IceCap Gyre 2k

Shark.Bait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@corey01 , I have the same tank as you and was considering only using half of the gyre and capping the other side of it. I'd place it in between the two return nozzles. Would it fit in that space and provide enough flow? I'm wondering what your thoughts on that location are.

corey01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@corey01 , I have the same tank as you and was considering only using half of the gyre and capping the other side of it. I'd place it in between the two return nozzles. Would it fit in that space and provide enough flow? I'm wondering what your thoughts on that location are.
Sorry I didn't notice your post earlier. I haven't tried this. I may when I get home just to see and let you know what happens. but I somehow don't think it would be the very best flow. might end up blasting the front center of the tank and leaving the rest in very low flow.
like I said if I have time when I get home I will try this and let you know.

Esage

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put my 1k into my 20 gallon nuvo today. I have it on random flow maxing out at 100%. I already have better polyp extension then i had with my jabeo
You are able to run the pump at 100%? Are you keeping mostly SPS

jorahx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put my 1k into my 20 gallon nuvo today. I have it on random flow maxing out at 100%. I already have better polyp extension then i had with my jabeo

How do you have it at 100%?! In my nuvo 20 I have my icecap 1k at 10% and it’s still to strong and blew all the sand off one side of the tank.

macnets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you have it at 100%?! In my nuvo 20 I have my icecap 1k at 10% and it’s still to strong and blew all the sand off one side of the tank.

Is 10 percent the minimum? I’m trying to buy one for my nuvo 20 also but not if it’s too much flow

jorahx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is 10 percent the minimum? I’m trying to buy one for my nuvo 20 also but not if it’s too much flow

10% only works on one setting. All other settings require 20% and are way to strong for my tank.

macnets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10% only works on one setting. All other settings require 20% and are way to strong for my tank.

Have you tried removing one of the outlet things , maybe it will decrease the flow a bit

jorahx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried removing one of the outlet things , maybe it will decrease the flow a bit

Yes. That is how my currently is set up. One side capped off. And only the forward/reverse gyre setting works as low as 10%.

So I have it set up to do 2 at 10% and than 2 seconds at 0%. So I can get a pulsing type with lower flow. It seems to be working “fine” for the lps. But four inches of sand on the end of the tank is blown out. I tried placing a rock in the sands spot to try and slow down the flow.

Shark.Bait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sorry I didn't notice your post earlier. I haven't tried this. I may when I get home just to see and let you know what happens. but I somehow don't think it would be the very best flow. might end up blasting the front center of the tank and leaving the rest in very low flow.
like I said if I have time when I get home I will try this and let you know.

Sounds like you’re right. Ok thanks!

corey01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry @Shark.Bait I totally forgot about putting the gyre against the back wall. I didn't put it back there but I did measure it. my calipers put it ~ 5.3 inches and the space between the nozzles coming to about 6.1 so you have half an inch or so of clearance you could possibly play with but dont forget the holder for the gyre pushes it out from the back glass by quite a bit. and it could interfere with the flared stock return nozzles. I still say I don't see how this would be very good flow. but if you turned it all the way down and perhaps put 2 smaller powerheads. one on each side of it on the back wall I suppose you could create quite a flow throughout the tank. ATM I am trying really hard not to disturb the tank as my new acros are starting to encrust and I would prefer not to bother them.

Shark.Bait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sorry @Shark.Bait I totally forgot about putting the gyre against the back wall. I didn't put it back there but I did measure it. my calipers put it ~ 5.3 inches and the space between the nozzles coming to about 6.1 so you have half an inch or so of clearance you could possibly play with but dont forget the holder for the gyre pushes it out from the back glass by quite a bit. and it could interfere with the flared stock return nozzles. I still say I don't see how this would be very good flow. but if you turned it all the way down and perhaps put 2 smaller powerheads. one on each side of it on the back wall I suppose you could create quite a flow throughout the tank. ATM I am trying really hard not to disturb the tank as my new acros are starting to encrust and I would prefer not to bother them.

Awesome, thanks for looking into that for me

corey01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thanks for looking into that for me
pretty sure you understand but just mentioning that the 5.3 inches is only measuring from the far end of the motor to the end of 1 propeller blade. you had mentioned capping off the other propeller.
just in case anyone else comes along and is confused by the measurement.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back