I want an RO/DI System BUT I don't have a lot of Space - Suggestions ???

OP
OP
Finatik

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see the top blue handle (circled in yellow) is how I fill buckets or jugs with RODI water. There is a long hose with a PVC filling "hook" and another valve on the other end of the hose. It makes for easy filling and I don't have to stand there and hold the hose. I forgot to take a picture of the other end. The valves on the bottom that are circled are the actual mixing part of the station. The pump that is circled cycles the water in a loop drawing water in the bottom pipe and running up and back into the tank through the next two pipes up. The one with the blue handle is only open when I'm mixing salt actively. The two red handles are both always open unless I need to take the pump off.
Mixing station 3-2 a.jpg

i'm using the water hose spigot outside this window as a water source. With a long enough tube you can run the water as far as you need to. Just remember that the cold water that goes through there will collect condensation on the outside of the tube when it runs through your warm house. (found that out the hard way). I have a hole drilled into the bottom of the window casing for the water to come in (red tubing) and another for the reject water (black tubing) to exit. There are bushes out there so they are getting watered and it also helps to keep my foundation watered.... keeps the house from moving when we haven't had any rain for a while. The blue tubing is the good water that is going into the RODI container.

mixing station 3-2 b.jpg

It works really well for what I need. It's not the best set up in the world, and could probably be improved quite a bit. I hope that helps though!

Yes ! This helps a bunch. Thank You !
I'll post picks after I get it all set-up.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I think more about this, there is a small coat closet off the hallway that I could clear out, and possibly put two stackable water containers in, but I'd have to figure out how to stack them.
The issue is, that closet is nowhere near the kitchen, or the two tanks. And the tanks are in two different rooms.

First, this is a great place to consider an automatic water change system. Go to the trouble ONCE of plumbing RODI lines to/from the closet and all the tanks. Install a set of peristaltic pumps to move the water – done forever. If I recall correctly @Sacohen and @AquamanE chimed in on a thread of mine about their automatic systems

Second, for at least the saltwater container where you'll need to pour in salt mix and perhaps clean, I would select an open-top container with a lid vs the containers with the little 6" port-holes. (I would personally select that type for both tanks if possible.)

You can use the product filters on Chemtainer's Rectangular containers page to find one that maximizes your space.

Let's say your closet is 72" x 24" x 96"Tall.

You could hypothetically fit two 120 Gallon Rectangular Tanks side by side:
abrectank.jpg

They're 48x24x24.

120 gallons appears to be their largest model...at about $1000. So maybe you can look at smaller ones too. ;)

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You all ready to hate me haha here is mine
Throw a 50w preset heater 78F.
Maxi Jet 1200 with a needle wheel. In a 15g bin/bucket
Wait a day to get all the chlorine out through gas exchange.
Add salt and wait 4hrs. Done. Put one 5g bucket on a counter. Use a small old CRP bucket to fill up the 5g and run a syphon to the tank held down by the glass top. Keep filling up the 5g bucket until it is all gone. Only lifting about 2 gallons at a time. While dumping out the old water. Rinsing off a sponge in old tank water. 20m done.

IMG_20170226_022248.jpg

IMG_20170226_022740.jpg

IMG_20170226_022708.jpg

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add salt and wait 4hrs. Done. Put one 5g bucket on a counter. Use a small old CRP bucket to fill up the 5g and run a syphon to the tank held down by the glass top. Keep filling up the 5g bucket until it is all gone. Only lifting about 2 gallons at a time. While dumping out the old water. Rinsing off a sponge in old tank water. 20m done.

IMG_20170226_022248.jpg

IMG_20170226_022740.jpg

IMG_20170226_022708.jpg

You're using sink water? Why the chlorine? But if it's sink water how did you get 0 TDS? o_O

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a 5g bucket. Drilled a hole in it to fit the guts to 6 cup zerowater pitcher. Aquarium sealant on the bottom. Flip the bucket over. Sealed that so no water can pass through the bottom. I can screw in a new zerowater filter which is 5 stage filter that is the same in an RO/DI system. Get about 60g of .000TDS. THE TRICK to get 60 vs 30. Save the old filter that is rising. Say it is about .006. Filter that 5g. Unscrew the used one. Dump the .006 back in the top bucket and filter .006 water through a .000 filter to extend the life of the filter that is new, because it is braking down water only in the .006-.010 range

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're using sink water? Why the chlorine? But if it's sink water how did you get 0 TDS? o_O
Chlorine or chloramine is used to treat water from your water treatment plant. You can tell by the color of the water tint. Chlorine can dissipate through gas exchange in 24hrs. Especially with a needle wheel causing more bubbles than a paddle wheel impeller. If I had chloramine. Forget it. I would have to use prime or some chemical to fix that.

OP
OP
Finatik

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great thread ! But I have a question... @mcarroll makes a great point above:
For those of you using the containers that only have the small little black 6" circular port-hole on top, rather than a full size removable lid, How do you clean the container and keep it free from build up over time ?
IMG_1336.JPG

IMG_1441.JPG

OP
OP
Finatik

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_20170226_022248.jpg

IMG_20170226_022740.jpg

IMG_20170226_022708.jpg

This sounds like a great idea, BUT with a 75 gallon tank and a 90 gallon tank, plus two sumps holding 30 gallons each; we're talking about a total water change volume of 23 gallons of salt-water each week (if we use the 10% water change rule). Not to mention the amount of fresh RO/DI I'll need just for topping off.
So for me, using 5 gallon buckets would be too burdensome, and not much different than what I'm doing now: buying water at my LFS, and lugging several 5 gallon jugs into the house.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds like a great idea, BUT with a 75 gallon tank and a 90 gallon tank, plus two sumps holding 30 gallons each; we're talking about a total water change volume of 23 gallons of salt-water each week (if we use the 10% water change rule). Not to mention the amount of fresh RO/DI I'll need just for topping off.
So for me, using 5 gallon buckets would be too burdensome, and not much different than what I'm doing now: buying water at my LFS, and lugging several 5 gallon jugs into the house.
Absolutely not designed for the 41g+ tank keepers. I have a 40B salt and 13g brackish. Works great for my needs. The weekly % of water change for a 40B like I have needs to be 25%. You don't do less because you have less. You do that extra 5%, to stay on top of a tank that could swing way faster than 120g. 25% of 40g is 10g. I do about 10-13g. So at the end of the month I have completely taken out 100+% of the water or an equal of 40g+.

andrew james

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Auto water changes using a neptune dos would solve your probs. No more dragging buckets and your mixing stand can be just about anywhere.

I keep my mixing station really far away from my tank, maybe 40 feet away. I never have to carry water anymore. My Netpune DOS does auto water changes of 2 gallons per day. I've had it change out 30 gallons in one day before when I had an emergency. One side pumps in new saltwater the otherside removes it. I run one RoDi line from my saltwater tanks which I keep in the crawl space below my house. and the other goes to the drain under the kitchen sink.

My friend did it by building a small shed in his backyard and insulating it.

Just something to think about. Water changes are for suckers.

OP
OP
Finatik

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Auto water changes using a neptune dos would solve your probs. No more dragging buckets and your mixing stand can be just about anywhere.

I keep my mixing station really far away from my tank, maybe 40 feet away. I never have to carry water anymore. My Netpune DOS does auto water changes of 2 gallons per day. I've had it change out 30 gallons in one day before when I had an emergency. One side pumps in new saltwater the otherside removes it. I run one RoDi line from my saltwater tanks which I keep in the crawl space below my house. and the other goes to the drain under the kitchen sink.

My friend did it by building a small shed in his backyard and insulating it.

Just something to think about. Water changes are for suckers.

I'll definitely check out the Neptune DOS.

OP
OP
Finatik

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a picture of what this will look like and how it will work ?
No, as this setup was designed in my head. You mount the RO unit to a piece of plywood that id mounter near the top of the hand truck. You have a connection from your RO(Inlet) that is connected to your facet. a connection From Ro (Waste water) to drain in sink and Outlet of RO to collection bucket under RO unit. Then you trnsfer RO water to a mixing bucket with salt in it.

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great thread ! But I have a question... @mcarroll makes a great point above:
For those of you using the containers that only have the small little black 6" circular port-hole on top, rather than a full size removable lid, How do you clean the container and keep it free from build up over time ?
IMG_1336.JPG

IMG_1441.JPG
Like that first setup in terms of layout! That yours? Where's the stand from if so? Also... is only one pump required?

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, this is a great place to consider an automatic water change system. Go to the trouble ONCE of plumbing RODI lines to/from the closet and all the tanks. Install a set of peristaltic pumps to move the water – done forever. If I recall correctly @Sacohen and @AquamanE chimed in on a thread of mine about their automatic systems

Second, for at least the saltwater container where you'll need to pour in salt mix and perhaps clean, I would select an open-top container with a lid vs the containers with the little 6" port-holes. (I would personally select that type for both tanks if possible.)

You can use the product filters on Chemtainer's Rectangular containers page to find one that maximizes your space.

abrectank.jpg

They're 48x24x24.

120 gallons appears to be their largest model...at about $1000. So maybe you can look at smaller ones too. ;)

abrectank.jpg

They're 48x24x24.

Hey there. I'm looking for some big-picture advice on an RO/DI system I'm setting up at my school (yabadoo). There is a staff bathroom adjacent to my classroom separated by a wall that can be easily drilled through. Room is tight in the bathroom so I'm thinking it would be prudent to set up the RO/DI unit in my class on the wall abutting the bathroom and near my tank (rather than in the bathroom under the sink). I would then run tap water and wastewater lines to-and-from the RO/DI unit. Any insights on the technicalities/equipment to achieve this aside from a great RO/DI unit with TDS meters, flush functions, etc.? I'm thinking a booster pump to begin to ensure water is transported at sufficient PSI through about 10-20 feet to my classroom (~10 feet lateral, ~10 feet head-hight). Having the RO/DI unit elevated a bit in the classroom on the wall (e.g., 4-5 feet) seems to be what most are doing too. Thanks for any insights!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.3%
Back