Ich confirmation? w/ pics Black axil Chromis

Reef Recked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have 3 black axil chromis in a QT tank and they all appear to have these white spots on their heads, im thinking it is ick but i have zero experience with fish disease and treatment so would like to make sure thats what it is, im thinking it is either that or scarring from them nipping at eachother but i would imagine that would be more on the fins? I originally had 5, 1 was beaten up until he died, and one just died a day after i got him. Also had 2 show up DOA. but these 3 have been in QT about 3 weeks or so.

Im not the most experienced reefer but i dont believe their behavior is abnormal, they havent been the easiest eaters so have been feeding a combination of pellets, frozen, and live brine shrimp.

I have ordered API Super ich cure just in case that is what it is?

please let me know if you guys need anymore info.

IMG_8834.jpg IMG_6750.jpg IMG_4586.jpg IMG_3063.jpg IMG_2459.jpg

Alex C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly that doesn’t look like marine ich to me. If you do decide to treat copper is really the only sure fire way other than the tank transfer method. Warning copper is not reef safe.

OP
OP
Reef Recked

Reef Recked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya i didnt think it really did either i just have no idea what else it would be.

Any ideas? or should i just try copper and see if it helps?

they are in a quarantine tank so copper shouldnt be a problem

Alex C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treat everything with copper before I bring it to the display tank but Perhaps @Humblefish would know what the issue is specifically.

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have anything like Ruby Red, Beta Glucan, Genral Cure or any of these:

If so, I would also dose that and if you really want to spoil your fish lastly I would give them a Bath in Methylene Blue.

Oh also, I suggest always dosing or medicating in a Quarantine Tank when possible!

Hope this helps...

OP
OP
Reef Recked

Reef Recked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have close up pics?

Agree it doesn’t look like ich, could be flukes or even bacterial or an injury...

those are the best i could get, these fish are so fast and never stop moving lol!
I will try and take some better ones tonight!

Do you have anything like Ruby Red, Beta Glucan, Genral Cure or any of these:

If so, I would also dose that and if you really want to spoil your fish lastly I would give them a Bath in Methylene Blue.

Oh also, I suggest always dosing or medicating in a Quarantine Tank when possible!

Hope this helps...

I dont have any of those but i can run to pet supermarket and grab some if they have them in stock.

Any recommendations on which one exactly or should i grab all of them?

so ill grab some copper, and ruby red or genral cure etc, and methyl blue and dose all 3 and see if that does anything? is that my best course of action?

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so ill grab some copper, and ruby red or genral cure etc, and methyl blue and dose all 3 and see if that does anything? is that my best course of action?

Copper, Ruby Red & Methyl Blue treat the outside of the fish.. (Even a Freshwater Dip if its Flukes) The API General Cure, Beta Glucan (Might find this at a Health Store) or the Furan-2 + Seachem Kanaplex + Metroplex Combo will help the insides of the fish.

If you get them all you should be pretty covered!! But it may cost you a few bucks :oops:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 116 74.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back