Ich or Lympho on FoxFace? Wish were QT for 51 days.

Hyphnx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DT was fishless for 51 days. ALL fish were in 2.10 Copper for the entire time. Foxface and Tang were in observation for two weeks. Never noticed any spots or anything on the Foxface in treatment.

Noticed what I am almost positive as Lympho on the tail and fin of the FoxFace. It is more of an orange color and looks like a cotton ball off the tail fin. Fish is acting fine, eating and grazing. I only noticed the spots after it was put into the display tank. No other fish is showing symptoms. The dots seem to only be on one side. It is a bicolor so the black does help show them more than usual.

IMG_0741.jpeg IMG_0740.jpeg IMG_0739.jpeg IMG_0738.jpeg IMG_0736.jpeg IMG_0733.jpeg IMG_0735.jpeg IMG_0734.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
DT was fishless for 51 days. ALL fish were in 2.10 Copper for the entire time. Foxface and Tang were in observation for two weeks. Never noticed any spots or anything on the Foxface in treatment.

Noticed what I am almost positive as Lympho on the tail and fin of the FoxFace. It is more of an orange color and looks like a cotton ball off the tail fin. Fish is acting fine, eating and grazing. I only noticed the spots after it was put into the display tank. No other fish is showing symptoms. The dots seem to only be on one side. It is a bicolor so the black does help show them more than usual.

IMG_0741.jpeg IMG_0740.jpeg IMG_0739.jpeg IMG_0738.jpeg IMG_0736.jpeg IMG_0733.jpeg IMG_0735.jpeg IMG_0734.jpeg
I see signs of cryptocaryon which is marine ich and would recommend treatment in a quarantine tanl. As of late, many are asking about reef safe treatments - They rarely work. Recommended is using either coppersafe or Copper power
at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
If you dont have a QT tank, it can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

OP
OP
Hyphnx

Hyphnx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see signs of cryptocaryon which is marine ich and would recommend treatment in a quarantine tanl. As of late, many are asking about reef safe treatments - They rarely work. Recommended is using either coppersafe or Copper power
at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
If you dont have a QT tank, it can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.
I just did 7 weeks fishless at 84F. All fish went through a 30 day copper power treatment and then a 3 week observation period. The tail spot was noticeable in the Foxface during treatment which is my reasoning thought on Lympho. It never dipped below 2.10. I stirred and siphoned the sand prior to adding the fish back. Tanks are in separate rooms and I have a set of gloves I used for the QT and DT whenever I had to put my hand in the tank. Each has their own set of equipment so nothing was shared.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I just did 7 weeks fishless at 84F. All fish went through a 30 day copper power treatment and then a 3 week observation period. The tail spot was noticeable in the Foxface during treatment which is my reasoning thought on Lympho. It never dipped below 2.10. I stirred and siphoned the sand prior to adding the fish back. Tanks are in separate rooms and I have a set of gloves I used for the QT and DT whenever I had to put my hand in the tank. Each has their own set of equipment so nothing was shared.
Are you saying copper was around 2.1 treatment level?

OP
OP
Hyphnx

Hyphnx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you saying copper was around 2.1 treatment level?
Yes, also the QT was setup brand new and sterile before I added the copper. I had to lower it from 2.5 because the yellow corris wrasse was intolerant of the higher levels but kept it above 2.0 during the whole time. The tang and foxface were in treatment for about 45 days. So a little over 30 days but were kept in an observation prior to being added.

All the dots on the foxface are a greyish/orange color and protrude from the fins. Like small irregular ball of cotton.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yes, also the QT was setup brand new and sterile before I added the copper. I had to lower it from 2.5 because the yellow corris wrasse was intolerant of the higher levels but kept it above 2.0 during the whole time. The tang and foxface were in treatment for about 45 days. So a little over 30 days but were kept in an observation prior to being added.

All the dots on the foxface are a greyish/orange color and protrude from the fins. Like small irregular ball of cotton.
The level is a little low and may have not eliminated the parasite in whole despite the extended treatment period

OP
OP
Hyphnx

Hyphnx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The level is a little low and may have not eliminated the parasite in whole despite the extended treatment period
I thought anywhere from 2.0 to 2.5 was therapeutic level. The spots are on only one side, if that matters.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry the pictures just aren’t clear enough and are too blue for me to see anything. I know getting good fish pics are tough…..

From your description it does sound like Lymphocystis, in foxface, those nodules tend to take on the color of the fish’s skin, as opposed to most other species, where they are just white or gray.

The only thing that doesn’t match up is the timing - Lymphocystis more typically shows up in the first few weeks after you acquire the fish, not later like this.

Jay

OP
OP
Hyphnx

Hyphnx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry the pictures just aren’t clear enough and are too blue for me to see anything. I know getting good fish pics are tough…..

From your description it does sound like Lymphocystis, in foxface, those nodules tend to take on the color of the fish’s skin, as opposed to most other species, where they are just white or gray.

The only thing that doesn’t match up is the timing - Lymphocystis more typically shows up in the first few weeks after you acquire the fish, not later like this.

Jay
They are hardly visible under white light. I will try to get a better picture tomorrow. The lights are ramping down right now.

I have low resolution photos from my nest cam that has a blue light filter but then again, you can't see anything.

The foxface was bought on July 5th and immediately went into quarantine the same day the other fish went in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hyphnx

Hyphnx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal

Right above that red line is a line.. almost like bone under the skin and there looks to be a scrap. I'm wondering if the body marks are from the Foxface trying to outrun the specimen cup when I was putting him into the display tank.

Attachments

• IMG_0748.jpeg
    IMG_0748.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
Hyphnx

Hyphnx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treated the tank with Prazi Pro and turns out it was flukes. They are starting to fall off and look like little white worms coming out of the skin.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back