I want a predatory tank

Because they need open area. If you did a very minimalist scape with a large amount of open sand they would do fine maybe in a 300 or less but that would take away the area your other fish need.
I see. Thank you so much for your input! do you think I should get a horseshoe crab?
 
I see. Thank you so much for your input! do you think I should get a horseshoe crab?
Not sure but I would guess one of your other inhabitants might eat it. Zebra eels are fish safe but those massive jaws are made for crushing shells.
 
Not sure but I would guess one of your other inhabitants might eat it. Zebra eels are fish safe but those massive jaws are made for crushing shells.
I have done some research of my own and I think that it would be safe as long as I got an adult horseshoe crab and a juvenile zebra eel with the eel being well fed
 
I have done some research of my own and I think that it would be safe as long as I got an adult horseshoe crab and a juvenile zebra eel with the eel being well fed
On average a horseshoe crab grows to about 26 inches including the tail with the largest which I believe is 31 or 32 inches, i don't see how you can keep a large horseshoe crab in an aquarium less than 300 or 400 gallons with the width of breadth atleast needing to be 4 feet just so that the crab can move around, I also don't see that being alright in the long term since a zebra moray can in fact grow till 5 feet and i am sure that if the crab gets flipped over by a decoration or by the eel, it is a done game, i infact had a lot of purse crabs in my tank and day by day I would see them disappear I would definitely pin point my zebra for that!
 
Last edited:
I have done some research of my own and I think that it would be safe as long as I got an adult horseshoe crab and a juvenile zebra eel with the eel being well fed
I think you'll be hard-pressed to find an adult horseshoe crab out there legally, but if you find one, let us know - I'd be curious to see how it goes (and to know where you sourced the crab; they're really slow growers).
 
I didn't even know that they existed if it wasn't for YouTube Lol, I've never seen them in real!
I think you'll be hard-pressed to find an adult horseshoe crab out there legally, but if you find one, let us know - I'd be curious to see how it goes (and to know where you sourced the crab; they're really slow growers).
[/QUOTED/]
 
On average a horseshoe crab grows to about 26 inches including the tail with the largest which I believe is 31 or 32 inches, i don't see how you can keep a large horseshoe crab in an aquarium less than 300 or 400 gallons with the width of breadth atleast needing to be 4 feet just so that the crab can move around, I also don't see that being alright in the long term since a zebra moray can in fact grow till 5 feet and i am sure that if the crab gets flipped over by a decoration or by the eel, it is a done game, i infact had a lot of purse crabs in my tank and day by day I would see them disappear I would definitely pin point my zebra for that!
Tachypleus gigas is the species I would get so they would be perfect
 
Tachypleus gigas is the species I would get so they would be perfect
The only horse shoe crab that you would be able to keep imo is a mangrove horseshoe crab but i have no idea where you would get one or if they are legal to keep.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 5 33.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 20.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new