Icecap 4k controller rally...Help support Reverse!

mikereefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jeff@CoralVue

I realize im late to the party, but yes please make this happen.
I also have 2 2k gyre's and cant stand that they must be synchronized without using some external input. Why cant I take 1 pump face it right, have it run for 30 minutes with the other one off, then run the pump facing left and run it 30 minutes with with the other one off, then run both at various speeds to create moving points of turbulence like talked about by BRSTv here

The fact the only way to do this seems to be to run an Apex or some other 3rd party controller makes zero sense, the wifi controller should be able to do this but its not possible. Right now i have to hack around it by using A and B fins and doing an alternating gyre, but this limits my pump to half its power and just creates clockwise gyre in the back and then a counterclockwise gyre in the front.

I was actually considering buying two icecaps with the controller for this exact "moving turbulence" as shown by the BRS videos! So there's no way to antisync them the way BRS recommends ?

FuzzeWuzze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually considering buying two icecaps with the controller for this exact "moving turbulence" as shown by the BRS videos! So there's no way to antisync them the way BRS recommends ?

Not without an external 10V controller like an Apex as far as I can tell. I cant seem to wrap my head around who thought making a dual pump controller where both pumps are tied together was a good design choice.

I love the pumps, and even the software in general works well. Its just the seemingly artificial handicaps imposed like not being able to independently control either pump super limits its capabilities. Why cant i have 1 pump going 100% forward, and another pump going 50% reverse? They dont know the layouts of everyones tank and why they might want something like that, but you cant.

OP
OP
T

Tampaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible that CoralVue didn't release the full capabilities at launch as to have following generations? Or is it just to push Control 2 & 4 and/or Wave Engine. Again, it was pushed how much controllability these things had with no mention that it required more money on tech...most of which most was not even released when the dual pump came out.
Sure, Vortech pumps have had iterations, but the software capabilities now exist and there are not programing advancements leading to new products in a flow pattern sense.
The hardware can handle it, very well infact...get the software up to the level of the top professionals....and an MP-40 doesn't need a contoller....just thinking

Last edited:

FuzzeWuzze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible that CoralVue didn't release the full capabilities at launch as to have following generations? Or is it just to push Control 2 & 4 and/or Wave Engine. Again, it was pushed how much controllability these things had with no mention that it required more money on tech...most of which most was not even released when the dual pump came out.
Sure, Vortech pumps have had iterations, but the software capabilities now exist and there are not programing advancements leading to new products in a flow pattern sense.
The hardware can handle it, very well infact...get the software up to the level of the top professionals....and an MP-40 doesn't need a contoller....just thinking
I mean i can understand it with the old 1/3k generation and their relatively basic controller. But the newer 2/4k and the wifi controller it makes no sense and as you state the only reason I can think is to push more hardware. Which is disappointing to say the least. My $200 wifi controller should be able to do this, the fact i need another $200-400 controller to control my $200 controller to do this is idiotic. I'm investigating just creating a small reefpi unit just to output the 0-10V analog signal to get this functionality.

ianryd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm bummed that the pumps and controller I paid for turned out to be a lite version that can't be used to their full potential. I don't want or need the hydros. I just want my 4k pumps and controller to be the full version I thought I was getting.

FuzzeWuzze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've recently learned the 0-10V for the Icecap line is only for setting triggers(Feeding Mode/etc) but not for actually controlling pumps. This is reserved for the Gyre Interface module and the more expensive MaxSpect gyres.

So if your looking for the moving turbulence, look elsewhere or prepare to pay a lot more for MaxSpect gyres and an Apex.

Last edited:

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 43 47.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.6%
Back