I try, but I just can’t SPS

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure how it goes from 109 in RODI to 18k in tank?! Contaminate from Washing machine and my socks?
You should try the nylon mesh socks from Red Sea. They rinse out in the sink and last for months and months. I buy 2 every 6 months

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, agreed. That is 100% for sure going to cause issues in the tank. I'd think that the RODI should be 0 as well, no?

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prime would work in the short term; but I'd look into your RODI and maybe even adding more stages for the long term.

OP
OP
bmbpka

bmbpka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prime would work in the short term; but I'd look into your RODI and maybe even adding more stages for the long term.

so I did just add a second DI stage two weekends ago. It was starting to deplete and said why not.

I may drain my storage container and run another test without any of that old water.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tds reads 0 but I still add 2 drops of prime/gallon to all my water ro/di water. I tried the cups but the floss or filter pad would need to be changed every day or 2, which I found to be more work than I wanted to do. The nylon mesh socks, which I only use 1 at time, take about a week to 10 days before I need to switch and clean

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my setup, the canister mounted higher is specifically added on for chloramines

Screenshot_20191026-112705_Chrome.jpg

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my setup, the canister mounted higher is specifically added on for chloramines

Screenshot_20191026-112705_Chrome.jpg
what is that, another carbon block? filter specifically for chloramines? sharing is caring. I want to add a chloramine block but don't know if I want to spend the $200 for a DIY fixture or just buy BRS chloramine monster thing. IF this is a smaller block I can add, i'd do that. Or change out my pre filters every 4 months as I've been doing.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is that, another carbon block? filter specifically for chloramines? sharing is caring. I want to add a chloramine block but don't know if I want to spend the $200 for a DIY fixture or just buy BRS chloramine monster thing. IF this is a smaller block I can add, i'd do that. Or change out my pre filters every 4 months as I've been doing.

I added it after a very accomplished SPS keeper (inky) in KC ran into major issues after his municipal water district added a ton of chloramines in the supply, so I threw it on there for additional protection. It's an additional cationic? carbon? block.

OP
OP
bmbpka

bmbpka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m a bit confused on the chlorine.... after talks of it last night, I did some research. Came across this post on R2R

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/icp-analysis-test-chlorine-problem.384254/

where @Randy Holmes-Farley states the 18,000 “shouldn’t” be a problem.

additionally my level is also in line with what is shown as ICP suggested and NSW of Fiji, Hawaii, Florida, and St. Thomas.

so now I’m all confused. The chlorine is the only thing that stuck out to me on the test results.

iodine is low/non existent but that shouldn’t be killing off SPS. Bromine is super high, but again, I don’t think that should be killing off SPS. Based on other threads I have read of those levels.

there are some small traces of metals, but are those tiny amounts really the cause of SPS die off? I may toss in some poly filter to see if I can pull the little that’s there out. Other than that, I’m at a loss for what to do...

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think any of the metals look crazy. Only things that jump out at me are the Strontium, Bromine, and sodium. Maybe cross reference the numbers listed on that ICP test with Triton reference numbers, as it seems they don’t provide you with target numbers?

Last edited:
OP
OP
bmbpka

bmbpka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think any of the metals look crazy. Only thing that jumps out at me is the 14ppm Strontium, almost double what it should be but I don’t know that would be toxic. Maybe cross reference the numbers listed on that ICP test with Triton reference numbers, as it seems they don’t provide you with target numbers?

they give you targets but the way it lets me share it, won’t show them. You are correct though, it’s double the target number.

OP
OP
bmbpka

bmbpka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drain RODI storage tank and salt mixing tank. Cleaning them both now. Hoping any contaminates I may have had from there will be gone.

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it’s the water and not some sort of pest that lives in the tank

OP
OP
bmbpka

bmbpka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it’s the water and not some sort of pest that lives in the tank

im not to be honest. However, from inspecting my tank, I haven’t seen anything. Next step is to grab a magnifying glass.

as of today, my BC Glow Stick is brown, with white spots starting. Full polyp extension though! Bright green/yellow polyps With brown skeleton.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back