Ich in DT, pls help

I’ma tempermental coral

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tang is 2” at best and the puffer is a saddle valentini and on the smaller side
@MERKEY had the right idea then 2 twenty Longs should be enough. If you are worried about the tang in that for an extended time. A 40 breeder qt is easy to acquire and set up.

I’ma tempermental coral

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank gets fed a variety of pellets, frozen spirulina baby shrimps, dried purple seaweed and has a copepod colony. They seem to just stick to the copepods and occasionally the frozen shrimps
The pods won’t survive the copper so see if you can get them to rely more on feeding. Maybe selcon soak some pellets and brine or mysis.

OP
OP
itselenababe

itselenababe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It there a big difference in keeping them in separate tanks or not during quarantine?

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It there a big difference in keeping them in separate tanks or not during quarantine?
The problem is damsels get mean when they are all together in a small tank. If you can only do 1 tank get a 40g breeder for them.

We have 2 pairs of manderins in 2 different tanks and have Quarentined both pairs and got them taught on frozen while in quarentine....not in copper tho. Manderins don't do well with copper.

Without pods you will have to WAY over feed so food makes it to the bottom for them with no power heads or water movement.

Then after they graze for 30 minutes or so suck the left over food out and you can turn the power heads back on.

You will have to be on top of water changes daily or at least every other day.

When you change water the new salt water needs to match the copper level in your Quarentine tank. Any drop in copper will allow parasites to get healthier.

Last edited:

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pain is those Mandarins, you'll likely need to culture or buy pods for them even if they eat some frozen. They also react poor to copper, I personally ttm mandarins and other sensitive fish, for mandarins specificly I set up 14 five gallon buckets with saltwater and a pod cultures with 14 heaters and air stones and move them from one bucket to the next daily. When their done they go in a holding tank, the other fish can join them when copper treatment is done and after fallow all the fish can go back to the DT. There's other ways to ttm, that's just how I do it.

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank gets fed a variety of pellets, frozen spirulina baby shrimps, dried purple seaweed and has a copepod colony. They seem to just stick to the copepods and occasionally the frozen shrimps
Mandarins have a very thick coat. I had an outbreak a year ago. Lost 4 fish and saved 4 fish. Sucked but have always QT new fish and dipped corals that can tolerate it.

Never moved the mandarin. Still fat and happy. Have lots of pods in reef plus have seen the mandarin eat a few mysis shrimp.

OP
OP
itselenababe

itselenababe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pain is those Mandarins, you'll likely need to culture or buy pods for them even if they eat some frozen. They also react poor to copper, I personally ttm mandarins and other sensitive fish, for mandarins specificly I set up 14 five gallon buckets with saltwater and a pod cultures with 14 heaters and air stones and move them from one bucket to the next daily. When their done they go in a holding tank, the other fish can join them when copper treatment is done and after fallow all the fish can go back to the DT. There's other ways to ttm, that's just how I do it.
[/QUOTE

The treatment I have is 1.3mg benzaldehyde green and 1% PVP per 5ml, is that ok for them??

OP
OP
itselenababe

itselenababe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is damsels get mean when they are all together in a small tank. If you can only do 1 tank get a 40g breeder for them.

We have 2 pairs of manderins in 2 different tanks and have Quarentined both pairs and got them taught on frozen while in quarentine....not in copper tho. Manderins don't do well with copper.

Without pods you will have to WAY over feed so food makes it to the bottom for them with no power heads or water movement.

Then after they graze for 30 minutes or so suck the left over food out and you can turn the power heads back on.

You will have to be on top of water changes daily or at least every other day.

When you change water the new salt water needs to match the copper level in your Quarentine tank. Any drop in copper will allow parasites to get healthier.

The treatment I have is 1.3mg benzaldehyde green and 1% PVP per 5ml. I have no idea what that even means but I don’t think it contains copper?

OP
OP
itselenababe

itselenababe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: one qt is doing amazingly (2 clowns & Talbots damsel) BUT the other qt (puffer, Dory, 2 mandarins and the black damsel) is doing TERRIBLY.

At first they were doing great but now today they are looking worse than ever. I don’t know what to do or why they got worse all of a sudden. I did a water change (about 20%) yesterday cause the ammonia got a bit high but I thought it would help?? I’m so confused and feel horrible that our poor fish aren’t getting better

The blue tang now has something on one of her fins as well. It kind of looks like a tiny bubble crossed with a blister you would get if you burned yourself? Her and the damsel have been scratching on a rock decor a lot today

I think the mandarin just has white patches from taking a nap but I added a pic incase

231154B7-9B7E-4BFC-895E-C10EFAE92EDE.jpeg 72E4D11A-C0A4-4389-8F5D-6E56107C63FF.jpeg 21D047DB-7C6D-462E-821F-7D5C578AC5A3.png 0CF221E6-589D-4476-9AA9-D08FD3DF94E1.png

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%

Back