i was sold a hammer as branching but now i’m thinking it might be a wall hammer? help please!

postmalonestoes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got this “branching” hammer exactly 2 weeks ago and everyone at the store told me it was a branching hammer but now just by the looks of it with more research it seems like it might be a wall hammer. can someone help clarify that? thanks. (p.s. it looks a little beat up cause it’s not adapted to my parameters yet and i just fixed an alkalinity/salinity problem but it’s fine now)

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar branching one (I’m assuming) as it had two heads. One head died but the other is thriving. Compared to my other branching hammers though, it does look like a wall type so I don’t know if there’s different types of branching

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A big head of a branching hammer looks like a very small wall hammer. I think this is probably one head that was about to split but is now probably on its way out. Since this is only one polyp, I have little hope of it recovering, but it would be awesome if I were wrong.

newbie2014

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the pic, I could only see a little white skeleton at the very bottom. It might have been cut too close to the flesh, and that will decrease its chance of survival.

ID wise; it could be either a wall or a splitting branch hammer. Did you pay for 1or 2 heads?

OP
OP
P

postmalonestoes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I hope there are matured live rocks somewhere in the system.
what would you consider matured? i think it’s probably just the type i’ve live rock as my lfs only sells this colour of rock and the rocks in their systems are also white? thanks for the info tho because i’ve never heard that before

OP
OP
P

postmalonestoes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the pic, I could only see a little white skeleton at the very bottom. It might have been cut too close to the flesh, and that will decrease its chance of survival.

ID wise; it could be either a wall or a splitting branch hammer. Did you pay for 1or 2 heads?
i didn’t actually ask as i don’t know my lfs pricing system but thanks

OP
OP
P

postmalonestoes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A big head of a branching hammer looks like a very small wall hammer. I think this is probably one head that was about to split but is now probably on its way out. Since this is only one polyp, I have little hope of it recovering, but it would be awesome if I were wrong.
thanks! any tips to maximize its chance at survival?

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks! any tips to maximize its chance at survival?
Honestly I think the coral needs stable favorable conditions. It’s tough to get that nailed down in a relatively new tank.

How long has your set up been going? The other comments about the rock looking new are relevant just because this kind of outcome might be explained by it being a freshly set up tank.

Could you tell us a little more about the tank? the tanks age and your water parameters would be a helpful place to start.

newbie2014

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what would you consider matured? i think it’s probably just the type i’ve live rock as my lfs only sells this colour of rock and the rocks in their systems are also white? thanks for the info tho because i’ve never heard that before
The main thing people are wondering is if your tank/system has enough beneficial biological bacteria (matured) to support the coral. A matured live rocks do not maintain their white color.

This my new tank last March:
CF11FD0F-DD49-4363-99A4-12ECE9C692DF.jpeg
But in my sump are 30+lbs of these 5 yrs old live rocks from my old tank:
82597887-136A-4A68-821A-EF0B01CC1EB0.jpeg
Yes, that’s clown eggs on top of an RBTA.

Here’s that hammer a month later:
EE2528A0-511B-42A2-93CC-CD64A314FB3F.jpeg

Having matured/live rocks does help.

OP
OP
P

postmalonestoes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I think the coral needs stable favorable conditions. It’s tough to get that nailed down in a relatively new tank.

How long has your set up been going? The other comments about the rock looking new are relevant just because this kind of outcome might be explained by it being a freshly set up tank.

Could you tell us a little more about the tank? the tanks age and your water parameters would be a helpful place to start.
the tank is 4 and a half months old, nitrate - 8ppm/ nitrite - 0ppm/ ammonia - 0ppm/ alkalinity - 10 ppm/ calcium 430 ppm

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's surprising-- I would expect there to be more life on there. E.g. algae and stuff. Any idea why it's so sterile? A 4.5 month old tank is often coated in all kinds of growth. I know this is a bit of a tangent, but I'm thinking that at 4.5 months a biological equilibrium should be on its way to being established and some microalgae are a part of that.

A 4.5 month old system should easily house many LPS corals, and a hammer shouldn't really present much of an issue.

How large is the tank? Have you tried any other corals? How long have you had fish in the system?

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back