Ich qt help

6lue9uy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, tank got a problem now. Didn't check on the tank for 2days and came back home with a dead snowflake clown.

Their was 2 fish missing last week as well Assuming dead. Didn't find the bodies

After a closer look I see white dots on my quarter size hippo tang, and a wasse about 1.5-2 inch long, black and white clown (no visible white dots) Assuming it's ich

Now I am currently setting up a 5gallon qt tank. ( only tank that's not being used)

Only ich-x and prazipro on hand

Never used prazipro, do have good luck with ich x in my fresh water tanks

Both said 5ml per 10gallon.
So I guess I'll put 2.5ml
But anyone knows which one I should use?
I do have spare live rocks in the sump so I can use one to help with filtration as well. Put a bubbler in as well

Will be doing some research as well in the main time

I guess the plan is for 3 month for fish and dt tank

luckily I was planning to redo a 10gallon long fresh water tank, now I guess I can just turn it in as a fish only DT tank/qt tank for long term and move them in a bigger tank than a 5 gallon

Lastly. If I use ich x or prazipro, should I still get some copper to use?

Thanks ahead

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich x works, copper is generally the best go to though. Prazi is more for flukes and other worms.
It would be good to get a sponge filter to put on the bubbler for extra bio filtration.
Make sure to keep the dt fallow for at least 76 days.

OP
OP

6lue9uy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich x works, copper is generally the best go to though. Prazi is more for flukes and other worms.
It would be good to get a sponge filter to put on the bubbler for extra bio filtration.
Make sure to keep the dt fallow for at least 76 days.
Thank you. Planning to clean out my old sponge filter from fresh water tank tomorrow and use it.

Do you know if I can put my live rock back in to sump after I'm done treating it? Or should I some how process it till dry then put it back?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5g is fairly small for a tang. Have you thought about just using some type of 20g tote/storage bin?

I no longer quarantine without:

-a powerhead
-an airstone
-a heater
-some live substrate, rock, or "gems". This DOES effect copper treatment, so you have to test copper levels frequently if you do this. I'm currently quarantining a wrasse, so I had to add sand.

I find that survival rate is much, much higher with a high amount of water flow and oxygenation if I'm adding any type of medication. And in Canada, that really means copper, as nothing else is available to the home aquarist. An airstone alone doesn't give enough water movement. I do like HOB filters, but getting one to fit on the side of a tote is more of a challenge. I ended up purchasing a subsurface filtration device off of Amazon. It's not perfect, but probably still helps.

I'm not sure how or why you're treating your live rock. If you've got a parasite in your tank, removing and (presumably) bleaching the live rock won't get rid of it on your substrate, inverts, algae, or glass. It can remain in your display or sump.

I do use a bit of live rock in my quarantine tanks, and even when I dose with copper. The smaller fish seem to find it much more attractive than PVC elbows.

And speaking of which, add PVC elbows so that they have some place to hide.

Copper and hyposalinity are the most widely tested and scientifically verified methods for treating ich and velvet. I haven't seen anything but anecdotes being offered for any other form of "treatment". If you are dosing copper, you must get a high-range copper tester. Hanna Instrument's is easy to use and effective. I'd recommend that.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Planning to clean out my old sponge filter from fresh water tank tomorrow and use it.

Do you know if I can put my live rock back in to sump after I'm done treating it? Or should I some how process it till dry then put it back?
Copper is absorbed by the rock and can be dangerous back in the dt, so I wouldn’t.

mike89t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the quarantine protocol that I currently use:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back