OP
OP
J

jls13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When setting up my QT does it make sense to use the water from my DT even though it may be infected? My thought is that the fish is more acclimated to this (so less stress) as well as the good bio build up already in it? I will be treating this water with General Cure anyway. Or should I start with a fresh batch of water?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When setting up my QT does it make sense to use the water from my DT even though it may be infected? My thought is that the fish is more acclimated to this (so less stress) as well as the good bio build up already in it? I will be treating this water with General Cure anyway. Or should I start with a fresh batch of water?
You can use your DT water to fill the QT

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the unfortunate problem of dealing with a couple of intestinal parasite infestations in my DT due to not treating for intestinal parasites in my QT (I now treat all new fish with GC-laced food during quarantine). I've had success with mixing a variety of foods and adding Garlic Guard. I mix PE Mysis, frozen brine shrimp, LRS or Rod's, flake, and Reef Chili plus the Garlic Guard. Fish that weren't eating would always start eating something, even if it is just the Reef Chili. They would then progress to eating other foods. I realized my harptail blenny had intestinal parasites right after I added to my DT. Initially, all it would eat was floating hair algae (I was also dealing with a hair algae problem at the time) and Reef Chili. After a few days of treatment, it started eating other foods and recovered 100%. I had a similar thing happen with an Ocellaris clown, minus the hair algae. The clown had been in the DT a while and had pretty much stopped eating. The point is, if you feed a variety of foods including food as small as pretty fine particles (Reef Chili in my case) and mix with garlic, you have a good chance of the fish eating something and recovering enough to start eating more. The only issue I had was that both times I treated the DT, I lost a BTA that had been healthy until the treatment.

In my opinion, GC is about worthless for treating intestinal parasites when adding to the water. I run two rounds in every quarantine and have released fish to my DT still infected with intestinal parasites on two separate occasions.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the unfortunate problem of dealing with a couple of intestinal parasite infestations in my DT due to not treating for intestinal parasites in my QT (I now treat all new fish with GC-laced food during quarantine). I've had success with mixing a variety of foods and adding Garlic Guard. I mix PE Mysis, frozen brine shrimp, LRS or Rod's, flake, and Reef Chili plus the Garlic Guard. Fish that weren't eating would always start eating something, even if it is just the Reef Chili. They would then progress to eating other foods. I realized my harptail blenny had intestinal parasites right after I added to my DT. Initially, all it would eat was floating hair algae (I was also dealing with a hair algae problem at the time) and Reef Chili. After a few days of treatment, it started eating other foods and recovered 100%. I had a similar thing happen with an Ocellaris clown, minus the hair algae. The clown had been in the DT a while and had pretty much stopped eating. The point is, if you feed a variety of foods including food as small as pretty fine particles (Reef Chili in my case) and mix with garlic, you have a good chance of the fish eating something and recovering enough to start eating more. The only issue I had was that both times I treated the DT, I lost a BTA that had been healthy until the treatment.

In my opinion, GC is about worthless for treating intestinal parasites when adding to the water. I run two rounds in every quarantine and have released fish to my DT still infected with intestinal parasites on two separate occasions.

Metro or GC dosed to the water doesn’t target internal parasites but if you have a fish not eating from them then it’s a Hail Mary. Some have had success dosing the water and the fish ingesting enough meds through the water to suppress them enough to get them eating med laced food.

Last edited:

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metro or GC dosed to the water doesn’t target internal parasites but if you have a fish not eating from them then it’s a Hail Mary. Some have had success dosing the water and the fish ingesting enough meds through the water to suppress them enough to get them eating mad laced food.

I can see that working. It would just add stress to get the fish in the QT and if the infection is really bad, they still might not eat. The flip-side is, if you can't get them to eat something in the DT you are still screwed.

OP
OP
J

jls13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything else I should add to the QT besides or in addition to the GC? Should I use copper instead?

Have you tried a product like Artemiss which states can be added to the DT tank?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything else I should add to the QT besides or in addition to the GC? Should I use copper instead?

Have you tried a product like Artemiss which states can be added to the DT tank?

I’ve never used Artemis, no need for copper unless you have ich/velvet. Just keep up the GC or Metroplex

OP
OP
J

jls13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is a scoop? My GC and Focus come in packets

OP
OP
J

jls13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is either intestinal parasites or worms.

Add 1 scoop focus + 1 scoop general cure to 1 Tablespoon of prepared frozen food. Feed the food for 14 days. Sometimes it can take up to 3 weeks to fully eradicate. So if you still see white stringy poop at 14 days continue for an additional 7.

I recommend only storing food in refrigerator after prepared for 3-5 days. Toss and make new if there are leftovers.

How big is a scoop? My GC and Focus came in packets

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 53 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back