Ice cap dual ato dropping my salinity

Discussion in 'Tank Emergency' started by Eb1air, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Eb1air

Eb1air Member

Just bought a ato first one installed 24 hrs ago keeps over pumping my salinity went from 1.026 to 1.023 scared that it's going to kill my sps never used a ato before sick of lugging water.... any ways set up to instructions now water level is way high and keeps setting off audible alarm

Tags:

2. Eb1air

Eb1air Member

Any help with setting it up spot on on directions

3. khushtram

khushtram Active Member

Is it constantly dripping water ?

4. kkiel02

kkiel02 Active Member

Is it pumping or siphoning? Maybe your ato container is too high. If not you are having trouble with your sensor it sounds like.

5. Eb1air

Eb1air Member

Pumping I have the siphon break on it I think it's the sensor too pritty mad 124 dollars down the drain . I'm contacting the company today

6. MrObscura

MrObscura Active Member

I have it and it works great. Are you sure something isn't dropping the water level causing it to kick on? Any snails or anything that can get near the overflow?

7. homer1475

homer1475 Active Member

And people wonder why everyone always suggests the tunze. A little pricey, but quality always comes at a price.

8. MrObscura

MrObscura Active Member

No one's ever had issues with a tunze? 1 post complaining about something does not equal a lack of quality. Like I said, I have the icecap and went with it after researching all the options. It works great.

Personally, I'll take dual optical eyes for almost half the price.

9. Eb1air

Eb1air Member

I was going to go with a tunze but I figured that I would try this bad idea for me . And no snails or anything getting close it's in with my skimmer section of the sump n tryed other places n still random kicking on after I caught it overfilling

10. JBKReef

JBKReef Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor

How large of a tank is the ATO on? I had to scale pack the pump on my ATO because the amount it pumped in the 10 seconds it was on was way too much water. Is it possible this is running on a nano?

11. Eb1air

Eb1air Member

No 75 gallon dt and 30 gallon sump used a 5 gallon bucket for reservoir till I get around to buying a nice one or building one

12. dansreef

dansreef Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Where have you placed your reservoir? is it above the waterline of the sump or same or below. Should be below to prevent any gravity siphoning from reservoir to sump... If is below...then make sure the tube from pump is above the water so there is no reverse siphoning....

I used to run a Aqualifter on a breakout box for my Apex.... and the jug was at or near the same level as the waterline.... it had a bad habit of siphoning until the level of the jug was the same level of the sump... I then built my new setup and now have a Tunze and it has been bullet proof.... (knock on wood)! Worth every penny to me. I like the dual sensors... I have not had any issues. The reservoir is 2 ft below the sump level I want to maintain...

I hope this is helpful. Good Luck!

13. MrObscura

MrObscura Active Member

I didn't mean snails near the ato, I meant near the overflow in the tank. That will drop the water level in the sump.

Anyway, its good ato. if yours is defective, that can happen with any product, just get a replacement in that case.

14. AngryMike2016

AngryMike2016 Active Member

I have two Icecaps, and they work perfectly fine for me. You may have received a defective unit, or something is causing the level in your sump (return section, right) to drop - such as skimming too wet, using feed mode on power heads, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted