Ich on long nose butterfly??

California_dogs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. So I got this butterfly about 3 weeks ago and about a week ago(ish) he stopped eating( that I know of). Surprisingly he is still alive. When he stopped eating he wasn’t showing any signs of disease, but today I noticed he has these white spots all over his fins. He is in my display tank currently. Is this ich or velvet? And if so what would you recommend as a treatment plan. No other fish are showing any sign of illness. I have a fish only tank with live rocks( minus a shrimp, a few hermit crabs and some snails).
Thanks.
IMG_1207.jpeg
IMG_1204.jpeg IMG_1208.jpeg

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. So I got this butterfly about 3 weeks ago and about a week ago(ish) he stopped eating( that I know of). Surprisingly he is still alive. When he stopped eating he wasn’t showing any signs of disease, but today I noticed he has these white spots all over his fins. He is in my display tank currently. Is this ich or velvet? And if so what would you recommend as a treatment plan. No other fish are showing any sign of illness. I have a fish only tank with live rocks( minus a shrimp, a few hermit crabs and some snails).
Thanks.
IMG_1207.jpeg
I know when freshwater when I get it I crank up the temperature in the tank, and that speeds up the lifecycle of the parasite ick Speeding it up so much that they can’t reproduce fast enough and die off

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.
IMG_1207.jpeg
That looks like marine ich. Is the fish breathing really fast? If so, it may be combined with velvet.
Here is the thing - ich doesn’t cause a fish to stop eating until towards the end of the infection. Your fish stopped eating before you even really saw spots. That means that there are two problems here.
Do you have a treatment tank where you can use copper?
Can you post a video of the fish so I can check it’s breathing?

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know when freshwater when I get it I crank up the temperature in the tank, and that speeds up the lifecycle of the parasite ick Speeding it up so much that they can’t reproduce fast enough and die off
Just an FYI - that only works for freshwater ich, marine ich is a different species. Raising the temperature for marine ich or velvet actually makes the infection worse.

OP
OP
C

California_dogs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a video. I can set up a treatment tank, but at this point would I need to treat my other fish?( two clownfish and a royal gramma)

Attachments

• IMG_1212.mov
    32.6 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a video. I can set up a treatment tank, but at this point would I need to treat my other fish?( two clownfish and a royal gramma)

That still does look like ich to me, but it also seems to be breathing fast. Yes, once it has been in your display, all fish in that tank are at risk, and may need to be treated. You could start by pulling this fish and starting treatment, and then, if it spreads to your other fish, you'll need to pull and treat them also.

Jay

OP
OP
C

California_dogs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That still does look like ich to me, but it also seems to be breathing fast. Yes, once it has been in your display, all fish in that tank are at risk, and may need to be treated. You could start by pulling this fish and starting treatment, and then, if it spreads to your other fish, you'll need to pull and treat them also.

Jay
Okay thank you! I have moved it to a separate tank and will start treatment today!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back