OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yay! The calibration worked. I had to do it a couple times for the reading to stick, not sure why. Seemed like I needed to shut it off while still in the solution vs the video turning it off when it was out, but I don't know for sure. But it's all good and happy they have that option built in, I was just going to toss it since this was number 2 and customer service didn't say anything about calibration and the reset didn't work again.

I highly recommend having a bottle of something like AccuraSea from TFL to use before each reading, you can put the checker right in it and while it's not a full inch away from the sides, you can still see if the results are reasonable or if you need to recalibrate. I don't mind doing that extra step and it's still fast to do before a reading.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the same Icap thing via Aamazon.
Used it 3 times carefully, 1" in the water, straight in the tank.
4th use, the display turns all signs except a clear reading.
Turns out water entered the thingthrough the seal at the tip...
Worst $ ever spent.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just making a bucket of salt so I thought it was a good time to update.

I flat out don't use the pen at all. I don't even think about using it because it's always off and needs recalibration and the other option is to use the refractometer that has been spot on for years. I just can't trust the pen without grabbing the standard 1st and it's just another step up I don't need to do when making up water particularly when testing the initial salt (calibrate and test) ok add some more salt, do I trust the pen? No. Recalibrate and test. Repeat. Then let the mix sit a couple hours. I test again to double check, before adding to tank - so recalibrate.

Na. Stick with the refractometer.

It's been quite a while since I feel that I totally wasted money in this hobby, but sadly this is one of those times.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump for update. Messed around with it again today.

Couldn’t get it to match with a standard. Went in the trash. Ordered the Hanna salinity device. Hoping to not waste money on it like this icecap!

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I would have liked it too if mine worked! Glad it’s been solid,it would have been fantastic little device. Hopefully mine was just a fluke.

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
been using mine since it tested the same as milwakee for a few months. Within the last week, I decided to check again after an ICP report came back high, and the pen was reading 1.026, Milwaukee now 1.029.....guess it's time to toss it, especially since you can't calibrate it.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 78.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back