I thought I was doing so good - heavy breathing only

DBLA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first post, but been lurking for about a year. What an awesome resource!!! I’ll start with the real question and give the lengthy stuff bellow

All QT fish suddenly with rapid breathing, no spots, or abnormal behavior all eating awesome. Red flag is I pulled a brand new fish from QT that never ate and started getting non cloudy unilateral “Popeye” on day 2 ( he went into a tank matched 5 gallon bucket with air stone after a negative freshwater dip) and expired later that day.

I’ve searched the forum but the only similar topic looked like the air stone fixed it all fish rapidly breathing, but never had any follow up

The long:

I have a 20gal QT with 2 clowns, a royal Gramma and one Green Chromis they have been in for 10 days looking great eating great no signs of any spots or issues. I recieved my CUC for my Display (21 days) just completed cycle (red sea mature kit). Here’s the rub to get to free shipping I added two more Chromis. I did a prolonged acclimation with them 4 hours (had a work emergency). But looked great and decided the do a 25% water change on the QT (day 6 of Prazi). And start the new dose with the two new guys.

The top spells out the rest...I attributed the popeye and not eating to existing issue or trauma...especially the new guy in the tank. But now that everyone else is breathing heavy it’s got me concerned. I currently have a double air stone in and the powerhead is agitating the surface, no cleaners or candles etc. parameters have been great in the QT ammonia 0 on api and Seachem badge, everything else is solid nitrates are 10. “Cycled” with bio-Spira and prime. I could add to the DT but wanted to do everything by the book to be safe. I have cuprion but no test to check accurately (I have ordered some copper power after more research). Am I just overreacting? Other suggestions? No LFS for me where I live. Fish were from LA

Thanks for any and all help

Aaron

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
The popeye in both eyes can be an indicator of a bacterial infection. There is a rather nasty bacterial infection going around these days. Suggest you treat your fish with antibiotics asap. Antibiotics are rather slow acting. The fastest acting is NFG powder. Works especially well for new incoming fish for a variety of problems. If that's too difficult any of the other antibiotics should be considered: Furan2, Kanaplex, Sulfaplex, etc. For especially nasty bacterial infections the trifecta of Kanaplex + Furan2 + Metro can be very effective as it treats for a wide spectrum of bacterial infections.

OP
OP
DBLA

DBLA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the local PetSmart really didn’t have much...melafix and some flagyl (metro) Looks like I’ll be scowering amazon. Since I do have the ability to get pharmaceuticals any recommendations there? Dosage would be the major question.

Back