I think my asfur has broklynella

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My asfur is covered in this white cotton thing. At first I thought it was just a scrape but he is now covered. He is still eating well. Please verify so I can start treatment.

E6F697D6-34E1-4599-89B8-B5B7F364055E.jpeg
F83D9FEF-1285-4395-894B-93928FC2A5CA.jpeg

5033C99F-4400-40A9-9F88-85EA012E5E45.jpeg
2DE8500B-BD13-4EC3-8253-0D2C08FEE776.jpeg
F7B4131B-2577-4CD8-98B9-C927BFDD890C.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My asfur is covered in this white cotton thing. At first I thought it was just a scrape but he is now covered. He is still eating well. Please verify so I can start treatment.

E6F697D6-34E1-4599-89B8-B5B7F364055E.jpeg
F83D9FEF-1285-4395-894B-93928FC2A5CA.jpeg

5033C99F-4400-40A9-9F88-85EA012E5E45.jpeg
2DE8500B-BD13-4EC3-8253-0D2C08FEE776.jpeg
F7B4131B-2577-4CD8-98B9-C927BFDD890C.jpeg

What is the history of the fish and the tank? Specifically, how long have you had the angel, when was the last fish added to the tank? No other fish with any symptoms?

Because the fish is still eating well, you can rule out velvet. In my opinion, that also rules out Brooklynella, as once a fish has an infection that bad, it normally stops feeding and begins to swim "mopey".

That leaves, "stale ich", bacterial disease, or flukes.

With stale ich, you would have had to have missed the discrete small whiter spots on the fish that lead up to this. Are you confident that the fish had no spots over the past week?

Leaving us with flukes or bacteria. Flukes can be checked for with a five minute FW dip. You won't see the smaller species of fluke in the dip water afterwards, but the fish will improve 24 to 36 hours after the dip.

Bacterial issues are rare, and would require moving the fish to a treatment tank.

Jay

OP
OP
Sleepingtiger

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The asfur was the last fish added. He was in visual quarantine for 2 weeks before added to display.
He has been in the tank now for a week

I am quite confident I didn't see spots before.

I have quite a few fish in there, no other fish has this symptom which made me thing it was bacterial and not brooklynella. I wanted to make sure. I will move the fish to quarantine and treat with freshwater dip and may observation with methelyne blue.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The asfur was the last fish added. He was in visual quarantine for 2 weeks before added to display.
He has been in the tank now for a week

I am quite confident I didn't see spots before.

I have quite a few fish in there, no other fish has this symptom which made me thing it was bacterial and not brooklynella. I wanted to make sure. I will move the fish to quarantine and treat with freshwater dip and may observation with methelyne blue.

This species commonly develops flukes, and the timing is right for that issue. Look in the dip with a magnifying glass to see if you can see any dead flukes after the dip.

Jay

OP
OP
Sleepingtiger

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This species commonly develops flukes, and the timing is right for that issue. Look in the dip with a magnifying glass to see if you can see any dead flukes after the dip.

Jay

So Thursday night, I fished the asfur out and did a freshwater bath and then placed into a quarantine tank with methylene blue. Within a day he is eating again. I fished him out yesterday to do a visual inspection and he looks clean. I moved him back into display and his appetite is back to what it was before. He is now clean of all the cotton looking patche and active as ever. I hope he doesn't have any reoccurring infections. Thanks team!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Thursday night, I fished the asfur out and did a freshwater bath and then placed into a quarantine tank with methylene blue. Within a day he is eating again. I fished him out yesterday to do a visual inspection and he looks clean. I moved him back into display and his appetite is back to what it was before. He is now clean of all the cotton looking patche and active as ever. I hope he doesn't have any reoccurring infections. Thanks team!

Good news!

Just be wary - FW dips usually do not cure fish, they just knock the infection back for a time.

Jay

OP
OP
Sleepingtiger

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news!

Just be wary - FW dips usually do not cure fish, they just knock the infection back for a time.

Jay
I hear you. I am not sure if its stale ich or flukes. I looked in the freshwater to see if there was any flukes. It was hard to tell as he took a poop when I placed him in there. Best case scenario, he had flukes and its not stale ich.

Do you have an article that further discusses stale ich? This is the first time I heard of such a thing.

YoubetyourWrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So was it Neobenedenia? I love Asfur...Red Sea Angels. One of my favorites...routing for the fish for sure. Good luck!

OP
OP
Sleepingtiger

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So was it Neobenedenia? I love Asfur...Red Sea Angels. One of my favorites...routing for the fish for sure. Good luck!
i honestly don't know. I just know the asfur wasn't happy in quarantine and I never have much luck with quarantine for an extended period of time so I felt rushed to get the fish back into the display.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you. I am not sure if its stale ich or flukes. I looked in the freshwater to see if there was any flukes. It was hard to tell as he took a poop when I placed him in there. Best case scenario, he had flukes and its not stale ich.

Do you have an article that further discusses stale ich? This is the first time I heard of such a thing.

"Stale ich" is just a term I coined for an uncontrolled ich infection that has gone on a long time. The symptoms it shows are not the same as ich looks like in early stages...more congested / cloudy skin, less distinct white spots.

Jay

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 56 24.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 59 25.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 55 24.1%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 54 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back