OP
OP
bmbpka

bmbpka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any coralline algae growing? From the pics it looks like it.

You should start with something very hardy like a monti cap and see if you can get to grow out.

talking to me? There a a few conversations going on in this thread now, can’t keep up. But if you are, I have. They all die...

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any coralline algae growing? From the pics it looks like it.

You should start with something very hardy like a monti cap and see if you can get to grow out.
He's stated in his first post that even this dies.

?

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you place your new SPS additions to your tank? It seems best to start them low down and move them up as they become acclimated

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at your build thread and it looks like you have the resin based structure with a bare bottom tank. Do you have any live rock or porous material for bacteria growth?

OP
OP
bmbpka

bmbpka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at your build thread and it looks like you have the resin based structure with a bare bottom tank. Do you have any live rock or porous material for bacteria growth?

yes I do. When I went to that structure, I took all the live rock from my display and put it in my sump. I also have a huge piece of bio block in my sump as well.

Lapras

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes I do. When I went to that structure, I took all the live rock from my display and put it in my sump. I also have a huge piece of bio block in my sump as well.

i had a very large ceramic porous block in my sump for a while. i was having issues with high tin and few other things. i removed it and gradually tank got better... i think if u Google ceramic blocks and tank issues you'll find some complaints. but def do icp. i use ATI. like others said, also check rodi filters. the ATI test will also test your RODI water and find any potential issues.

Jax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain. I can grow LPS like a champ but SPS remains a tough nut for me. Drives me crazy because everything in my tank is totally dialed in. I have also had success with the pocci.. and had the white spots. It turned out to just be adjusting to the shading of my tank, it stabilized and thrived though the undersides had some white/polyp bailout from low light.

The strangest thing for me is that everyone says montis are the easier sps. I’ve always killed my montis aside from one digi. I don’t get it, to me they’re up with acros in difficulty. But hey, I have a friend who can grow monti like a champ but swore off all euphillia because he kept melting them. I guess it just varies person/person, tank/tank.

BuBBly FiSh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve tried many times to get into SPS. Plating Monti Caps, die. Encrusting Montipora, die. Heck even birds nest and stylos die.

I’ve had a nice green pocco in my tank for a couple months now, doing well. Now I’m seeing some bright white spots. I have a beautiful BC glow stick ACRO as well and it’s doing okay but the colors fading.

parameters are as followed

Alk- 8.5
Calcium - 400
Mag - 1200 (possible culprit)

phosphate - .03 ppm
Nitrates - 15 (also possible culprit)

Ph - 8.2

nitrite and ammonia are 0.

I’m running a 48” Aquatic Life T5 with 4 Primes at about 8” off the surface. Rented BRS par meter a few weeks ago, when I only had a 24” and 3 primes. I was getting upper 200s into the low 300s in my SPS section. I upgraded to a larger T5 and added a prime. I’d imagine I’m looking at upper 300s to lower 400s now. But plan on checking again soon. Flow is pumping as well.

so what am I doing wrong? Parameters stay constant. I’m guessing that nitrate is the issue? I have a heavily stocked 75 gallon and my skimmer is a bit light. New one will be here in a few weeks.

87D91284-3431-470C-894F-02D4D48C7C4A.jpeg
AD37661B-E23F-4FED-8F19-3B06C766A6B7.jpeg
Willing to bet it has to do with acclimation. Especially with lights 8 inches off of water. Turn the lights way down
then gradually over 1 month raise them. Also check water for metals.

Acolaojr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to have the same problem as you. I would have ideal water parameters and couldn’t grow sps no matter what. I finally tried zeovit and it worked great for several years.

OP
OP
bmbpka

bmbpka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate everyone input so far. At this point, I’m hoping my ICP test comes back with something on it. Atleast that way I’ll know.

I have adjusted flow as mentioned early on. I will let that play out as well. Hoping for the best.

Back