OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

Few beers and I'll frag anything...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is the five gallon bucket now. Heater and air going. Now what, just leave him in there with the medication? Which doesn't seem like very much, half of that spoon for five gallons. Change the water every other day, try feeding him in a couple of days?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is the five gallon bucket now. Heater and air going. Now what, just leave him in there with the medication? Which doesn't seem like very much, half of that spoon for five gallons. Change the water every other day, try feeding him in a couple of days?

Yep. Keep an eye on him and do a water change sooner if it's needed. I would try to feed him everyday but keep it minimal and suck out the uneaten food.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. Keep an eye on him and do a water change sooner if it's needed. I would try to feed him everyday but keep it minimal and suck out the uneaten food.
Alright thank you. Didn't think I would get a answer yesterday, figured everyone was watching the time splatter ha.

themadman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to chime into your thread but I have a similar issue/questions with clowns I thought I might ask here. I have two new clownfish I just got on Thursday. They look great, are acting normal, and eating like pigs. However I saw right away that they have the white stringy poop. I looked up threads online and see a lot of mixed information as to whether this is totally normal for new/stressed clowns and may just go away. Have seen several others suggesting it could be worms. Even though they are acting normal I ordered the Meds described on the first page of this thread. The focus and metro. I was going to do the feed method since they are eating good just to be safe. But figured I might as well ask. Should I medicate them to be safe or would I be better to wait and see if it goes away on its own? Thank you!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I medicate them to be safe or would I be better to wait and see if it goes away on its own? Thank you!

I would food soak metro, using Focus to bind the medication. Let metro pass thru their intestines to clear out any internal parasites. You may have to do this for 2-3 weeks to eliminate the hatchlings as well (metro only kills worms, not any eggs left behind.)

themadman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would food soak metro, using Focus to bind the medication. Let metro pass thru their intestines to clear out any internal parasites. You may have to do this for 2-3 weeks to eliminate the hatchlings as well (metro only kills worms, not any eggs they might leave behind.)

Ok awesome thank you for the information and reply!

themadman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would food soak metro, using Focus to bind the medication. Let metro pass thru their intestines to clear out any internal parasites. You may have to do this for 2-3 weeks to eliminate the hatchlings as well (metro only kills worms, not any eggs left behind.)

Sorry one other quick question: should I feed this once a day or twice a day? I usually feed twice a day and I didn't know if I should use every feeding or if it says on the bottles? The meds arrive tomorrow. Thanks again!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry one other quick question: should I feed this once a day or twice a day? I usually feed twice a day and I didn't know if I should use every feeding or if it says on the bottles? The meds arrive tomorrow. Thanks again!

Once a day is good enough to deliver the med to the fish's intestines.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is this? Found this in the bucket today, is it the medicine I put in there? Should I have mixed the water better?

image.jpeg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jakepen Looks like undissolved powder (medication). Did the airstone running not mix it in the water?

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jakepen Looks like undissolved powder (medication). Did the airstone running not mix it in the water?
Not well enough apparently. I have a new bucket mixing with a Powerhead, dropped the medicine in to mix. That airstone won't do the trick apparently.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saturday will mark one week that I've had my clown in a 5 gallon bucket, treating him. I've done regular water changes, I've tried feeding him twice so far. He still shows no interest in food. How long can he go on like this, if he doesn't eat soon what should my next step be?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long can he go on like this, if he doesn't eat soon what should my next step be?

Fish can go a couple of weeks without food before the situation turns serious. You always have the option of tube feeding your fish. Video below - credit for this technique goes to alprazo.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish can go a couple of weeks without food before the situation turns serious. You always have the option of tube feeding your fish. Video below - credit for this technique goes to alprazo.

Any more info on this? What exactly did he place him in to sedate him?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any more info on this? What exactly did he place him in to sedate him?

25 ppm of Finquel aka MS-222 or tricaine. Below is a post from his original thread:
You want a medium sedation - I use 25 ppm of Finquel aka MS-222 or tricaine. I will create a post for fish sedation one of these days. In short it is based on dose, temp, duration in the bath, and thickness of the gill membranes. Smaller fish tend to respond faster, but 25 ppm is about right for this procedure. My water temp was 70F.

Once fish it out, insert tube and inject food, meds, whatever. It took around 18s in the video. I have been using pulverized shad roe. I've also tried soaked flakes with the same results.

Place fish into clean water and create movement over gills.

Then fish goes back to tank.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's been in there with the medication a week now, and still shows no interest in eating. What should I do, anything to intensify treatment? The medication doesn't mix with the water well, it cakes onto the sides of the bucket. Should I mix it in a bottle of RODI before adding it to the bucket?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's been in there with the medication a week now, and still shows no interest in eating. What should I do, anything to intensify treatment? The medication doesn't mix with the water well, it cakes onto the sides of the bucket. Should I mix it in a bottle of RODI before adding it to the bucket?

Just so we're on the same page, are you treating with API General Cure or straight metronidazole powder? I've used both, and I don't understand either not dissolving well unless it's old product.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so we're on the same page, are you treating with API General Cure or straight metronidazole powder? I've used both, and I don't understand either not dissolving well unless it's old product.
Metronidazole powder. I know it's not expired, I think it has another year left. In the bucket now, I have a small pump mixing the water.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metronidazole powder. I know it's not expired, I think it has another year left. In the bucket now, I have a small pump mixing the water.

Might want to start mixing it in a small jug before dosing it. That way you know its fully dissolved before going into the water with the clown.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 52 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.1%
Back