I would like to breed my clown fish can anyone help out

813Reefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I would like to breed my clown fish any breeders can help me out on how to get them to breed I put my pair in a fluval breeding box that hanging from my tank

image.jpg

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys I would like to breed my clown fish any breeders can help me out on how to get them to breed I put my pair in a fluval breeding box that hanging from my tank

image.jpg
First one of them has to become female and it’s going to tank a lot of patience, letting them figure it out/pair if they do, and having ideal tank conditions and then separating them from their eggs so they don’t eat them. Do some reading on breeding clownfish. It typically takes YEARS for young ones to breed. https://www.ocellarisclownfish.com/how-to-breed-clownfish/

Last edited:

hoytoyed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C0148754-958C-49E9-9E57-4D86566D96FA.jpeg

My spotcinctus have been spawning for a couple of months and laid their 3rd clutch of eggs today. I got these as 1” babies this past November from sea and reef. They are much larger now with the female being probably 3 1/2 “ and the male slightly smaller, maybe 3”.

Here they are in November of 2021 as the first fish in the tank. First pic is from today.
3AE35E13-D2DF-4066-89F1-9B13A9706A02.jpeg

Liza_casella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how old they are maybe 3 4 months
That is most definitely too young to breed, the normal breeding age starts around 1 1/2-2 years old! Every animal is different, and anything is possible, but I would say 3-4 months is way too young!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You're going to want to look into how to raise clownfish fry. It's a lot more complicated than freshwater fry; they need incredibly tiny live foods, of multiple different kinds.

A breeder box is to put fry or pregnant guppies in, so the fry won't get eaten. It's not to make the fish breed. It'll do the opposite of making the fish breed, since it's bare, small, and stressful.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back