Ich or Velvet?

jcampbell98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a few other opinions on this. I purchased a fully cycled tank and moved some of my existing tank inhabitants over about a week ago. The tank was stocked with 2 midnight clowns, springer damsel and a sergeant major damsel. I transferred from my tank a Lavender tang and 2 perculla clowns.

About 3 days after the move, the tang started showing signs of either ich or velvet. (attaching some photos). about 24 hours later, the tang was dead.
The next day, I noticed the two Perculla clowns starting to act a little strange (not eating, lethargic and producing a lot of extra mucus). The next morning they were both dead.

Yesterday morning, one of the midnight clowns was no where to be found and one of the damsels was dead. I assume it died overnight, but I still have not been able to locate it.

Currently, I am left with one midnight clown and a springer damsel. The springer damsel is showing absolutely no signs of ich or velvet and is eating and acting normal. However, the midnight clown has been looking a little questionable since yesterday morning. I started dosing peroxide, based on the idea that it might be velvet from a forum I read here on how it seems to help with it. Since starting that, the clown has been eating and acting normal and seems to have a little less white spots on it. But, i'm not sure if it is just placebo.

I am attaching a few photos and looking for a few more opinions on if this is just a bad case of ich, or if it is actually velvet.

I went through one tank crash a couple months ago with my original setup (non disease related) and now this, so I am just a bit bummed.

IMG_0644.jpg IMG_0645.jpg IMG_0670.jpg IMG_0673.jpg IMG_0674.jpg IMG_0675.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looking for a few other opinions on this. I purchased a fully cycled tank and moved some of my existing tank inhabitants over about a week ago. The tank was stocked with 2 midnight clowns, springer damsel and a sergeant major damsel. I transferred from my tank a Lavender tang and 2 perculla clowns.

About 3 days after the move, the tang started showing signs of either ich or velvet. (attaching some photos). about 24 hours later, the tang was dead.
The next day, I noticed the two Perculla clowns starting to act a little strange (not eating, lethargic and producing a lot of extra mucus). The next morning they were both dead.

Yesterday morning, one of the midnight clowns was no where to be found and one of the damsels was dead. I assume it died overnight, but I still have not been able to locate it.

Currently, I am left with one midnight clown and a springer damsel. The springer damsel is showing absolutely no signs of ich or velvet and is eating and acting normal. However, the midnight clown has been looking a little questionable since yesterday morning. I started dosing peroxide, based on the idea that it might be velvet from a forum I read here on how it seems to help with it. Since starting that, the clown has been eating and acting normal and seems to have a little less white spots on it. But, i'm not sure if it is just placebo.

I am attaching a few photos and looking for a few more opinions on if this is just a bad case of ich, or if it is actually velvet.

I went through one tank crash a couple months ago with my original setup (non disease related) and now this, so I am just a bit bummed.

IMG_0644.jpg IMG_0645.jpg IMG_0670.jpg IMG_0673.jpg IMG_0674.jpg IMG_0675.jpg
Preliminarily it appears as velvet but these pics are do dark in blue to confirm and clearly see. Please take pics under white intensity only

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is honestly the best I could get with the fish moving.
Unfortunately fish is distant in pic but with white light, appears more to b ich. A quarantine tank will be needed and starting with coppersafe treatment at 2.25 and water quality maintained with added aeration.

OP
OP
J

jcampbell98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately fish is distant in pic but with white light, appears more to b ich. A quarantine tank will be needed and starting with coppersafe treatment at 2.25 and water quality maintained with added aeration.
These are a bit more zoomed in if that helps. Strange enough, the clown seems to be acting normal. The only thing leading me in the velvet direction was the quick turn from healthy -> white spots -> death in about 24 hours of a fish showing symptoms.

Let me know your thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_0683.png
    IMG_0683.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0684.png
    IMG_0684.png
    850.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0682.png
    IMG_0682.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 40

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
These are a bit more zoomed in if that helps. Strange enough, the clown seems to be acting normal. The only thing leading me in the velvet direction was the quick turn from healthy -> white spots -> death in about 24 hours of a fish showing symptoms.

Let me know your thoughts.
Very confusing. Perhaps a video will be more revealing. There is evidence if aggression also on the clownfish's fins,
What I can tell you is whether ich or velvet, Coppersafe will address both but based on severity, you will have to act quickly. Again, treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off

mattb2989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats velvet on the tang. If was me id pull the clown and give it a h202 bath. Then into qt. If you notice less spots you know your dealing with velvet on the clown too

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where pictures just don't work as a diagnostic tool. If you can see distinct white spots, it is ich. However, in advanced cases of ich, the spots become less visible as the mucus tends to run together. I see distinct spots in some images though, so I would say it is advanced ich.

With velvet, you usually see no spots at all, just rapid breathing and not eating. Brooklynella can be confused with advanced ich sometimes.

If you can post a video, that might help.

Once fish loss has begun due to protozoan diseases, it is very difficult to stop it in time to prevent additional losses, but coppersafe at 2.5 ppm in a treatment tank would be the way to go.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back