Ich help

Scubaguy10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a maroon clown from one the my LFS’s that I had never been to before due to my regular one that I use being out of stock. I have never had an issue with any livestock from my regular LFS and they have always been healthy. This new one is bigger and their livestock looked ok. I brought the clown home acclimated it and added it. Boom... 2 days later it has clear signs of ich. Now I have lost it and 2 tangs to ich. I know I should do a water change and treat the water but I have reef in it that will not respond well to copper. I have 1 maroon clown a goby and a SFE left and don’t want them to get it. I could use some advice on the best way to treat this. All my inverts are snails as well and I have A LOT and can not reliably remove them. Thanks!

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are going to need a hospital tank and leave the existing reef tank fallow. I would get some copper power, Hanna High range copper tester, biospira, seachem ammonia badge and start reading. Good luck.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a maroon clown from one the my LFS’s that I had never been to before due to my regular one that I use being out of stock. I have never had an issue with any livestock from my regular LFS and they have always been healthy. This new one is bigger and their livestock looked ok. I brought the clown home acclimated it and added it. Boom... 2 days later it has clear signs of ich. Now I have lost it and 2 tangs to ich. I know I should do a water change and treat the water but I have reef in it that will not respond well to copper. I have 1 maroon clown a goby and a SFE left and don’t want them to get it. I could use some advice on the best way to treat this. All my inverts are snails as well and I have A LOT and can not reliably remove them. Thanks!

It wasn't clear to me - the maroon showed ich after two days, but how long after that did you start to lose fish? Also, did I read that you have/had two maroon clowns in the tank? I've never had that work out unless they were a bonded pair - could there have been fighting/stress? I agree with the advice from dwest... but it isn't going to be an easy task, once the infection reaches the point of fish loss, it is very difficult to get things turned around fast enough to avoid losing additional fish.

Jay

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 160 43.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 126 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 55 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 19 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back