Ich or velvet still? 3 weeks copper power 2.2

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a yellow tang, blue eyed, goby & jawfish in 2.2ppm copper power for 22 days. Had a 5 day ramp up from 1.5 so we’re at 27 days therapeutic. Hanna checker.

It has not dipped. Rock steady. Have done one 50% water change about a week ago and dosed the incoming 10g of water.

The fish are all acting ok, eating, no heavy breathing, fins are clear.

The yellow tang’s body looks like a pimpled teenager (except pale/white color). I’m looking at all the photos of velvet and saying “that’s it” except the fins don’t appear affected.

How is this possible? What could it be? Just scarring/mucus from ich?!

Other 3 are clear. I would take photos but the yellow hides if I come over with camera.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without a clear picture it is impossible to say (even with a clear photo it isn't always possible to be certain). Going on the timeline and your description, it definitely isn't Amyloodinium (velvet). That kills fast and often with no spots at all, just rapid breathing followed by death. Cryptocaryon (ich) is going to show small spots that come and go every 2 to 3 days. If these pimples are in the same spot, day after day, it isn't ich. That all makes sense due to the copper treatment.
So - my guess is that it is one of the turbellarian worms, like the one that causes "black ich". It could also be cysts from a digenean trematode. Either way, it is likely to be a self-limiting disease, where the cysts may remain for a long period, but not increase in numbers, and eventually go away.

I always follow a copper treatment with praziquantel, 3x a week apart. That would be a good idea is this case as it will help deal with trematodes.

Jay

OP
OP
Beau_B

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I was losing my mind a bit because I knew it couldn’t be the “common” parasites that are dealt with utilizing copper. Actually a bit panicked.

I will stay the course and finish the 30 days then do a deworming.

If I can get a photo I'll post it. The YT looks normal in what photos I can get ... more reason it doesn’t hit the marks for ich/velvet.

As long as they continue to eat and swim normally I’ll do my best not to freak out.

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
leave your phone close to your tank, preferably on a tripod. fish will get used to it and stay out in the open.
when taking pics try burst mode. that way you will have a better chance to catch a clear pic.
by pimples do u mean small spots protruding out of the fish's body? dull color is probably reaction to stress.

OP
OP
Beau_B

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish is normal color, bright yellow but with the white bar.

Bumps are like... goosebumps? Not hanging on surface or tufts. Almost look sub dermal if that’s an acceptable description.

Small and numerous. Only visible under strong lighting, with ambient light its invisible.

The tang did have ich when I got it. I have experience with it so familiar with the usual signs. This is different somehow, but still ultimately white (or lighter yellow) specks/spots/bumps all over the body.

It has some mild hlle too, probably came with it, I am feeding nori and ulva along with an assortment of frozen.

As noted, no one is acting distressed but I remain concerned. Will just keep picking away at it.

Appreciate the help and guidance. It’s calming if nothing else!

OP
OP
Beau_B

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll keep trying but this is the best so far. Obviously there is nothing to see. Looks like a young healthy fat (perhaps skittish) yellow tang. With my eye I can see a ton of little bumps on his body though. Hopefully deworming will be the trick.

0DCE17A7-022F-4A19-BED5-4BF1CDB61426.jpeg

OP
OP
Beau_B

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s almost visible here. See the small shadows and highlights. Maybe it’s just the way the skin is and I’m being paranoid. How smooth is their skin supposed to be?

There is one larger spot behind the eye in this pic, just behind the top of the gill plate.

Ok. I have to stop obsessing. Stay the course. Medicate for worms. Will report if I discover/learn anything. Good day to all!

5C647BC3-6CD7-4CDC-9602-523D69E6A3FB.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back