Ice Cap 3K Gyre Poisoning my tank?!?!

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting! Are you sure its not algae or bacterial slime? The color does look like rust. After you wipe the impeller, how does the magnet look? Are there spots or imperfections on the impeller? If it was rusting, you would see rust spots or cracks or scars on the impeller.
Looks like the same crud that came off of every power head I've used with ceramic impeller, never had an issue.

OP
OP
MarsRover

MarsRover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ceramic magnets in general are reef safe. Lots of pumps use exposed ceramic impellers. Also, if rust was the issue, you'd see high levels of Fe. Your triton shows undetectable Fe levels. Do you use Marinepure blocks, or Seachem Phosguard? That can explain your high Al.

I do use marine pure blocks but not phosguard. Running cuprisorb and carbon.

Sent another triton out yesterday to see if running the carbon and cuprisorb for the last month or two has helped

furam28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do use marine pure blocks but not phosguard. Running cuprisorb and carbon.

Sent another triton out yesterday to see if running the carbon and cuprisorb for the last month or two has helped
The Marinepure block explains the Aluminum. MP is known to leach Aluminum. Google "Marine Pure Aluminum". Here is my triton result: Screenshot_3.jpg

At that time I had a 8x4x4 Marinepure block in the sump.

I would suggest running Poly-Bio Marine Poly-Filter. There are some other copycat "polyfilters" in the market. Make sure to get the Poly Filter from Marinedepot: https://www.marinedepot.com/Poly_Fi...Media-Poly_Bio_Marine-PB1111-FIFMMEPM-vi.html . This thing has a very high binding capacity for copper, but it also binds many other heavy metals including Aluminum, Lead, Cadmium, Mercury, Zinc, Iron. It has been extensively laboratory tested for its efficiency. I usually like to run a Poly Filter once every 2 or 3 months to remove any potentially accumulated heavy metal or toxin that I dont know of. I run it for 2 weeks and then throw it away. Don't run it all the time because it can potentially strip the water of some trace elements such as iron. Even copper may be beneficial for corals at very low levels.

OP
OP
MarsRover

MarsRover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Marinepure block explains the Aluminum. MP is known to leach Aluminum. Google "Marine Pure Aluminum". Here is my triton result: Screenshot_3.jpg

At that time I had a 8x4x4 Marinepure block in the sump.

I would suggest running Poly-Bio Marine Poly-Filter. There are some other copycat "polyfilters" in the market. Make sure to get the Poly Filter from Marinedepot: https://www.marinedepot.com/Poly_Fi...Media-Poly_Bio_Marine-PB1111-FIFMMEPM-vi.html . This thing has a very high binding capacity for copper, but it also binds many other heavy metals including Aluminum, Lead, Cadmium, Mercury, Zinc, Iron. It has been extensively laboratory tested for its efficiency. I usually like to run a Poly Filter once every 2 or 3 months to remove any potentially accumulated heavy metal or toxin that I dont know of. I run it for 2 weeks and then throw it away. Don't run it all the time because it can potentially strip the water of some trace elements such as iron. Even copper may be beneficial for corals at very low levels.

Ugh lol why don't they post this info on the pages of the product!!

Hopefully Germany gets my water soon so we can see where I'm at but this product looks interesting. Thank you!

OP
OP
MarsRover

MarsRover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I sealed the gyre magnets with silicone and am running poly-filter pads now and doing ~25gallon per week water changes. Going to send in another test in a few weeks (once i reach the 6 water changes). This is where I was at 11 Jan 2018.

No idea where the Lithium, Vanadium, or barium are coming from....

I suspect the silicon is coming from my portland cement rocks

Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 11.15.50 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 11.15.56 AM.png

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 60 75.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%

Back