I think my clown fish is dying!

mepling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this clown fish for about 4 days. When I put him in the salinity was a little high and I did not know it. I corrected the salinity by the next day. Is this behavior normal or is the fish dying? Since I took this video I noticed my yellowtail damsel trying to chase the clown, so I figure that has a lot to do with it. I had to remove almost all the rock from my tank to catch the damsel. I have removed the damsel and placed it in my refugium. I don't think the clown is going to make it though, he is swimming on his side once in a while. I swear Im going to have battered yellow tail for dinner!! Here is a video Is there something wrong with my Clown fish? - YouTube

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your current water parameters? Has he been eating? When did this start?
From the video it just looks like he is scared, but that is just my take.

OP
OP
M

mepling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current parameters are: Nitrite 0, Nitrate 15, Alk 300, PH 8.4, Amonia .2 . This started as soon as I put him in the tank 4 days ago. I have not noticed him eat anything. At feedings his behavior did not change, just stayed at the bottom gulping and swimming in the same spot.

OP
OP
M

mepling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did have a huge pod bloom while he was in there so it is possible that he ate some of those.

ReEfErAdDiCt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsels are very territorial. I just added 3 pajama cardinals to my tank. I have a domino damsel that pretty much punks the cardinals and they either stay in the back corner of my tank or hide in the rock work. Soooo, when I feel like taking out every single rock to catch my damsel, which is pretty much what I'll have to do, my pajamas should be able to feel comfortable and start showing their faces again. Unless you have a huge tank, do not stock damsels!!

OP
OP
M

mepling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I acclimated him just by floating the bag, then I started dripping tank water in with a turkey baster just so some of the thank water was introduced. I wasn't worried about the salinity because the store I got him from always has the same as mine, but my last water change was the wrong salinity and I wasn't careful enough to catch it. My tank is normally 1.0225 but when I noticed strange activity I checked it and it was 1.024. I use a hydrometer. And I got the fish from my local pet shop 'Cornerstone Critters'. Since I moved the damsel he does look a little more relaxed. I hope I can save him.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I acclimated him just by floating the bag, then I started dripping tank water in with a turkey baster just so some of the thank water was introduced. I wasn't worried about the salinity because the store I got him from always has the same as mine, but my last water change was the wrong salinity and I wasn't careful enough to catch it. My tank is normally 1.0225 but when I noticed strange activity I checked it and it was 1.024. I use a hydrometer. And I got the fish from my local pet shop 'Cornerstone Critters'. Since I moved the damsel he does look a little more relaxed. I hope I can save him.

Ok ive seen this problem many times. Hydrometers are way off and if you check with a refractometer your going to find your salinity is probably more like 1.030 trust me man ive tested local members tanks to many times who use hydrometers and its always reading very low. You need to ge it tested with a calibrated refractometer and youll see for sure

Zack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks perfectly fine to me:thumb:
When they are in anemones they will sometimes lay on their side, mine used to when i had an anemone.
The clown i have now will also ki.da lay on his side in his corner where he hangs out as well. Not for a long time but i have seen him do it. Clowns are pretty hardy so hopefully yours is just adjusting to his new home.

DontMakeNoSense

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ive seen this problem many times. Hydrometers are way off and if you check with a refractometer your going to find your salinity is probably more like 1.030 trust me man ive tested local members tanks to many times who use hydrometers and its always reading very low. You need to ge it tested with a calibrated refractometer and youll see for sure

+1 I used to use a hydro and it was always off an by a lot. So I stopped using it last year. Just bought a refractometer and boy I was missing out. So easy to use and calibrate.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is no one mentioning the ammonia issue of .2? Any detectable ammonia is bad. Does the tank have sufficient denitrifying bacteria?

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heavy breathing, thats only normal right after hes been chased. If he is like that when nothing is bothering him and not eating. You might have a sick fish. google Brooklynella

OP
OP
M

mepling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's weird, the bottle says that .2 ammonia is safe. Im going to look into getting that down.

OP
OP
M

mepling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the ammonia to 0 now. Thanks I will monitor this more carefully and see what happens. :)

OP
OP
M

mepling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything seems to be returning to normal. I have my salinity and amonia under control. I think the clownfish is going to make it. Do you think that I could reintroduce the yellow tail damsel after the clown gets stronger and more established? Or should I just take him to the pet shop?

OP
OP
M

mepling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to go through catching him every time I put in a new fish though. I may just take him to the pet shop.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 41 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back