I think my clown has internal parasite?

Jakepen

Few beers and I'll frag anything...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had two clowns for a little over a month. Both have been doing really well, always eating and swimming just fine. Yesterday I fed them, and the larger of the two did not eat. And today I saw him pooping white, and again did not eat. The other is fine. I'm not sure if he is being picky, because the day before yesterday, I fed them rods frozen food. I was just about to head south and pick up another fish. Should I wait on that until I figure out what's going on with this guy?

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it contagious from one fish to another?

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait on the other fish to put as little stress on the clowns. My current clown has an intestinal worm and I am medicating seachems metroplex. Do you have a QT? If not you can bind the metroplex to food with seachems focus. The ratio is 1:1 with the 2 medications. It says 5:1 (focus to metroplex) but they have updated their site.
Mix the ratio to your food (figure out correct amount by looking at the directions on the back) and add a few drops of water to the mixture until it turns into a paste. Let it sit for 30 minutes and feed. Make sure to feed a little bit at a time and try to feed just so the infected fish will eat it. If other fish eat it it won't hurt them. If you can feed it all in the next 24 hours keep it in the fridge but if not you can freeze it. I like to make the mixture in a shot glass. And by the way, it says that you should only feed it to fish but it should not hurt the inverts but to be safe make sure just the fish eat it
I am not sure if it is contagious but this medication will help all the fish.
Hope this helps.

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question if I may butt in real quick. I suspect that my wrasse who is still in QT has intestinal parasites and I am about to start treatment with metroplex. Am I able to soak the meds into a combo of mysis shrimp and flakes? That's all he eats at the moment.

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question if I may butt in real quick. I suspect that my wrasse who is still in QT has intestinal parasites and I am about to start treatment with metroplex. Am I able to soak the meds into a combo of mysis shrimp and flakes? That's all he eats at the moment.
Not sure about the flakes but the mysis should work

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait on the other fish to put as little stress on the clowns. My current clown has an intestinal worm and I am medicating seachems metroplex. Do you have a QT? If not you can bind the metroplex to food with seachems focus. The ratio is 1:1 with the 2 medications. It says 5:1 (focus to metroplex) but they have updated their site.
Mix the ratio to your food (figure out correct amount by looking at the directions on the back) and add a few drops of water to the mixture until it turns into a paste. Let it sit for 30 minutes and feed. Make sure to feed a little bit at a time and try to feed just so the infected fish will eat it. If other fish eat it it won't hurt them. If you can feed it all in the next 24 hours keep it in the fridge but if not you can freeze it. I like to make the mixture in a shot glass. And by the way, it says that you should only feed it to fish but it should not hurt the inverts but to be safe make sure just the fish eat it
I am not sure if it is contagious but this medication will help all the fish.
Hope this helps.

This is right! Great advise :)
Is it contagious from one fish to another?

Yes but only if the other fish eat the infected fish's poop. This happens alot. You should see what happens when my purple tang poops. It's pretty gross.

Yes. I wouldn't use the flakes in this mixture but the mysis is fine to use.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, if the clown is not eating at all, then soaking the metro in the food will not help. You may want to put him in a QT and dose the whole tank. Good luck!

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, if the clown is not eating at all, then soaking the metro in the food will not help. You may want to put him in a QT and dose the whole tank. Good luck!
If I don't have a QT tank, what are my options? If he isn't eating, what should I do?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I don't have a QT tank, what are my options? If he isn't eating, what should I do?

You can get a QT put together rather easily. A plastic tote with an air stone would suffice, but water changes would need to be frequent - probably daily depending. A bucket would work the same way. You just need him to be in there maybe 10 days total. So it's short term.... I can't remember the directions on metro off the top of my head.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a QT put together rather easily. A plastic tote with an air stone would suffice, but water changes would need to be frequent - probably daily depending. A bucket would work the same way. You just need him to be in there maybe 10 days total. So it's short term.... I can't remember the directions on metro off the top of my head.
Would that tote than need a heater? Any ways to help reduce stress while doing this?

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I have a five gallon bucket I could use, or a 20 gallon tote. The bucket would be easier, also I use the tote to collect my RODI. If the tote would be better, I could use that. Seems like a lot, to pack a air stone, and a heater in a five gallon bucket.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would need a heater. The tote or the bucket would be fine to use.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would need a heater. The tote or the bucket would be fine to use.
Okay. How crucial is a air stone? I mean I can get one today. I am wondering if I can drop my clown in the bucket now with a heater, and get the airstone in later?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he has intestinal worms (which it sounds like he does) and he's not eating, then dosing medication in a QT becomes your only treatment option. Metronidazole (exs. Seachem Metroplex, Metro-MS, Metro+ by Hikari) can be difficult to find at most LFS, but API General Cure (a prazi/metro mix) can be found sometimes even at Petco/smart.

Okay. How crucial is a air stone? I mean I can get one today. I am wondering if I can drop my clown in the bucket now with a heater, and get the airstone in later?

You will need an air stone (or some type of circulation) to mix the meds you dose, so I would wait until you get that before adding the clown. The fish will also only have a limited amount of O2 in the water without an airstone to replenish it.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. Also, how often will I need to do water changes? In a five gallon bucket, change maybe half every day, or every other day.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. Also, how often will I need to do water changes? In a five gallon bucket, change maybe half every day, or every other day.

I'd say every 2-3 days would be fine. Just keep the feedings light.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

• I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Other.

Back