Icecap battery backup with Current USA eFlux loop

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone is using the icebox battery backup with the currentUSA eflux system? Do you need anything additional to make it work? Again any help is appreciated.

upload_2019-6-10_20-8-35.jpeg
upload_2019-6-10_20-10-58.jpeg

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If memory serves me correctly the icecap comes with several adapters for use with multiple styles of dc plugs so I would assume it would work.

OP
OP
Taxus812

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks but Im a bit confused and don't want to make a $100 mistake. It says it will power 12-24v pumps. The eflux is 24v but the instructions and literature for the icecap battery state its 12v. I was trying to figure how to set it up for 24v before I buy one.

Amateur Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever figure this out? I had called current and they told me it would work but now I that I bought it, I can’t get them to play nice.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

The literature on these is not ideal and it depends on how you run the pumps. Honestly it says 12-24v meaning it can power a wave maker that consumes 12 and up to 24v, it won’t power 12 of them etc. secondly, if you run these at full power your going to be right at 24volts. Since I use 6 of them, with the Bluetooth, it’s interesting how you have to wire it. But daisy linking them would be your best option either through the manifolds, or through the ic loop manifold. I would definitely take a volt meter and see how much your pulling with one pump. Then add a second pump with the first one at 50%, power to be safe and then check voltage at both pumps etc.

When it came to my system having a battery back up I went with a 6,000 watt generator (super silent and it was 499) and sits outside. Power has gone out now four times and it runs the entire system with no issues. Yes it’s not pretty like those are, but all I want it to do is run my system. I’m extremely familiar with all the current eflux wiring etc and have been through the worst of it. So if you need help I can definitely get you where you need to be:

OP
OP
Taxus812

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever figure this out? I had called current and they told me it would work but now I that I bought it, I can’t get them to play nice.

Yeah it will work but not well. It’s nothing more than a y cable and A small 12volt battery. I tested running the system on a 12v battery I had and I could get it to run but without the 24v power supply connected.

The issue is When you connect your 24v power supply to it. it will try to draw the power down to 12v. That will eventually kill the battery. I also imagine it will also cause other issues.

The best way to fix it is to use a boost converter that steps 12v to 24v from the backup before the y adaptor.

I actually went a different route entirely.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/solar-generator-for-backup-power.621771/#post-6227839

Hope this helps you out.

Amateur Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it will work but not well. It’s nothing more than a y cable and A small 12volt battery. I tested running the system on a 12v battery I had and I could get it to run but without the 24v power supply connected.

The issue is When you connect your 24v power supply to it. it will try to draw the power down to 12v. That will eventually kill the battery. I also imagine it will also cause other issues.

The best way to fix it is to use a boost converter that steps 12v to 24v from the backup before the y adaptor.

I actually went a different route entirely.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/solar-generator-for-backup-power.621771/#post-6227839

Hope this helps you out.

thanks, your set up seems sweet. But it is way beyond my capabilities. Right now, when I plug the pump straight into the battery I get an error on the eFlux hub that there is insufficent voltage. Are you saying the way to fix this is with a boost converter? I'd really like to make this backup battery work if possible.

OP
OP
Taxus812

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks, your set up seems sweet. But it is way beyond my capabilities. Right now, when I plug the pump straight into the battery I get an error on the eFlux hub that there is insufficent voltage. Are you saying the way to fix this is with a boost converter? I'd really like to make this backup battery work if possible.

You should check the voltage from the battery and make sure its 12v or higher. the battery should actually be close to 13v to be considered "full". I can plug my 12v battery and it will run fine. However the flow is garbage at that voltage since it is half of what you set. I suppose its just emergency so its ok.

If you can get a 5a 12 to 24volt boost converter ($2 on ebay). It would go inline between the battery and the y cable. You will have to solder on the connectors (2.1mm x 5.5mm barrel connectors) most likely. There is one risk I have to mention since I haven't tried this. When you plug in the power supply to the y adaptor the boost may not like it. I don't know if the y cable has a diode or not. I just ordered some boost converters so I may try it out. the only issue is they will come from Hong Kong and could take a while.

Amateur Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should check the voltage from the battery and make sure its 12v or higher. the battery should actually be close to 13v to be considered "full". I can plug my 12v battery and it will run fine. However the flow is garbage at that voltage since it is half of what you set. I suppose its just emergency so its ok.

If you can get a 5a 12 to 24volt boost converter ($2 on ebay). It would go inline between the battery and the y cable. You will have to solder on the connectors (2.1mm x 5.5mm barrel connectors) most likely. There is one risk I have to mention since I haven't tried this. When you plug in the power supply to the y adaptor the boost may not like it. I don't know if the y cable has a diode or not. I just ordered some boost converters so I may try it out. the only issue is they will come from Hong Kong and could take a while.
Hmm, I wonder why when I plug in the battery it doesn't work at all. The eFlux hub blinks red indicating insufficient voltage.

OP
OP
Taxus812

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to lookup one of there pumps. DC Flow Pump 1900 GPH is 55watts .

It may work but could draw 4-5 amps at 12v. The icecap battery I think is only an 8 ah battery so you are looking at only a few hours. (8 amp hour battery / 4 amp = 2 hour battery)

It might be better to skip the sump and just backup a pump that breaks the water surface and does some circulation.

duper15597

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s my other option is to just buy the ecotech battery back up for my mp40s.

I was really hoping to find something that would work for my heaters also. You would think with all this technology in this hobby a company would have something. Does Apex?

OP
OP
Taxus812

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s my other option is to just buy the ecotech battery back up for my mp40s.

I was really hoping to find something that would work for my heaters also. You would think with all this technology in this hobby a company would have something. Does Apex?

Yeah,
It’s the total power requirement is the limiting factor. Look up solar generator on amazon and you can get a backup that will power everything but it’s gonna be extremely expensive.

I ended up building a small one to run my eflux pumps with a 35ah battery. It’s working great so if no power I should be able to go for a few days. I have a gas generator for anything longer than a few hours however. I just needed it for overnights and for if a gfci Tripp’s when I’m not home.

Paratrooper Lutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason the Loop Controller is Blinking is because your sending to much power to it or Vise Versa. It is a built in Protector so you don't burn it up. Looking up both eFlux Wave Makers and EFlux Return pump, which I own both Run on 24v but if the amps are incorrect the Bluetooth or the LOOP Controller will simply shut down because the Ice Cap is trying to cut the power to 20% of the Input Power to run either controller. Now that that's said it Might however power one of the Return Pump Controllers the Blue One with the Speed Knob if it isn't plugged into the LOOP or Bluetooth Controller "But I DO NOT Know for Sure as I Don't own the ICECAP Battery Backup." Safest bet in this whole Scenario is to Just buy a Regular AC Battery Backup and Only have your eFLUX RETURN PUMPS AC/DC Plugin and maybe 1 or 2 eFlux Wavemakers AC/DC Plugins Plugged into the ICECAP Battery Backup and when the Power goes off turn them Down to about 20%. Remember this is only a Life Support to Keep both your Fish and Corals Alive with some Water Movement and Gas Exchange Not to Run a Display Tank with Lights and Lots of Flow. I FEEL Your PAIN, I am finding myself more and more LIMITED by Choosing Current USA who has great products, But they are limited to there Controllers and they haven't Built any Battery Backup for there own Product. Good Luck I Hope this Helps Someone make there choices easier.

Back