Ich - How To Tear Down Tank (Removing Fish)

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've moved 5 out of 6 fish to my QT tank and started dosing copper. My 6th fish refuses to be baited by my traps (Randall Goby) and I'm at a lose on how to get it out.

Unless someone can give another suggestion, I'm going to have to take down my entire rock structure to remove this fish. My rock/coral situation:

- Coral is glued to the rock
- Some top rock pieces are glued together for stability
- I keep a mix of Acropora/seriatopora/stylopora/LPS

How do I safety break down my tank to remove this fish, but keep my coral alive?

IMG_20180531_192527_88.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'd be a pain in the rear end, but could you drain the water into a tub, so you take away his room to swim around and catch him with a net better? And when you're done pump the water back into the tank

OP
OP
Aaron-A2

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'd be a pain in the rear end, but could you drain the water into a tub, so you take away his room to swim around and catch him with a net better? And when you're done pump the water back into the tank?

I don't think I have enough tubs/garbage cans to hold the water in my tank all at once XD ! This guy likes to hide though, so I think even if I could, he would be under the rock somewhere.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've moved 5 out of 6 fish to my QT tank and started dosing copper. My 6th fish refuses to be baited by my traps (Randall Goby) and I'm at a lose on how to get it out.

Unless someone can give another suggestion, I'm going to have to take down my entire rock structure to remove this fish. My rock/coral situation:

How do I safety break down my tank to remove this fish, but keep my coral alive?

Ugh... that is a challenge. :(

I've seen it done a few ways, and with your layout you may need a combination of the two. I would get a 40g plastic storage tote. Do a 20 to 30 gallon water change putting the old tank water into the tote. Try to split the tank in half with a divider small enough that he can't get through. Egg crate is likely too big unless he is a very large Goby. Maybe some screen material. Move the rocks on the side he is trapped on either into the other side of the tank or the freshly filled storage tote as you have room.

OP
OP
Aaron-A2

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh... that is a challenge. :(

I've seen it done a few ways, and with your layout you may need a combination of the two. I would get a 40g plastic storage tote. Do a 20 to 30 gallon water change putting the old tank water into the tote. Try to split the tank in half with a divider small enough that he can't get through. Egg crate is likely too big unless he is a very large Goby. Maybe some screen material. Move the rocks on the side he is trapped on either into the other side of the tank or the freshly filled storage tote as you have room.

As you and @cracker suggested, that's a great idea. Unfortunately, I believe he's in the right most section which is not only the largest section but has no clear division for egg crate / dividers. Once I find out where he is, I'll consider that idea. ((Last night I tried getting him out and he spooked out of his normal spot))

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gotta move the rock to make a path. This is not going to be easy. I tank drain for a real small fish, it's libel to hide in a rock then loose the water he's in.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you and @cracker suggested, that's a great idea. Unfortunately, I believe he's in the right most section which is not only the largest section but has no clear division for egg crate / dividers. Once I find out where he is, I'll consider that idea. ((Last night I tried getting him out and he spooked out of his normal spot))
You may be able to catch him with the tank dark and working with a red flash light and this.
https://www.amazon.com/Pen-Plax-QNR...8379678&sr=8-2&keywords=red+aquarium+net&th=1

If you find where he is, but the net in the sand as slowly as you can around 6" in front of him. Then try to spook him into the net. I've had mixed success with this and it works better with fish that say on the bottom than ones that swim all over.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had this to do recently, I drained some water into tubs, barrels and bins, then removed all rock and coral to those tubs (along with a powerhead for movement). The fish, in a now empty tank, were mostly easy to catch - save for a midas blenny, who slipped into a Pukani rock, and remained there for well over 24 hours.

~Bruce

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

You won’t want to hear this but keep it up with the trap. It took 2 weeks of frustration to catch a lemon peel angel. Build rocks or something around the trap outside to camouflage it somwqhat

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont feed fish for day or two and then try the trap. It worked for me 100%

Agreed. A hungrier fish will be more desperate. Also what kind of trap are you using (ie DIY or one that you bought).

OP
OP
Aaron-A2

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@reeflover2 - I didn't feed for like 3-4 days, and it still wouldn't work. He would only go to the front of the trap, never deep inside. He would only grab pieces near the entrance, and that's it.

@Jesterrace - It's a purchased acrylic trap. Worked great on 5 of 6 fish.

OP
OP
Aaron-A2

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try sea weed and keep it at end of trap. You should let fish go in before releasing fishing line .

I left it in the tank and fed from it exclusively for a week before trying to trap with it.

OP
OP
Aaron-A2

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try old method, get hook and bait and go fishing lol

lol, my gf suggested that. I'd feel terrible :/

I've got 2 friends coming over tonight to help break down the rock structure. My current plan:

Purchases:
- 2 plastic totes (Hold coral)
- Extendable squeegee tool (Push sand)

Plan:
Stage 1: Breakdown

0) Take CURRENT picture of setup
1) Pump water from tank into totes
2) Add heater to totes
3) Remove rock with coral and place into totes
4) Remove rock without coral and place on top of cardboard boxes
5) Capture/remove the fish

Stage 2: Reconstruction
1) Use Squeegee tool to push sand to one side of tank
2) Replace base rock
3) Replace coral rock

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 75 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back