I upgraded to a Cadlights 25g!

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by Periette, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Periette

Periette Member

Well, I had the tank sitting on my dining table for testing leaks and all equipment, etc. for about 2 weeks. My stand finally arrived yesterday (wrong color, frak, but that's another story) and I decided to go ahead and set it up for the big tank upgrade.

First off, it went pretty well, I must say but I got scraped, beaten, super glued to within an inch of my life. I broke the 14g Biocube down by removing coral and placing them in small, plastic containers - then into a heated bucket w/a powerhead. I pulled all of the excess rock and put it into another bucket w/heater/powerhead. Then, I had a large container full of the rock that was in the testing Cadlights (full of saltwater). I positioned the new stand with the new tank right in front of the existing one and added about 20 lbs. of new sand (Seachem Grey Substrate w/Carib Sea Indo Pacific mix - 80/20), then the rock. I used 4 pieces of new, very porous rock and then added a few nice ones from the original tank. I had intended to drill the rocks but my drill bit wouldn't cut it. So, I opted for the normal way of working and positioned them so they locked together with placement. All of the leftovers went into my prop/frag tank. Here's what the working part of my day looked like:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dishes to keep the cloudiness down when adding water:

[​IMG]

The clowns are ecstatic with the move - way more swimming room and they LOVE the current to play in. Regarding the plumbing, I originally ordered the oscillator with the tank but it made a weird clicking sound so I reworked it to include a T and off the first one, a Hydor Flo is attached and the remaining output is routed as the original tank with a 2.5" fan attachment pointed up. I also have a Tunze 6025 behind the rock and it is facing back and toward the overflow. I'm really happy with how this turned out because it creates a nice, varied flow (especially w/the HF). Here's a pic of the plumbing (I am switching out the white elbow later w/a painted one):

[​IMG]

Tags:

2. Periette

Periette Member

Back of the tank with CPR Bak-Pack 2R skimmer (very pleased with this). There is enough room to pull it up and out for maintenance. In the first chamber, I have a bag of Seagel/ChemiPure with live rock and filter floss. The second chamber houses the refugium (where I banished my emerald crab and a few blue-legged hermits). I have chaeto and a purple algae that while beautiful, was very invasive so it now lives there. Over that, I currently have the Cadlights fuge light but it's too long for my taste so I'm replacing it with a shorter model that will only sit over the fuge part. In the last section, I have the stock return pump, thermometer, float valve for ATO top-off, temp and Ph guages. Over this, I have a 2-fan Aquatek unit that is set to run during the MH period. This is a superb fan and helps keep my temps 79-81. I love it. Here are a few pics of the back:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are some FTS pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This was a great practice for when I ultimately move to Montréal. I'm still not certain how difficult it will be to bring my coral/etc. and still much research the legality aspect. Bottom line lesson for me - I need more buckets!!!

3. da6d2003

da6d2003 Definately OCD R2R Supporter

Beautiful setup.

It's really a nice piece of furniture.

4. colinadam

colinadam Active Member

I have been looking at the Cadlights for a long time as my next tank when I decide to get a second one.

Great tank. That aquascaping is amazing.

5. Periette

Periette Member

Thanks, everyone. I am so pleased with the upgrade. The clowns have been having a ball playing in the current and almost all of the corals were opened up within minutes of being placed. :)

Originally, I thought I was going to drill the rocks but my drill bit wasn't strong enough so I went back to fitting them together by locking, which worked very well. It turned out nicely and I'm happy with it (thanks for the compliment).

6. divecj5

divecj5 Active Member

7. Periette

Periette Member

Thanks, Adam. That is the tank in the link. However, I have not yet received the HQI fixture from Cadlights so right now, I have a 24" Sunpod 150w HQI w/a 14k Phoenix bulb (beautiful) on the tank. I think I will leave this fixture on the tank as it really makes the colors pop (there is no actinic) and has 2 nice sets of LEDs that I use to simulate dusk/dawn and moonlight. I originally purchased the Sunpod to put on my prop/frag tank but think I will put the Cadlights fixture on it instead.

The aquascaping turned out great though I had thought about doing some drilling and suspending rocks, etc. Ha, that didn't last long as the drill bit wasn't doing anything at all. :) The rock locked together very well so I did not need epoxy, which was great since I hate working with it.

8. Periette

Periette Member

More updated pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think this is their new host - check out Michel:
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted