IceCap Salinity Digital Pocket Tester - Not my best purchase! 1.021

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up one of these CoralVue IceCap units mid April. Very excited on the release, my eyes have a hard time using refractometers and these look like a great way quickly test shipping bags and my pico without having a bright light and hopefully be more accurate than what I can see. The 1st round sold out so when the next batch came I eagerly bought one. I did see some spotty reviews but I was hoping it was just the 1st batch was iffy.

Got the device and all is good, checked it against my refractometer and matched the just calibrated refract. Using it once a week or so for a couple months and all is good. My current tank is a 3g pico reef. I decided for fun to make an aquaclear a70 filter into a chaeto fuge with a kessil h80 light, I also swapped out the impeller for the ac30 to slow it down.

When I did that swap I ended up draining some of the water from the system that I didn't expect and the ATO kicked on. Tested salinity and it was quite low around 1.020 but coral and clams looked fine and the nems and snails didn't seem to care, so no need to freak out, just slowly bring it back up.

Over next week or two when I would get up in the morning I would check salinity, add a couple cups of seawater and repeat the next day. No big deal. The salinity should slowly rise. This is my fault for not noticing more, but I kept adding the seawater and icecap said it was always low. I figured maybe I was having really low evaporation but didn't really think too much about it.

I noticed the coral not looking so hot. Bad things can happen fast in a pico, so went over the nutrient inputs, exports, blah blah blah. Then I thought, hmmmm, I have been adding a lot of salt, I wonder if the tester is wrong because it hasn't changed much. What made me notice it was making water for a 100% change, getting the salinity to 1.025 took a LOT of salt and it wouldn't clear up - if you ever pour too much salt in a bucket you know the look the water gets.

Got out the refractometer. 1.031 plus. Some coral had bleached, but my clam was ok which is my pico prize. Did a 100% water change and have done 100% change every other day for a couple days and now things have settled back down.

I have very old calibration solution, so I ordered some of TLF and here are the results of both. Not very pleased with my $80 tool used maybe a dozen times

s.jpg

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, I was under the impression the spoon was required because being a conductivity meter electrical signals in the tank will give errors, so you put the sample in the silicone cup to isolate the sample. What other purpose does the cup have? And why would the cup alter the readings?

I send that picture to coralvue last night and am waiting for a response.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked at the box mine came with, it specifically says to use the cup to eliminate interference. Right on the storage box.

Although the readings are no different not using the cup.

Be sure to keep an eye on the readings, mine were spot on at 1st too.

Tompickles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also got one of these about two weeks ago and it doesn’t come with the cup anymore and says nothing about it in the directions.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, ok they don't come with the cup anymore and changed the directions.

I think this cup/no cup might be distracting from the issue. It still has no bearing of the reading being drastically off. If anything using the cup should improve performance but they must have either found it not needed, or wanted to save cost.

I am pretty sure the 1st batch didn't come with a cup either, but not 100% on it.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't this essentially an EC meter (e.g. my Hanna DiST 4) that has been calibrated in s.g. units?

I'm not sure, but it seems like this ought to have the same strengths and weaknesses as one. I'd hope losing calibration is a simple defect.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked at the box mine came with, it specifically says to use the cup to eliminate interference. Right on the storage box.

Although the readings are no different not using the cup.

Be sure to keep an eye on the readings, mine were spot on at 1st too.

That is why I've stayed away from it. Seems Icecap doesn't even know how to use the product correctly. I've read several reviews where they were getting readings matching their refractometer when using the cup but didn't when not using it. Maybe version 2 will be a better product.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't this essentially an EC meter (e.g. my Hanna DiST 4) that has been calibrated in s.g. units?

I'm not sure, but it seems like this ought to have the same strengths and weaknesses as one. I'd hope losing calibration is a simple defect.

Yep, they are EC meters, however there is no user available calibration. I did read a post about a hidden screen one can get to that was directed by support at coral vue, but that is sure not in my directions nor is any reference to calibration or any menu on the device.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is why I've stayed away from it. Seems Icecap doesn't even know how to use the product correctly. I've read several reviews where they were getting readings matching their refractometer when using the cup but didn't when not using it. Maybe version 2 will be a better product.

I had high hopes, but there clearly needs to be some sort of refinement. If they had calibration and said it was required that would go a long ways, unless the new ones have a calibration menu.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Response from icecap:

Please throw that small cup away or at best do not use it as we have determined that the cup is too Small and actually caused interference with the conductivity rings on the end of the probe.
Use the pen without the cup, Stick it straight into the tank ensuring that it remains @ 1'' under the water surface, away from any running electrical equipment and at least 2 inches away from tank glass.
If your tank is properly grounded the results should be spot on with the known tolerance from manufacture. If suspect electrical interference use a measuring cup to scoop tank water out of system and re check again ensuring the pen stays at least one inch away from any surfaces to reduce interference.

Same goes for checking the calibration with solution, If using a small container to dip the pen in it can cause interference in reading the solution.
Each time the pen goes off it should reset itself and you can check this by dipping in RODI water and getting the pen to read 1.000

And here is what I sent back:

In my dark brute ro/di:
B267C7AC-C1A8-4397-83FE-48AD1A14602A.jpeg

And in my tank, matches the calibration solution of 1.026.

5D27B0D6-E733-40DE-9E61-630F5FC37C67.jpeg

In line with the cup and the off reading with calibration solutions. I suspect they will replace it after these pics, but what concerns me is that this worked well and then suddenly gave errors.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So I picked up one of these CoralVue IceCap units mid April. Very excited on the release, my eyes have a hard time using refractometers and these look like a great way quickly test shipping bags and my pico without having a bright light and hopefully be more accurate than what I can see. The 1st round sold out so when the next batch came I eagerly bought one. I did see some spotty reviews but I was hoping it was just the 1st batch was iffy.

Got the device and all is good, checked it against my refractometer and matched the just calibrated refract. Using it once a week or so for a couple months and all is good. My current tank is a 3g pico reef. I decided for fun to make an aquaclear a70 filter into a chaeto fuge with a kessil h80 light, I also swapped out the impeller for the ac30 to slow it down.

When I did that swap I ended up draining some of the water from the system that I didn't expect and the ATO kicked on. Tested salinity and it was quite low around 1.020 but coral and clams looked fine and the nems and snails didn't seem to care, so no need to freak out, just slowly bring it back up.

Over next week or two when I would get up in the morning I would check salinity, add a couple cups of seawater and repeat the next day. No big deal. The salinity should slowly rise. This is my fault for not noticing more, but I kept adding the seawater and icecap said it was always low. I figured maybe I was having really low evaporation but didn't really think too much about it.

I noticed the coral not looking so hot. Bad things can happen fast in a pico, so went over the nutrient inputs, exports, blah blah blah. Then I thought, hmmmm, I have been adding a lot of salt, I wonder if the tester is wrong because it hasn't changed much. What made me notice it was making water for a 100% change, getting the salinity to 1.025 took a LOT of salt and it wouldn't clear up - if you ever pour too much salt in a bucket you know the look the water gets.

Got out the refractometer. 1.031 plus. Some coral had bleached, but my clam was ok which is my pico prize. Did a 100% water change and have done 100% change every other day for a couple days and now things have settled back down.

I have very old calibration solution, so I ordered some of TLF and here are the results of both. Not very pleased with my $80 tool used maybe a dozen times

s.jpg
Hey, it is an iffy device, the degree of accuracy had a pretty broad spred to rely on it alone. Me and my buddy bought one just for the fact of quick checking new coral/fish addition bags and fresh saltwater.

Right out of the box this weekend, the spoon readings were way to low when they should've I've been. It's funny to see you guys talking about this now, because I knew something was up.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The specs are really quite good, 0.001 accuracy which is better than the Milwaukee digital refractometer, but clearly the specs are off. Haha. Wait it was $80, not funny!

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please do the following which resets your pen:

With the pen off, click on the power button 7 times quickly. It will turn on and then keep pressing for a total of 7 times until you see the screen show -C-5. (It is a little tricky and it make take you a few tries.)
Once you see the right screen, you are in setup mode. Now press and release until you see INIT. When you see that now press and hold the power button for a few seconds until you see -OH- and then right back to -C-5. At that point, the pen is reset to default values. Now you will need to remove the battery end cap and install it again to reboot the pen.

Go ahead and test your water again and let me know.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the above and calibration solution reads 1.023 or bit under 30ppt, so it was closer but still a long ways off. Awaiting their reply.

GrouperStupor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's still en-route. I'm sure it will be correct to begin with like the 1st one. Not going to trust it at my mixing station anymore. Only for checking tanks.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 88 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back