The ammonia suggest the tank is not fully cycled. I would get some bacteria asap like bio Spira. I don't think you can save that torch seeing as things are pretty out of wack in my opinion.
We make our own water using an RODI unit and instant Ocean salt. Salinity is at 1.028. I use a reef master test kit.

OP
OP
StephyC09

StephyC09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have zero clue what just happened... It ia completely gone! I target fed it some reef roids 20 min ago, still there, just checked it and its GONE! Where the heck did it go????

Attachments

• 0114211132.jpg
    0114211132.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 56

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have zero clue what just happened... It ia completely gone! I target fed it some reef roids 20 min ago, still there, just checked it and its GONE! Where the heck did it go????
Polyp bail out due to high stress

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure why you're running 1.028 salinity and your nitrates are high. I dont know what your phosphates are but they're probably out of whack as well. I'd stop trying to cram food down it's throat

Pau Hana Reefer

got reef?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your loss... on top of being expensive, they’re also beautiful corals.

I took a brief look at your history and seems you’ve had some struggles with your tank since last year, including what I believe is a full tank loss? And if I connected the dots correctly, looks like you rebooted after letting the water sit in the tank, and then lost more livestock? (I was scanning very quickly)

I think we might want to take a step back. Something is clearly off and I imagine along with the frustrations, the costs are starting to add up. One thing I couldn’t quite put together was your timeline... but based on what I could see, I’m wondering if you went a little too much and too fast. If this is a younger tank, you’ll need time for it to stabilize. I lost a torch coral very early on and figured out my tank was not stable enough. Over the past year, my euphyllias are now thriving (when my peppermint shrimps aren’t eating them).

Can you provide this group with a rough timeline of this tank’s history? I think it’ll be pretty helpful to help us get you on the right path to hopefully make reefing more enjoyable and rewarding going forward.

Sadly, from my experience, your torch can’t be saved at this point.

OP
OP
StephyC09

StephyC09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why such high salinity? Should aim for 1.025. Well Gl hope things get more stable for you.
Im not sure why it is that high. I am going to have my husband double check it when he gets home. As for bail out... Shouldnt I see pieces somewhere? Bc there is nothing in the Tank!

CivicS14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been bleached for quite a while now (posted back on Dec 29 about it)but was getting color back. I have been target feeding it mysis for the past 2 wks, didnt know i was supposed to, also doing nano reef roids. Water is as follows PH 7.8-8.0 (couldnt tell between the colors) ammonia .25 nitrite 0, nitrate 80, calcium was high and took 40 drops to get it dark which would mean 800?, phosphate 5 carb. Hardness 196.9. Lighting is a Viparspecta T300 300W LED. It is set to cool white on the lowest setting during the day and then blues come on with cool then all blues. Sorry I dont know the intensities.. We are waiting on a new filter for our canister to change it out to help nitrate levels as instructed by our fish store. We have a 2.5g top off tank that we dose with some reef roids, eight.four, fushion 1&2. We add that as needed to top tank off (RODI water)
Am I reading that correct that you have ammonia reading? What are you using to test it?

Sorry to lose the torch.

redeyejedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its dying. Which is really weird bc it was looking so much better the other day ( Jan 12)! Its coming off its base First photo is today other two from 1/12

0114210823.jpg 0112210933_HDR.jpg 0112211445_HDR.jpg
Your phos and nitrate are sky high. But i think the 300w light has nuked it.

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure why it is that high. I am going to have my husband double check it when he gets home. As for bail out... Shouldnt I see pieces somewhere? Bc there is nothing in the Tank!
Do you have auto top off? Or manual top off?
Do you mix to 1.028? The tool you use to measure salinity could be off. I suggest getting a Milwaukee refratimitor if you are struggling with correct readings and testing.
Again though invest in some beneficial bacteria like bio Spira or some dr tims.
With that said how much live rock perg if water do you have? U have a sand bed if so how deep? How do you export waste?
Skimmer u highly recommend.
Algse scrubber again I highly recommend.
Do you dose anything?
Run carbon?gfo? I want to help you real bad I need a full run down of tank equipment. Size of tank/sump. What you test and how often. Tank inhabitants. We can help you get this system prestien I garentee it. I can give you a good regiment to help.

OP
OP
StephyC09

StephyC09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your phos and nitrate are sky high. But i think the 300w light has nuked it.
We dont have the light directly over the tank... It gets reflected down bc we knew it was too strong. My torch was happy for about 6m before it decided it was not happy any longer!

OP
OP
StephyC09

StephyC09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have auto top off? Or manual top off?
Do you mix to 1.028? The tool you use to measure salinity could be off. I suggest getting a Milwaukee refratimitor if you are struggling with correct readings and testing.
Again though invest in some beneficial bacteria like bio Spira or some dr tims.
With that said how much live rock perg if water do you have? U have a sand bed if so how deep? How do you export waste?
Skimmer u highly recommend.
Algse scrubber again I highly recommend.
Do you dose anything?
Run carbon?gfo? I want to help you real bad I need a full run down of tank equipment. Size of tank/sump. What you test and how often. Tank inhabitants. We can help you get this system prestien I garentee it. I can give you a good regiment to help.
Ok husband said I cant read it and he got between 1.026/27. The refractometor we have say ATC... It was off Amazon and what we could afford. All of our rock should be live rock, from when we first set up our tank back in 2017. We have 1"-1.5" of sand. It is a 37 gallon tank. We have a canister filter and 2 hang on the back filters. One of the back ones job is to draw the water in for the canister amd helps return it to the tank. We have 2 clown fish, a yellow tang, and a couple hermit crabs. There was a star fish but it was tiny and we dont know if its still there... We were testing once a month but now doing 1x a wk. We try to do a 5g water change a week. We vacuum the sand as well. My poor torch literally melted away. It was about half there, I target fed it reef roids and 20 min later poof... It was 100% gone... 6m it was just happy and beautiful then bam dead....

Attachments

• 0114211132.jpg
    0114211132.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 41

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back