I touch palythoas without gloves

bobmakespancakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi i touched this without gloves because i didnt know it was there do i have to worry about being poisoned? i washed my hands several times after this but i am still worried. will i be okay?

IMG_6525.jpg IMG_6526.jpg

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok thank you i just read so much about how people got poisoned and it really scared me
Yeah man, palytoxin is a serious and can kill a person, but most of the time that’s due to fragging the zoa. And only certain zoas contain the paly toxin, but you should indeed treat all of them like they do.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're fine.

Most of the palytoxin poisonings happen due to very specific circumstances. For example, one aquarist was cleaning his paly-encrusted rocks with boiling water and vaporized the paly, leading to direct inhalation of palytoxin. So long as you don't do something to release the palytoxin (such as eating them, smoking them, or squirting them into your eyes), you'll be fine.

Picard's Lionfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine as long as its under water. I had a ton of brown palys i eradicated using kalk and tank water. Filled my sink with tank water, mixed in kalk to highest concentration and nukes the rock. I hand dipped my rock that had encrusted corals and kept the coral out of the solution. At some point i was exposed to the toxin. I became very sick. No gloves and no eye protection. I was using a tootbrush to scrub the rock to get rid of the palys remains. I think thats what did it.

TooMuchDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're fine.

Most of the palytoxin poisonings happen due to very specific circumstances. For example, one aquarist was cleaning his paly-encrusted rocks with boiling water and vaporized the paly, leading to direct inhalation of palytoxin. So long as you don't do something to release the palytoxin (such as eating them, smoking them, or squirting them into your eyes), you'll be fine.
I hear a zoa joint is great for relaxation

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear palytoxin causes brain damage resulting in a desire to believe in Kristen Stewarts acting abilities, trace element supplementation and the benefits of UV LEDs :)

Sherrya62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve have gotten nothing more but mild irritation after handling my palys. Itching and numbness with a little heat only where I touched. This is on my fingers It goes away pretty fast. I’ve done this many many times

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi i touched this without gloves because i didnt know it was there do i have to worry about being poisoned? i washed my hands several times after this but i am still worried. will i be okay?

IMG_6525.jpg IMG_6526.jpg
I eat those for breakfast Along with Bristol worms

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s been extremely isolated incidents under very specific circumstances that have made people ill. The science suggests that most of the palys kept in home aquaria don’t even contain dangerous levels of toxins and even when they do it has to be ingested or inhaled. Everyone refers to the same case of the guy who made his family sick by boiling them in the house. Other than that I don’t think there’s really much evidence to support the idea that they’re as harmful as some folks want us to think. Apparently the vast majority of cases of paly toxin poisoning are from consuming tainted seafood, not reef keeping.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with both. Be very cautions with them out of water. Don't boil rocks. Don't scrub them above water. Don't cut with out gloves and eye protection. If cutting do in a well ventilated room.

You will be ok. I brushed my nuclear palys trying to get them to grow onto a plug and I'm ok.

Back