Icecap skimmer leaking drain

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a CoralVue IceCap K2 skimmer. It has what appears to be a 90° John guest connector at the bottom of the cup that connects to a hose for an external skimmate container. This connector has started leaking and unfortunately, it appears they glued it into the bottom of the cup instead of screaming it in, so I can’t just swap it out. Any suggestions for fixing it aside from gooping a bunch of silicone on it?

also, does CoralVue not have a vendor page on Reef2Reef?

7493531E-09C0-4BB6-B7A8-88CDD1C8F3C6.jpeg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use some pvc glue around the outside bottom of the cup @ the leaky seam. just clean it up first and make sure its dry.
Ive sealed small leaks like this before and it wont peel away like silicone.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alternatively, if its leaking from the Oring side, youll need to remove the push clip and use a small flathead to remove the oring and relube it with some silicone grease.

OP
OP
Sleepydoc

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alternatively, if its leaking from the Oring side, youll need to remove the push clip and use a small flathead to remove the oring and relube it with some silicone grease.
Thanks for the suggestion. That’s where it’s leaking from - I tried reseating it with some additional silicone grease and it’s still leaking, so it looks like I’m stuck with silicone or some gorilla tape.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove the plastic push retainer, dig out the oring and clean it. Relube with grease and reinstall. After that if it doesnt seal try replacing the oring.

OP
OP
Sleepydoc

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove the plastic push retainer, dig out the oring and clean it. Relube with grease and reinstall. After that if it doesnt seal try replacing the oring.
FIxed it!

Actually, when I had it apart to clean it, I realized that the tubing wasn’t seating completely. Coralvue had a short piece of ⅜” tubing used as a connector of sorts - One end went in the john guest fitting and the longer silicone tubing slips over the other end. It seems the silicone tubing had worked its way forward so there wasn’t enough of the ⅜” tubing protruding out to fully seat in the fiitting.

Thanks for your help!

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FIxed it!

Actually, when I had it apart to clean it, I realized that the tubing wasn’t seating completely. Coralvue had a short piece of ⅜” tubing used as a connector of sorts - One end went in the john guest fitting and the longer silicone tubing slips over the other end. It seems the silicone tubing had worked its way forward so there wasn’t enough of the ⅜” tubing protruding out to fully seat in the fiitting.

Thanks for your help!
Glad you figured it out!
Sweet success!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back