Icecap Gyre 3k

Mikedawg8898

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys, I got an Icecap Gyre 3k headed my way on Thursday since one of my Jebao PP8s died and I’m getting tired of replacing it every 9 months or so. I read the Icecap can be noisy and it looks like it’s a 50/50 between whether it will make noise or not. So what can I do to ensure it stays as quiet as possible? Anyone have experience with the Icecap Gyre 3k?

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys, I got an Icecap Gyre 3k headed my way on Thursday since one of my Jebao PP8s died and I’m getting tired of replacing it every 9 months or so. I read the Icecap can be noisy and it looks like it’s a 50/50 between whether it will make noise or not. So what can I do to ensure it stays as quiet as possible? Anyone have experience with the Icecap Gyre 3k?
I love mine and can barely hear it. I just cleaned it a few hours ago for the first time since I got it maybe 5 or 6 months ago. I have a 55 gallon tank and I was running it at 40%, after cleaning it a had to turn it down to 10%. My lfs was running one in his 1200 gallon tank at 100% and it was almost knocking over corals 7 feet away with how much flow it produced.

For the price I really can't say enough good things about it, I think you made a good choice

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 1k and at 100% it was a little loud when it got dirty I now have 2 in the tank at 70% and very little noise

Len

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have the 3k in my 240 running at 100% and it was dead quiet for about 7 months. Then it started making a slight hmm noise. I cleaned it in vinegar etc sparkling clean and still had the noise. What actually makes the noise go away is not cleaning it actually. But there are four plastic bushings, when they wear out it makes the noise and it’s basicslly saying to change them out. It took me like five minutes to swap them out and it comes with an extra set. If you email them they will send another set out but their customer service is super friendly. They don’t really know their own product so don’t be disheartened when you actually know more about your gyre than they do. Also helpful hint none of them are consistent with the noise. Some are always silent some right off the get go, some like mine 7 months. Luck of the draw. But I can say my tank is 240 and it’s on the back wall. It definitely moves water but nothing that’s knocking corals off the rocks, unless it’s not glued down and not placed well. However it would be a mistake to place any corals super close to it. Not because it will knock them over but it will tear the flesh right off sps and lps really quick. I use alternate modes on mine for more random dead spot flow. Hopefully you get one with the newer controller, if yours doesn’t come with lcd controller make sure you call them. There is a huge difference and for example even my lfs who just had some come in came with the old black controller. So just a heads up but you should like it and I’d clean it when you see things growing on it. Mine sometimes takes forever, and for example I just cleaned it two months ago and it looks worse than when I cleaned it the first time in 7 months. But mine is still quiet after I swapped the bushings out. Also careful with the magnet on smaller tanks it is literally strong enough to break the glass if you let it slam against it when you install it and or clean etc. larger tanks like mine not so much but I still don’t suggest it. They are crazy strong.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two. Quiet to me. I'd buy again

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back