Ich Confirmation Test?

PGT253

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. As title said, is there any solid way/test to tell if my tank is infested with ich or not?

Background: My DT had an ich outbreak before, I left tank fallow for 77 days but did add corals frags & snails (from multiple sources, no qt) in between. All fish (a pair of clown, potters angel, and melanurus wrasse) had been through TTM/Prazipro followed by an observation period in QT while the tank in fallow, no signs of disease observed. After the fallow period, I re-introduced the fish back to the DT. About 2 weeks ago, I saw one of my clown scratched its head/mouth against rock and a few days later I saw the potter's angel did the same thing. I did spot one or two very fine/tiny flat white dots on the angel and one raised white spot on the clownfish's anal fin. Those spot cleared up in a day and that's pretty much of the scratching/flashing/white spots I have witnessed so far, I have yet to see any since. I'd love to know if there's a way to tell for sure if ich is still lurking around before adding more fish into the DT.

Btw, last week my angel had a whitish/brownish stingy poop and today my clown had a white stingy thing too (but the angel ate it when the clownfish finished her business so I'm not sure if it's poop or not). I really hope I'm overthinking.

Thank you.

justinm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throw a black mollie in there. Being a brackish fish, they have no saltwater immunities and if ich is present, it will show right up.

As for the white, stringy poop, 1 scoop of metro, 1 scoop of focus and 1 cube of frozen will treat that. Feed for 10 days and you should be good. I have treated successfully in a sps tank with no issues.

OP
OP
P

PGT253

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Do I need to worry about the molly carrying parasite/disease and bring it to my DT?

justinm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, FW parasites will die in SW. Mollies do need acclimated slowly to SW though, can’t literally throw them in. Black mollies just work better because white spots will easily be seen.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back