I think my reef is going to overflow?

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon reef with 25 gallon sump. I recently cleaned my return pump... and first noticed that my sump was running low a little faster then normal evaporation so I added more RODI water... then again the same thing.. sump running low so I added more RODI. I figured it was faster evaporation b/c we turned the heat on in the basement... BUT then I noticed that my water level was super high... and that the pump must be pumping water FASTER then it is draining?

Solutions? I just realized this and am work contemplating my action for when I get home.
* If I turn off my pump - I actually fear my SUMP will over flow

Suggestions welcome!
Neptune

OP
OP
Neptune 555

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks... Will try to vacuum out my return... 2-nite. I need to take some water out anyway..... and it might just pull up something. Uggghh a wrasse went missing 2 months ago never found him? I bet it is him. I looked for him in the return and didn't see him.

and will ask my LFS on how I add a valve to reduce flow.

thanks!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the system was running fine for any length of time before this problem started I would focus on making sure the drain path/overflow teeth are clean.

If you do need to reduce pump flow temporarily it is safe to introduce some blockage on the inlet of the pump. You can safely block up to 50% of the pump inlet to reduce flow without putting the pump at risk. You will know if you block off too much because the pump will cavitate which will make it noisy.

If you have a scrub brush for your system you can put it directly over the pump inlet.

If you have a sponge covering the inlet you can block flow through a section of the sponge with a scrap piece of acrylic or glass or other reef safe flat object.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically, the valve should be on the output of the pump vice the input. If everything was running properly prior to this event and nothing was changed (e.g. speed of return pump), something is obstructing flow to the sump (perhaps your missing fish as you noted) so I wouldn't bother adding a valve, just correct the problem. You can find various brushes in different lengths that make cleaning your plumbing relatively painless.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon reef with 25 gallon sump. I recently cleaned my return pump... and first noticed that my sump was running low a little faster then normal evaporation so I added more RODI water... then again the same thing.. sump running low so I added more RODI. I figured it was faster evaporation b/c we turned the heat on in the basement... BUT then I noticed that my water level was super high... and that the pump must be pumping water FASTER then it is draining?

Solutions? I just realized this and am work contemplating my action for when I get home.
* If I turn off my pump - I actually fear my SUMP will over flow

Suggestions welcome!
Neptune

Did a critter get into your drain? Something is impeding the flow OUT of the tank.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was changed (e.g. speed of ...something is obstructing flow to the sump (perhaps your missing fish as you noted) so I wouldn't bother adding a valve, just correct the problem. You can find various brushes in

Agreed that the output of the pump isn't the source, adding a valve can help if something like this happens again in the future. It will allow the OP to dial the pump down until there is time to adequately dealing with the problem.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed that the output of the pump isn't the source, adding a valve can help if something like this happens again in the future. It will allow the OP to dial the pump down until there is time to adequately dealing with the problem.
Concur. Even a cheap ball valve will do the trick, a gate valve is not required. Adding a valve with unions has plenty of other benefits too, especially when it comes to maintenance and/or upgrades.

Back