I upgraded to a Cadlights 25g!

Periette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I had the tank sitting on my dining table for testing leaks and all equipment, etc. for about 2 weeks. My stand finally arrived yesterday (wrong color, frak, but that's another story) and I decided to go ahead and set it up for the big tank upgrade.

First off, it went pretty well, I must say but I got scraped, beaten, super glued to within an inch of my life. I broke the 14g Biocube down by removing coral and placing them in small, plastic containers - then into a heated bucket w/a powerhead. I pulled all of the excess rock and put it into another bucket w/heater/powerhead. Then, I had a large container full of the rock that was in the testing Cadlights (full of saltwater). I positioned the new stand with the new tank right in front of the existing one and added about 20 lbs. of new sand (Seachem Grey Substrate w/Carib Sea Indo Pacific mix - 80/20), then the rock. I used 4 pieces of new, very porous rock and then added a few nice ones from the original tank. I had intended to drill the rocks but my drill bit wouldn't cut it. So, I opted for the normal way of working and positioned them so they locked together with placement. All of the leftovers went into my prop/frag tank. Here's what the working part of my day looked like:

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

Dishes to keep the cloudiness down when adding water:

IMG_0026.jpg

The clowns are ecstatic with the move - way more swimming room and they LOVE the current to play in. Regarding the plumbing, I originally ordered the oscillator with the tank but it made a weird clicking sound so I reworked it to include a T and off the first one, a Hydor Flo is attached and the remaining output is routed as the original tank with a 2.5" fan attachment pointed up. I also have a Tunze 6025 behind the rock and it is facing back and toward the overflow. I'm really happy with how this turned out because it creates a nice, varied flow (especially w/the HF). Here's a pic of the plumbing (I am switching out the white elbow later w/a painted one):

IMG_0027.jpg

OP
OP
P

Periette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back of the tank with CPR Bak-Pack 2R skimmer (very pleased with this). There is enough room to pull it up and out for maintenance. In the first chamber, I have a bag of Seagel/ChemiPure with live rock and filter floss. The second chamber houses the refugium (where I banished my emerald crab and a few blue-legged hermits). I have chaeto and a purple algae that while beautiful, was very invasive so it now lives there. Over that, I currently have the Cadlights fuge light but it's too long for my taste so I'm replacing it with a shorter model that will only sit over the fuge part. In the last section, I have the stock return pump, thermometer, float valve for ATO top-off, temp and Ph guages. Over this, I have a 2-fan Aquatek unit that is set to run during the MH period. This is a superb fan and helps keep my temps 79-81. I love it. Here are a few pics of the back:

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0026-1.jpg

Here are some FTS pics:

IMG_3874.jpg

IMG_3851.jpg

This was a great practice for when I ultimately move to Montréal. I'm still not certain how difficult it will be to bring my coral/etc. and still much research the legality aspect. Bottom line lesson for me - I need more buckets!!!

colinadam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking at the Cadlights for a long time as my next tank when I decide to get a second one.

Great tank. That aquascaping is amazing.

OP
OP
P

Periette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, everyone. I am so pleased with the upgrade. The clowns have been having a ball playing in the current and almost all of the corals were opened up within minutes of being placed. :)

Originally, I thought I was going to drill the rocks but my drill bit wasn't strong enough so I went back to fitting them together by locking, which worked very well. It turned out nicely and I'm happy with it (thanks for the compliment).

OP
OP
P

Periette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome looking upgrade....love the look of the aquascaping and the lights look BRIGHT :).

Is this the one that you got: http://www.cadlights.com/product_info.php?products_id=89

Just curious.

Adam

Thanks, Adam. That is the tank in the link. However, I have not yet received the HQI fixture from Cadlights so right now, I have a 24" Sunpod 150w HQI w/a 14k Phoenix bulb (beautiful) on the tank. I think I will leave this fixture on the tank as it really makes the colors pop (there is no actinic) and has 2 nice sets of LEDs that I use to simulate dusk/dawn and moonlight. I originally purchased the Sunpod to put on my prop/frag tank but think I will put the Cadlights fixture on it instead.

The aquascaping turned out great though I had thought about doing some drilling and suspending rocks, etc. Ha, that didn't last long as the drill bit wasn't doing anything at all. :) The rock locked together very well so I did not need epoxy, which was great since I hate working with it.

OP
OP
P

Periette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More updated pics:

IMG_3965.jpg

IMG_3998.jpg