Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IceCap 3K Gyre Generation Flow Pump

MSRP Price- $149.99
Dimensions (LxWxH): 12.2in x 3.1in x 1.7in
Flow Rate: ~3000gph
Power Consumption: 40w-8w
Ideal for Aquariums: 25 -100 gallons

Features - (As listed on Coralvue's site)
-Unique Gyre Flow - Virtually Eliminates Dead Spots
-Evenly Distributed Linear Flow
-Discrete Design
-Twin Directional Flow Cages
-Waterproof Magnet Mount
-Controller with Mountable Cradle
-5 Flow Modes
-Constant Speed Mode
-Pulsing Mode
-Gradual Pulsing Mode
-Random Mode
-And Alternating Gyre Mode
-24 Hour Program Cycle
-10min Feed Mode
-Technology licensed by Maxspect

Now let's get to the review!

First Impressions- I was skeptical about several aspects on this pump; controller looked a little bit toyish in the photos and compared the pump dimensions to the maxspect gyre and it seemed that the IceCap mount stuck out more than the Maxspect. Once I received the pump and had a very satisfying unboxing experience i was wrong. For the price you cannot find a better pump. Period.

Controller- The controller is well built, doesn't have that lightweight, empty, or cheap feeling. Controller has a heatsink behind it as well as a pretty clever mount that's super easy to remove. Instructions and instructional Youtube videos make the control easy to set up. The Ipod-Like click wheel was actually a pretty neat idea and made the controller easy to learn set up and configuration. The different modes are pretty standard for wavemakers with the constant, random, gradual pulsing, pulsing, and recently gyre flow. But it's not so much the modes that speak to me, it's the reachability under rocks and how well the flow stays in tact when it reaches the other side of my tank (this tank being a 24.7x24.7x24.7 cube) bounces off the glass and creates that gyre flow that other pumps cannot achieve. The magnets it comes with are extremely strong however i wish they fully encased them in the rubber rather than having them be visible on the sides. I am saying super strong because my glass is 12mm thick and only larger tanks or rimless tanks have that thick of glass and or acrylic tanks. As far as noise levels go it's pretty average being not the loudest wavemaker i've ever heard but not the quietest. At 30-50% you don't hear anything sitting 5 feet away, only when you start to run it towards the max you'd still have to be either next to the tank or sit in a dead silent room to hear it. For those wondering, no it's not as quiet as a Vortech Quiet Drive but it's pretty darn close.

Pros:
-Economical price
-More gph per dollar than most pumps in that price range
-Controller w. mount
-Small profile
-Ability to connect to IceCap Batter Backup

Cons:
-Not wireless
-Cannot link multiple pumps together

Final Thoughts- For me it was either this or the Maxspect version for almost double the price and the difference was down to do I want the ability to connect to a 3rd party controller using the IceCap module as well as be able to connect another pump to the same controller? Answer was not worth it, at least in my case. My tank may not be as long as other tanks that may need two pumps but even for the price of $149.99 you cannot go wrong grabbing yourself one of these amazing pumps. Your not being cheap in no way in getting yourself one of these because it's not a cheap pump. I think the reason it's so low cost is to simply compete with jebao and sure it has no wifi feature or 3rd party accessibility but it's well worth the price tag given. Kudos to IceCap and Coralvue for the effort to make this style pump available to more hobbyist.

Note: I am not going to say this pump is better than Ecotech Marine's Vortech pumps or other traditional style wavemaker pumps because it simply does something different and achieves a different goal. Can't compare apples to oranges.

CoralVue
IMG_0649.JPG
IMG_0648.JPG
IMG_0650.JPG
IMG_0651.JPG
IMG_0652.JPG
IMG_0653.JPG
IMG_0647.JPG

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on how you still like this ? BRS seems to have a lot of bad reviews on it lately.

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running it for 6 months now and it has been running great the whole time. It is time to take it apart and clean it.
Would you recommend it to a fellow reefer?
I’m looking at getting 2 of them for my 240.
Buying 2 of these is cheaper then 1 Maxspect XF250 by $30 sadly

wcharon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also trying to make the same decision but what I have read is that the Controllers are a huge difference because the pumps are the same.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you recommend it to a fellow reefer?
I’m looking at getting 2 of them for my 240.
Buying 2 of these is cheaper then 1 Maxspect XF250 by $30 sadly
For that size tank I'd go with the maxspect XF250. They produce over 5000 gph where the ice cap is 3000gph. I love my 3k gyre but for your application I believe the maxspect would be better.

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For that size tank I'd go with the maxspect XF250. They produce over 5000 gph where the ice cap is 3000gph. I love my 3k gyre but for your application I believe the maxspect would be better.
I was looking at getting 2 which is still cheaper then 1 xf250

OP
OP
Joeganja

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love
It. I have had no
Issues with it and I would recommend it for anyone who doesn’t mind not having to sync two pumps together. I mean if you
don’t care about having two gyres not being synced together than this is the best bang for your buck and I will say that because the price your paying by all mean does not make it a cheap item. It’s controller is very solid as well as the pump itself.

OP
OP
Joeganja

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will however note and I say this because I sleep 5 feet away from
The tank that the pump to me is hearable especially when the pump is over 40%. You can hear the vibration. But if this is in a living room or an area where white noise isn’t an issue. Not as silent a vortech but nothing that cannot be a determining factor.

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Has anyone had any issues with their pump building up with air and making noise. I have micro bubbles coming off my rock work during the day and the bubbles are getting trapped within the middle of the impeller. Once the air is trapped in there the pump gets extremely noisy. All I need to do is put the pump in feed mode and all the air escapes and the pump then is quite again. I cant think of any fix for this. Drives me crazy. I sold one of my mp40's to offset the cost of the gyre and am wondering if I made a mistake.
thanks
jeff

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the first sign that the impeller and cage need a good scrubbing. It happens about once a month for me. Once I hear the noise and see the bubbles then I remove and clean during my next water change.

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is the first sign that the impeller and cage need a good scrubbing. It happens about once a month for me. Once I hear the noise and see the bubbles then I remove and clean during my next water change.
Just a simple cleaning will stop it from trapping air inside the impeller? Both of my pumps have been in my tank for a month of so without cleaning.
Jeff

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That has been my experience with the power head. Take it apart and clean it and see if that helps. Also, make sure it's not pulling in air from being to close to the surface. Cleaning the power head has always worked for me though.

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
thanks a bunch, Ill take them apart tomorrow. I tried to take one of them apart early on just to see how the maintenance would be and I wasnt able to remove the cermanic shaft from the pump motor. I was pushing really hard from the proper side and the bushing and shaft would not come out of the pump body. I will have to try again and maybe have to tap it lightly to get it to come apart.
thanks
jeff

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always leave the shaft be. I remove the cage then the impeller comes right off the ceramic shaft. Tooth brush clean in the sink then I put it back together.

Ewilson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mine, run it on random mode and it does get a bit noisy around 80% but I also haven't cleaned it in months :p

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back