I want to start automating my dosing and switching methods

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
OK, I need some help and guidance. I've been researching but am not sure what I have found is applicable to me as well as I haven't found the smoking gun that will help me not think I will nuke my tank.

Background/Situation/Equipment:
- Tank was relocated 150 miles 3 months ago. Tank was severely neglected and has really come a long way with help of some weekly guidance from my LFS. Tank had GHA that was 4-5 inches long covering 40-50% of the rock. During the move the substrate was severely shaken up and 50% of the original water was used. I didn't, but should have, used new substrate. I plan to do a rip clean in the next month as I have to slide the tank around to fix the stand. Tank must have started a mini cycle when we put it back together. I have had no success in getting ammonia to zero, it's been hanging out <0.09 (parameters will be listed below). Nutrients have been really low too.
- Tank is > 3 years old.
- Total system volume is 135G
- Has 3 Hydra 32s and a 40W UV
- Using 2 return pumps
- Lots of Chaeto, maybe 5-7 cups in the refugium, lights on opposite the display lights
- No whites 90 minutes of ramp up/down plus 8 hours of light daily for the display
- Pods in the refugium are doing really well

- I feed 1 time a day of defrosted Rods. Some times we feed flake during the day, but I think they like the high life and wait for Rod as they never really for it.
- I spot and broadcast reef roids or chili 2 times a week.
- I will spot feed the corals Rods 1-2 times a week.
Light bioload - up until 7 days ago there were 4 fish, now it is 6, all smaller sized (Anyone want a undulated trigger? If you can get it out you can have it :) )
I have been manually dosing (not exactly the same every day in terms of exact amounts and for sure not exact times). I currently dose:

- AB+ daily 25ML all at one time
- AFR daily 65ML
- Randy's ammonia solution - 11ML one time a day
- Red Sea Nopox 11ML a day

I also do weekly water changes (10-30%). Every 3rd week I scrub half my rocks to remove GHA. I have to say, it is getting better. I also use RODI that goes through a 7S system with 1Micron filters.

I know I am not being consistent with my time and my amounts. I have an Apex, so I went and picked up several DOS units. Consistency is key, so I thought automation and consistent dosing amounts is that key to success.

With BRS having their sale and me watching my parameters I was thinking a 2 part plan would be better, this way I can target what needs to get what. I picked up the 2 part balling method.

Parameters and pictures are posted below. Questions:

How do I go about switching from AFR to a 2 part plan? How do I determine the delta by each part? Meaning, should I stop dosing in totality to measure over the consumption rate over 5 days?

My MG and CA look really high. If I 2 part, I can target which needs what, right?

Any thoughts on why I can't get my ammonia back down to zero?

Nutrients are really concerning to me, I am dark curing a second tank that will be ready in about 2-3 weeks to start doing some stuff to. I was planning on moving a bunch of chaeto to that tank so I can start off with a healthy pod population. I fear the chaeto might be consuming too much? Should I create a stand along 5G tank and move all the chaeto there for now?

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had had to shutdown my refugium because my nutrients were always undetectable. Now, I just use a filter sock and skim very dry. I also have an auto feeder that drops pellets during the day. At the least, turn down the refugium light, pull out most the cheato, and shorten the photoperiod.

You shouldn’t have to scrub your rocks. Get some tangs and a bunch of snails.

Switching to 2 part won’t be a big deal, do your homework and get as close as you can to the right dose. Test your aok often the first week or two.

Another option is doing more water changes for awhile to bring calcium and magnesium inline and sticking with all for reef.

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the ammonia issues go I don't have a potential solution for that. When I started my tank I insta cycled it with Fritz Turbo start and had great success with the 2 tanks I used it on. I would look and see if that product could help you at all.

I have battled all types of algae in my reefing journey and I have always had success with @AlgaeBarn's OceanMagik Phyto Plankton. I would look in to using that if I were you. I have a reefer 350 (91 gallons) and dose 60 ML of phyto a day and have virtually no issues with algae except bryposis which I'm attacking now.

I think you are dosing too much AB+ for your coral load. I would consider bringing that number down a little. That would help with the excess algae.

Since you have an Apex and just picked up more than one DOS unit I would recommend getting the Trident as well. I have their full Apex system and it has made my switch to automatic dosing very easy. I set a specific amount to dose of CA & ALK each day. You can switch to Trident Controlled dosing once you are comfortable with the consumption. I did briefly but switched back to preset numbers as it started to fluctuate a little more.

If you're seeing progress with your current maintenance routine I wouldn't switch a lot of other stuff since what you're doing is woking. It just takes time.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back