Ich in display

Trenton0115

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have discovered one of my tangs has ich and I now believe my Coral beauty, & Flame fin tang are developing it as well.. My tank is over 120g, has tons of rock and lots of fish, so I’m really at a complete stand still on what to do. I’ve tried catching my tangs, and it’s just literally not possible. If I get a trap and try to catch them, it will take days/weeks to get them all. Am I going to have to basically break the tank down in order to catch these guys? It’s also a pretty heavily planted reef tank, so treating with corals isn’t really an option. Seems like my options are start taking rock & water out to catch, or let it be and hope for the best. I can’t watch my fish, some that I’ve had for years, slowly suffer though. Any advice on what to do and make this process a little less stressful

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not a popular opinion but I have ich in my tank and when I introduce new fish, they get a little ichy for a while. So I always treat with Polyplab Reef medic. It only works if it’s a mild case though. After a few weeks, the fish are fine. I also run a UV 24/7.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well ich treatment is the preferred method which involves removing all fist from the tank and treating with copper in QT for 30 days. Tank needs to fallow for 45 to 76 days. Alternative method is ich management and there are various threads describing some of the methods for this but certainly not a cure.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is difficult - but not impossible - and I remember having needed to do it - but - some tanks are more difficult to disassemble than others!! - How about you post some pictures - so we can see the fish - determining hopefully that perhaps its not ich.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have discovered one of my tangs has ich and I now believe my Coral beauty, & Flame fin tang are developing it as well.. My tank is over 120g, has tons of rock and lots of fish, so I’m really at a complete stand still on what to do. I’ve tried catching my tangs, and it’s just literally not possible. If I get a trap and try to catch them, it will take days/weeks to get them all. Am I going to have to basically break the tank down in order to catch these guys? It’s also a pretty heavily planted reef tank, so treating with corals isn’t really an option. Seems like my options are start taking rock & water out to catch, or let it be and hope for the best. I can’t watch my fish, some that I’ve had for years, slowly suffer though. Any advice on what to do and make this process a little less stressful
How are you certain that it is ich?

Have you introduced a new fish without quarantine?

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I get a trap and try to catch them, it will take days/weeks to get them all.
It might take a few days. Maybe even a week or two, but at least you won’t have to break down the aquarium. :)

I swear by my Bubble Magus Fish Trap. I can catch most of my fish in one day. Once they learn the food is inside it’s over. :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Please post pics of fish with ich in question and for confirmation of it being ich.
Are those fish breathing normal or labored?

OP
OP
T

Trenton0115

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is difficult - but not impossible - and I remember having needed to do it - but - some tanks are more difficult to disassemble than others!! - How about you post some pictures - so we can see the fish - determining hopefully that perhaps its not ich.

These are my two current best pictures. Will update in morning of tank and fish with white light!

IMG_2871.jpeg IMG_2870.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Trenton0115

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please post pics of fish with ich in question and for confirmation of it being ich.
Are those fish breathing normal or labored?
Hello, should be some posted in the thread now.. Going to get better ones this morning of the entire tank, and fish with better lighting and quality

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Additional pictures with white light will be very helpful. Unfortunately, the two pics you've shared do suggest ich is the culprit. More pics will help confirm.

As others have indicated, no reef safe treatment in a display tank is available. Traps can work, but are admittedly difficult to use. I have been successful using plastic netting like the material used to build tank top screens to narrow down the swim area available for the fish both vertically and horizontally. Eventually, the area open for the fish to swim in is smaller and using nets or traps gets a bit easier.

the link below describes the treatment process in detail.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have seen this, but here is a post I made on “ich management” for when you absolutely cannot move the fish to treat them. It doesn’t always work, and you need to follow all of the methods at once:

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
These are my two current best pictures. Will update in morning of tank and fish with white light!

IMG_2871.jpeg IMG_2870.jpeg
Pics are dark and best under white light intensity
May be a fin ray issue and ich management is a short cut process which rarely if ever is effective and allows a given disease to overtake a fish causing you to lose valuable time with effective treatment and effective protocols

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 80 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 82 46.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.0%
Back